It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LX702 (LX500's too?)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: Dutchess County, NY - the northern most county of Alabama
Shooting my LX702 GCT late last year I broke the twin wood screws that holds the forearm iron to the wood forearm. Both heads popped off and the wood can away from the gun and iron. Screws are recessed into the iron at the back end in the curved portion where the forearm mates with the main gun receiver.

These 2 screws keep the iron from backing out of the wood and are the only thing tying the two pieces together. Front of the iron is held by the leading edge that slides unto a pocket in the wood that keeps the iron from "popping" up at the front edge.

I spoke to gunsmith Basil S. about getting the screws replaced and he was asking $100 or more plus shipping. He was aware of this problem and has seen it before and suggested modifying the forearm assembly with a new bolt going into a "button". I don't know were the "button" was going to located, but is sounded like the button or bolt would have to be visible in the wood. This would fix the problem once and for all, I guess.

However, I no "likey" that idea and didn't want a bolt or button in the middle of the checkering. So I didn't follow through with having the mod done by Basil. I set about trying to figure out just what size metric wood screws were used by the factory. Found out that small metric and SAE wood screws can somewhat be cross-referenced. 4mm = #4 SAE and this appeared to be the correct SAE size. I stopped in at a Woodcrafter store and bought a 100 pack of #4 SAE screws in black oxide and am in the process of using them since the head is nearly the exact same size.

Cost was about $5 and I will still have 98 more for future replacements. :P

- Ben Franklin