It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LX5xx series info
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:30 pm 
Limited Edition

A fellow shooter asked me for the breakdown/differences between all the 5xx guns and I sent him the message below. He thought other may be interested so I am posting it here.

Hoselayer, KT, Bonasa please correct errors/expand .

MJ

The 5xx series guns are basically all the same mechanically. The primary differences is cosmetic: wood quality, degree of engraving and receiver composition (blue, case hardened or silver - with or without gold inlay). Some models come with ported barrels and midbeads and/or upgraded recoil pads as well as hi-viz sights. All have a schnabel forend except the LX506 is beaver tail. Most are 28" barrels except the SC models and the 507.

The firing and cocking mechanisms are the same in all recent guns. The older ones had inertia mechanisms for the trigger to fire the second barrel but the recent ones all have mechanical triggers.

The LX500 has extractors whereas all the others have ejectors.

So they are as follows:

LX500 - silver receiver - light engraving, extractors, 28" barrels, bead sight, entry level wood - gloss finish
LX501 - blue or silver receiver, light engraving (game scene), ejectors, 28" barrels bead sight, entry level wood - gloss finish
LX502 - silver receiver - light engraving (game scene), ejectors, 28" barrels, bead sight, little better wood - gloss finish
LX503 - silver receiver - engraving (gold game scene),ejectors, 28" barrels, bead sight, better wood - oil finish
LX504 - case receiver engraving (gold game scene),ejectors, 28" barrels, bead sight, better wood - oil finish
LX505 - blue receiver - engraving (gold game scene),ejectors, 28" barrels, Hi viz sight, best wood - oil finish
LX506 - case receiver engraving (gold game scene),ejectors, 28" barrels, bead sight, better "light" walnut wood - gloss finish - beaver tail forend
LX507 - now this one I have never seen in person but I believe it is the same as the 503 except the barrel lengths were different depending on the gauge.
LX505SC - sporting model - same as the 505 except this came with 8 shokes (5 Briley extendeds), ported 30" barrels and a midbead hiviz sight system - and different engraving.
LX503SC - same as the 503 with sporting features like the 505SC

Post subject: re: LX5xx series info
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:43 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes, that pretty much sums up the LX5xx series Verona shotguns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:10 pm 

I will say you did a pretty good job. However, we can not let you think you know as much as us, :wink: :lol: so......The "light" walnut wood on the 506 is called blonde walnut.

Sorry, I just had to keep one leg up on you...LOL

All in good fun, like I said, I think you did a great job with the summary.

Those that can, do.......because they had good teachers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:24 pm 
DFW Dominant Predator

:idea: :arrow: ......How about placing the info listed by mjgunner in a STICKY for FAQ's :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:36 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks for pulling all this info into one complete and accurate list, Mike; it's a big help for everyone who struggles to keep the details straight in their head, especially when seeing a model listed in a classified ad and trying to recollect details just off of a listed model number.

I might add that, in my experience, all Verona wood is a cut above any I've seen in any other comparably priced shotguns--and in some cases far exceeds the quality of wood found on far more expensive guns. For instance, my lowly LX-500 boasts a buttstock with spalting and fiddleback like one would normally find in a Grade III or IV Beretta; it's even nicer than the Turkish walnut that adorns my 506-GL. Of the dozens of LX guns I've seen, I can only think of one or two that had humdrum, straight-grained wood, similar to what you'd find on a field grade Citori.

Again, thanks for creating the list, and thanks to the mod for posting it where it belongs, as a top-of-the-column sticky.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:52 am 
Limited Edition

i thought the other models after the 501 series also had lengthened forcing cones. or at least i know at one time there was a discussion on the subject.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Do you have any idea what a n/i/b/ Verona LX506GL might be worth?
Thanks!
Smurf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:02 pm 
Limited Edition

OK - So Dick's listed these for $999 and sold them at $799 as their so-called permanent sale - If you know Dick's you know what I mean.

I bought two for around $650 ea on clearance 12 and 20 ga.
They are amazing...

Anyway, if it is a 12 or 20 gauge around $600 would be a good deal IMHO. Some might tell you to try to get it for $500 or less. But NIB - $600 would be good. To buy a similar FAIR or Milano gun now you'd pay over $800.

If it is a 28 or 410 tell me and I'll buy it :D Seriously, in 28 or 410 I'd personally pay up to $700...

MJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well guys I was the LGS today and I saw my FIRST 502. Nice gun. It was an easy 98% 20 ga for 479. What say ye? :lol:

Post subject: Re: LX5xx series info
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:40 am 
Diamond Grade

:!: Does anyong know what the LX503's went for new in 12 GA????

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:54 am 
Diamond Grade

Dick's sold the 503s for about $600, if my memory serves me. Occasionally, they're run them on sale as low as $579.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:07 pm 
Limited Edition

Yeah, my LX503 was around $600... back in 2003/2004. Can't remember exactly when I got it. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

When I bought my LX502 it looked like never been fired, paid $400 in a pawn shop. Put 2 $50 Trulock tubes on it and busted some clays for awhile. Shoots great and is a beautiful gun, and I have $500 in it. I took it to a gun show to see if I could turn a few bucks, but Blue Book only shows the 501 in that series. One guy was interested but was afraid to mess with it since the 502 was not in the book. I said it was "up" a little from the 501, but no dice. I'll try next show and go for the "better wood" angle, and maybe print off the first post here. Any ideas?