It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not a lover of Red label.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:10 pm 
Field Grade

Received a new shotgun from Ruger due to no fire of bottom barrel. Shot it today...The end piece that keeps both barrels together at the end...has come loose. Only after 100 shots. 12 Ga 7.5 shot. Question is, will this mean another trip back to the factory or can I do something myself? No screws are used so it must be some type of solder or glue? Any ideas how to fix it?

I was going to wrap electrical tape around the barrels to hold them together..Im guessing its not too safe to shoot without the barrels attached to each other? Also when using the bottom barrel it is super hard to open after shooting. I wanted to like this gun, but it is the worst I have ever had of any type to include JC Penny .22's....

Also does anyone have a Browning for sale? Looking for O/U 30 inch plus, 12ga ported barrels...

Post subject: Re: Not a lover of Red label.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

Do not shoot that gun again, and send it back to Ruger this week. They should either fix it or replace it. No wonder they have discontinued the Red Label again.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:17 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

hennigm4 wrote:
Question is, will this mean another trip back to the factory

Yes.

http://randywakeman.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:26 pm 
Utility Grade

Sorry to hear it. I have an 8 year old red label with 26" barrels that I really like but would prefer longer barrels. I bought the gun when I was new to shot gunning and didn't know about barrel lengths. I ordered a new RRL 30" online to complement my older one. Would use the short one for doves and longer one for clays.

Unfortunately when the new one arrived I sent it right back. The wood on the new one looked really inferior to my old one and it just didn't speak to me. Cost me shipping and a restocking fee but the more I read the happier I am I decided to send it back.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

Quote:
The end piece that keeps both barrels together at the end...has come loose

My first (new model) RRL separated at the muzzle as you described. Returned to factory for repair. After it was returned, then the hanger holding the forend fell off (very little solder contact). After less than 300 rounds (and 3 trips to the factory) it was replaced by Ruger with a new gun.

I wanted to trade the new unfired gun (plus cash) at the dealer where I bought it, for a Browning, but he didn't want it. So I gave up on both Ruger and that dealer. Bought a Browning Cynergy from a private party for what I sold the replacement gun for. 75 ducks and 12 pheasants later, I couldn't be happier with the Browning.

I still have a 34 year old RRL 20 gauge (blued steel & fixed chokes) that is flawless and a keeper. It is one of my backup upland guns and used as a loaner for hunting partners if needed.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

I had a 12 Ga RRL that had the stock break three times at the wrist. The stock literally broke in my hand while shooting. They replaced it each time, but I gave up and traded it now some other poor soul is probably sending it back to get the stock repaired.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:02 pm 
Diamond Grade

I had a 12 Ga RRL that had the stock break three times at the wrist. The stock literally broke in my hand while shooting. They replaced it each time, but I gave up and traded it now some other poor soul is probably sending it back to get the stock repaired.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:39 pm 
Utility Grade

I loved mine when I first got it. Only reason I sold it was light strikes on the upper barrel. No one was able to fix it out of 2 gunsmiths. Just heard to many bad things about them and at this point decided to part ways.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Heard alot of bad about the new ones. You just can't make a American made O/U at that pricepoint and do it right. I gotta give Ruger credit for trying. That said I've got a old model 20 gauge Sporting Clays that's a gem.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

ohio mike wrote:
Heard alot of bad about the new ones. You just can't make a American made O/U at that pricepoint and do it right. I gotta give Ruger credit for trying. That said I've got a old model 20 gauge Sporting Clays that's a gem.

I agree, but wonder how the Italians and Japanese make quality guns and decent price points?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:19 am 
Presentation Grade

Most of their guns if not all are priced above the Red Label. Their advantage has always been labor costs. Currently the Turks are taking over a lot of their work. Once again labor costs.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

You would have been better off looking for an older used model. I have a 1998 12 gauge with choke tubes and love the gun. It is my go to gun for sporting clays. It was sent back to Ruger one time when the charging bar broke. Other than that its a fine shotgun.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 am 
Field Grade

I know this a bit late, BUT my hunting buddy sent in his original Red Label (a nice gun) to the factory for repair. They sent him a new now discounted mdl.
1.) it isn't even close to be as nice as his older one and
2.) it now is kicking both shells out when you open the action after the first shot- fired and unfired. It didn't do this when new, but after about 1000 rds.
I tried to tell him to get on line and find a gunsmith that would work on a Red Label (the Original one)- he was having problems w/the safety, IMO it would probably would have been an easy fix. Also IMO they seem to have gone a bit of array(as far as their shotguns) since Bill passed on.