It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gold Label SXS
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Has anyone shot their Gold Label yet?

Post subject: Re: Gold Label SXS
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 7:52 pm 
The question is, has anyone seen a gold label? I have called around and there haven't been any available here in Michigan. One dealer told me he doesn't believe he will ever get one even though he is a stocking dealer. I've about given up. Considering an SKB 385 or a Beretta Silver Hawk. I've heard they are both good guns.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:08 am 
Tournament Grade

There have been two of them on gunbroker.com in the last week. I think one went for $2,175 or there abouts and the other went via buy it now @$2,099. I have seen one here in Minnesota but haven't shot one. Hope to one day though!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:54 pm 
I just recieved my gold label this morning after having a deposit in for quite some time. The guys at the shop were as suprised as I was that it acctually arrived. They recieved two they had ordered. I'm quite pleased with the finish and the gerneral feel, seem's good for the price($1400) .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:18 pm 
Field Grade

Chris - can you get us a full report on your shooting experience and quality of appearance [wood] and operation?
Chill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:53 pm 
Hey Chill would be happy to. I am planning on shooting a few rounds of skeet this weekend, but wont have an oppertunity to shoot it till then. I am quite pleased with the wood, it has some small consistant figure to it. The checkeriing is excelent, cant find any flaws, except that its a little sharp but I suspect that will wear down quickly. Where the stock meets the action, the wood to metal fit is not perfect but passable. The stainless action is flawless, and the triger is crisp. It feels like four pounds but I have not measured it. The barrels are very thin and the bluing is excelent, the only defect I have found is on the under side where a very thin line of soldier can be seen. I will give a report on how i find it's shooting qualities after the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:46 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks Chris. Have fun this weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:20 pm 
Limited Edition

$1400 is a very good price! The law of supply and demand comes in here. SxS can't be made as easily as other types could be a while before they catch up. They might have a very advanced CNC that produces this gun because that price wouldn't go with something made by hand.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:34 pm 
I just got home from shooting the gold label for the first time. I am quite pleased, the gun functioned perfectly. The extractors were a little weak at first but seamed to break in over the ccarse of the day.Shot six rounds of skeet with light one ounce loads and did'nt notice any problems with recoil. Switched to trap and duck tower for a round each with heavier loads and started to get sore. I scored around 20 on every round of skeet wich is about as well as I shoot my other gun (Berreta auto) . I was quite please that I was able to adapt to the ruger so quickly, it seems to fit me well. The real test comes next weekend going after pheasants,huns, and quail. So for a first impression I am very pleased.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:53 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi Chris, Well its sounds as if you had some fun with the new Gold Label! I am assuming you meant the ejectors were a little weak to start with not the extractors. I have always liked the 1 oz. loads back in my old competitive trapshooting days. With the light weight of the Gold Label it makes me wonder how many of us are going to be shooting those 3"er's frequently? Your skeet shooting score at 20 is the absolute best I have ever shot. Had a back injury some 15 years ago and the neuosurgeon told me to give up high level repetitive recoil so for most of my shooting I have been relegated to a Winchester 101 .410, its an older model with fixed chokes I.C./MOD. But fun. Started skeet shooting for the first time in September of '04 and had a blast! It kind of makes trapshooting a bit of a bore, but we still do it! Chris, keep us posted on you and your Gold Label.

Hairy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:57 pm 
Limited Edition

I finally got to handle a Gold Label today for the first time. A 12 gauge, straight-stocked model; I was most amazed at how tiny the thing was. I mean, looking at it on the rack it appeard to be a sub gauge, no bigger than a 28. Most of the time, gun makers do the opposite: make small gauges on larger gauge receivers. This GL was definitely the opposite of that concept.

IMO, a very pretty shotgun: satin smooth stainless reciever, nice walnut and checkering, a little skinny splinter forend, about $1650.

Light.

A good choice for the guy who is lucky enough to be able to tromp through cornfields all day in search of the wily Ringneck. I would think the recoil would be significant, but for a fowling piece this should not be an issue.

Such a little 12 gauge SxS...incredible.

Mike

Last edited by soreshoulder on Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just got back from Cabelas gun library and they informed me that Ruger will be ramping up production on the Gold Label to 200-300 unit per month staring in February 2005. Assuming this is correct(and you what they say about assuming) the wait may soon be over!...but don't forget to inhale every now and then...holding your breath can be fatal

Hairy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:36 pm 
Utility Grade

I got to try my gold label out on pheasants this weekend. The birds were running and flushing long but my dog managed to pin down two and I got both of them. The gun handles well the only thing I'm having trouble with is making the transition from a crossbolt safety to a tang safety. I think in the long run I will like the tang safety better. I could't be happier with the gun, and it is alot nicer to carry than my old Berreta auto.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Chris,

Great to hear a good review on clays and from the field on the Gold Label. Glad you're pleased with it, and I think long term you've made an excellent shotgun investment. I know that I'm lusting for one, even though I'm not a huge SxS fan at this point in my life. Good luck with your new American classic, and welcome to SGW and the Ruger forum here :D !

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:18 pm 
grade6man wrote:
The question is, has anyone seen a gold label? I have called around and there haven't been any available here in Michigan. One dealer told me he doesn't believe he will ever get one even though he is a stocking dealer. I've about given up. Considering an SKB 385 or a Beretta Silver Hawk. I've heard they are both good guns.

There is one on Gunbroker.com for sale right now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:19 pm 
grade6man wrote:

There is one on Gunbroker.com for sale right now.