It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ruger RL Ejector issues
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:49 pm 
Utility Grade

Having ejector problems with my 12 gauge RRL. I contacted Ruger and they claim they are no longer repairing them. Does anyone have a recommendation on a Ruger "smith"?
Ejector problem seems to be intermittent. I have cleaned everything thoroughly and problem continues despite trying a variety of reloads and or factory fresh shells.
Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject: Re: Ruger RL Ejector issues
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:04 pm 
Field Grade

Can you explain what is or isn't happening? Top or bottom barrel? Failure to eject, could be caused by a dirty chamber and using steel head ammo. Try polishing the chamber with steel wool on a brush. It's less likely but possible that the ejector spring has gotten weak or full of trash/grease. Remove the ejector and spring clean everything. Slide the ejector spring over a nail or something similar and stretch it length. If this helps great, if not post a further explanation and we will try to figure it out. Above all don't worry I'm sure someone will be along soon to bash your Ruger. I have both a 20 & 28 each with well over 50,000 round thru them. With normal maintenance they have been great.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:13 pm 
Crown Grade

When I had mine (in 28), the ejector kept slipping over the rim of the shell - no matter what brand of ammo. Ruger tried three times to get it fixed - they never could.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Both barrels at random times. Steel head ammo not used but I will polish the chambers as recommended. Do you know of a video or instructions to remove the ejector springs and where I can get new springs? Thanks. Despite minor problems I love Rugers. I bought one of the early twenty gauge guns (sk/sk) and it was my go to gun for preserve and wild pheasants. It's been passed along to my nephew to continue the tradition. If it wasn't for him I would have kept it forever. Never had a problem with it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:25 am 
Field Grade

Removing ejectors from a Ruger red label is relatively simple. With the barrels removed from the gun:
1) Place the muzzle against something solid.
2) Use something like the handle of a screwdriver to fully compress the ejector.
3) With your fingers pull the other end of the ejector away from the barrels.
4) Release pressure on the ejector and slide it upward and off.
5) Reassemble the same way.

This video is a really good idea of how it works, except Ruger does not have the notches.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=scJtPIq61Jc

MidwayUSA, Brownells, and Numrich gun parts all list Ruger ejector springs on their sites.