It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Positive Red Label Reports
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just picked up a RRL because I traded in a couple guns and that was the one that felt the best for the amount I had to work with. I'll be taking her our for the maiden voyage tomorrow and fingers are crossed I don't encounter issues that seem to be reported through forum posts.

Pics to prove she's mine:

I was hoping fellow RRL owners who have had positive experiences and flawless round counts could post and share. This is not intended to be a negative RRL thread because there are enough of those here. Just looking for a place to see the good I can hopefully experience. I hope this makes sense?

Post subject: Re: Positive Red Label Reports
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:05 am 
Field Grade

I have put about 2000 rounds through mine without any problems. Love it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:15 am 
Crown Grade

I like it just sitting in the case.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:45 pm 
Utility Grade

I decided to give a Red Label a try and picked one up about three weeks ago. I've had it to the trap range 3 times and took it on a Pheasant hunt. Only about 250 rounds through it and 4 pheasants. Not a single issue yet. Time will tell, but so far I love it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Got mine home in Feb of last year, only one barrel would go click. The shop sent it back and I got it again about 4 weeks later. After less than a month of shooting two of the vent rib stands started sliding around. I sent it back to Ruger in December. I got it back mid February. No cost, Ruger paid shipping both ways. I've put 50 rounds through it since. No issues so far. I'm considering my options because it doesn't fit me like I think it should and I shoot about 4 birds less out of 25 than with my Nova.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I could give a glowing report on mine, but it would be on a 13 year old 28 gauge. It's maybe not my favorite shotgun, but I shoot it better than any gun I own. Sad that the re-launch of the Red Label has been so up and down.

Gig 'Em Aggies!
Boosting the numbers with every post

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshiped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just shot 125 rounds through my RRL and it worked flawlessly. All shells went bang.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:12 am 
Crown Grade

If I could find one to look at and shoulder, I might sell one of my Benellis and buy one. But I won't buy one sight unseen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Halwg wrote:
If I could find one to look at and shoulder, I might sell one of my Benellis and buy one. But I won't buy one sight unseen.

Possibly ask your local gun club. One of ours has an earlier version RRL (2013 model) and it's been used and abused by guests and never had and issue. That helped me in my decision to give it a try.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:42 pm 
Field Grade

Now up to about 1000 rounds with no problem on the one they sent as a replacement.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 5:48 am 
Field Grade

I have two of the new Red Label, a 30 inch that I use for clays and a 28 inch as a field gun. The 30 has been flawless out of the box with about 1000 rounds through it. The ejector on the lower barrel of the 28 was hanging up now and again during the first shooting session. I flushed it with Ballistol and worked it a bit and haven't had any problems since.

I bought the 28 first and when I heard that Ruger was ceasing production, i bought the 30. I like the idea of an American made shotgun and have always liked Ruger products. Never had any occasion to use their customer service but their reputation is good so I have little concern.

I see there isn't much love for the new Red Label on some forums but I very much like the two I own.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mine has been flawless. However, my retentive nature wasn't happy with a little squeak on the forearm. I sent it in and asked for them to disable the auto safety. They said they'd do it for $15. I got it back last Friday less than 2 weeks from ship date and it's like new and auto-safety was done for free. Woo hoo!!

I know people flame this gun but it's been great for me and the CS is top notch too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I bought one in 1987 and put 5,000 shells a year through it shooting skeet for the next 10 years, plus a few hunting loads. Never had a problem and it's still going strong, but I've switched to the 28 gauge for skeet mostly, also a RRL. I don't know if this can be considered a fair test because I handloaded almost all my 12-gauge skeet shells with 7/8 oz of shot.

The one complaint I have about my 12-gauge RRL is the weight, which is over 8 lbs. I blame steel shot for that, as most manufacturers during that time were beefing up their barrels to handle it.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Old thread but I want to put in my 2 cents. I have a Ruger Red Label made in 1999. I have shot 1000's of rounds through it. It broke once. Sent it to Ruger and had it back in 2 weeks. Other then that no problems at all. I still use it for sporting clays. I am not sure on the new model. You can't find any new or used around here any more.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've got a 20 ga. Sporting Clays that I've had for better then 14 years and it's one of my favorite guns. Thousands of rounds thru it. My only concern is I hear Ruger has quit servicing them and you just never know. My lever is centered but locks up tight as new.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:35 am 
Utility Grade

I own two Red Labels that were passed down to me from my dad since he isn't able to bird hunt anymore. 12 and 20. Both were purchased in the late 1980's. I've used both since I was old enough to bird hunt. As a teenager I was forced to use the 12 most of the time because my dad refused to put down his "baby" the 20 gauge. The 20 is one of the old style with the blued receiver. I can honestly say that I will never buy another O/U shotgun other than a red label. People bash them but I really don't understand it. They feel amazing in hand and shoulder perfectly every time. The only problem we ever had was a reload getting stuck in the chamber in the bottom barrel after being fired, but I think that was a result of a shell being reloaded multiple times and expanding. My next purchase will hopefully be a 28 gauge Red Label.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:06 am 
Utility Grade

I recently purchased a used (year 2000) 12 gauge, 28" Red Label. It is the first O/U I have ever owned. I had shot the Winchester 101 and Franchi Instinct previously, but the Franchi didn't fit me and the 101 felt too clunky. I also considered a used Beretta 686 SP1, and it was nice, but it was going to be another $500 more than the RL. I handled the RL in a gun store and decided to go with it. I liked the low profile receiver and ease at which the gun broke-open. I have taken the gun pheasant hunting and will shoot some skeet this summer. I have really liked this gun for the past month in a couple pheasant hunts. Have been shooting with Mod/IC chokes in and have been hitting more birds than I was earlier in the season with my autoloader. I think the gun fit is really good for me. The gun is a bit heavy (7 3/4#?) after a while in the field, but that might be a good thing for clays. Overall I have been impressed with this gun and look forward to using it for many years to come!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:44 am 
Diamond Grade

I bought one during the 1990's and the only issue I have had was the bottom barrel hammer would sometimes fail to cock if I only opened the gun enough for the ejectors to fire. This would result in a click and no primer dent in the shell when shooting singles. It took me a while to figure out that the click was the empty top barrel firing because the bottom barrel failed to cock.
I made it a habit to make sure I fully opened the gun and the problem went away.

The reason I was even having this problem was because I was trying to catch the shells for reloading and I held my hand over the shells as I slowly opened the gun in order to keep them from being thrown.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:25 am 
Field Grade

I have a 12 with 26 inch barrels that I bought NIB in 1990.I have over 50,00 rounds through it having spent several years shooting skeet leagues.I don't shoot it any more but it is still my favorite.In fact I struggle with my NIB Beretta 687 eell diamond pigeon sporting because it has 30 inch barrels.It took me awhile to get used to my 682 gold e with 28 inch that took the place of the red label.
I don't know if I should send the red back to ruger for a refresh or just keep it like it is. I haven't shot it in years because the lock lever is way way over to the left.Trunnions and the rest of the gun are fine and I'm sure I could still shoot it regular but I have the other guns.Enjoy your gun,just make sure to keep grease on those trunnions or they will gall!