It is currently Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NOS 12g Red Label - Stock Removal
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:41 am 
Diamond Grade

I have a 'new old stock' Red Label that's going to need some re-finishing. I suspect it was stored in a metal container outside. No moisture got to the gun other than humidity. However - it seems the heat was more than the finish could take. The finish now feels tacky / sticky and it isn't a coating. I've tried cleaning it up to no avail.

I also want to check the lockworks as well - just to make sure I don't have a rust monster living in there.

I know the gun was test fired but I suspect that is all. It's circa 1997 or so and fitted with the English style buttstock.

Any advice on take-down? I look and see a mystery in a puzzle box. I think I have figured out how to get the fore-end iron off, but the buttstock I assume has a fastener under the recoil pad (black gummy Ruger standard of the period).

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: NOS 12g Red Label - Stock Removal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:31 am 
Tournament Grade

The stock is secured with a slotted through bolt. Remove the recoil pad to get to the stock bolt. The stock bolt should be torqued to no more than 4 ft pounds when reassembled.

Post subject: Re: NOS 12g Red Label - Stock Removal
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:42 am 
Diamond Grade

Location: Austin, TX, that god-forsaken hell-hole I call home
You're going to need a real long screwdriver to reach the bolt head. The stocks on many other shotguns come off the same way.