It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Payment method
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:57 pm 
Utility Grade

What is the most secure and best payment method to use for buying/selling? A guy on here wants to do a transaction with money order via usps. I just don't want to get screwed over as it has happened to me before.

Post subject: Re: Payment method
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:04 pm 
Crown Grade

That is preferred as the USPS takes mail fraud very seriously. The worst method is wiring via Western Union.
Otherwise face to face

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Wouldnt paypal be most secure? If there is an issue on either buyer or seller the dispute would go through pp and they are both protected

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've done USPS Money Order before on both ends (buyer and seller). He sends the Money Order, you cash it at the post office, and send the gun the same day.

Of course, I always talk to my sellers on the phone. Get a feel for if the guy is going to screw me or not. The buyer generally has to have more faith in you than you do in him. Once you have the $$, you could run.

#MMUSOpen2019 #TheForkUSOpen2021 #marist89ForAC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:06 pm 
Utility Grade

Yea i am the buyer...i have been screwed over before..and i am sending a lot of money so i am a little mpre cautios about it now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:15 pm 
Crown Grade

B.rich108 wrote:
Yea i am the buyer...i have been screwed over before..and i am sending a lot of money so i am a little mpre cautios about it now

Have you talked to the seller?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

B.rich108 wrote:

If you're the buyer, it's customary for you to send the money to him via USPS money order. He cashes the money order and then sends the gun to your FFL.

Obviously, you need to check him out well before sending him money. As Jeff said, get his name and phone number and talk with him. Ask for references or additional pictures, or whatever it would take to satisfy you that he is legit. Search him on Facebook or other social media. Don't send the money order until you're reasonably well satisfied. I don't suppose you could ever be 100% certain, but I've never had any difficulties in buying or selling this way. The buyer is the one taking most of the risk.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:38 pm 
Utility Grade

I have been emailing the seller. It just seems to me the most secure way is goods &servoces paypal. If the seller is a scammer or sends you something that is not what he said, paypal will gove money back..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

B.rich108 wrote:
Wouldnt paypal be most secure?

Much to my annoyance PayPayl does not allow their service to be used for firearm purchases.

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/arti ... rms-FAQ585

You could probably still use the service to send the money and they would be none the wiser, but as you are in violation of their usage policy you could not count on them assisting in any way in the event of a dispute.

I have used USPS money order and also used a Cashiers check. Both work fine. I have been told that using a USPS money order makes any transgression 'mail fraud and a felony'. Do not know if that is true.

As others have mentioned, I would first see if the person has a good track record. I would also have conversations/preferrably email conversations that could be referenced later. Clear up any concerns, inspection period, return policy, who pays for shipping, etc. Pay attention to what your gut is telling you. If it is telling you something is fishy...then do not do it. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. On the other hand if the person sounds like a decent human, and reasonable, then I would not let a previous bad experience overshadow this one.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:21 pm 
Tournament Grade

Paypal definitely is NOT secure for firearms transactions. They're not going stand behind a transaction that is specifically prohibited by their terms of service. https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/arti ... rms-FAQ585

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:43 pm 
Utility Grade

I am looking at buying the 20ga 686 with 28" barrels on page 2. The wood looks to be dofferent from that of a grade 1. However..the price is in there at grade 1 pricing. He seems legit but I just dont want to get screwed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:25 pm 
Crown Grade

B.rich108 wrote:
Wouldnt paypal be most secure? If there is an issue on either buyer or seller the dispute would go through pp and they are both protected

Paypal is VERY antigun and will freeze your accounts and money for an indeterminate time period.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Maybe someone else that knows the seller can stand up for them that's a member in here or another site. I like USPS money order better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:16 pm 
Crown Grade

USPS money order or credit card. Either way, someone will be on your side if things go bad.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:31 am 
Crown Grade

Once you get the mailing address for funds.......Google Earth the location. I won't be sending big $$$ funds/guns off to a "sh*thole" again. Had I done this before I sent my Perazzi off to a so called "well known & recommended" gunsmith (Kelso Gunsmithing AKA Big Az Al), I would have saved myself a TON of time & aggravation with Arizona PD & ATF agents.................................................

Blaser F3 Super Trap 34" Unsingle
Beretta DT11 30" Skeet
Beretta SP 1 30" Sport
Browning Ultra XS Sport 30"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:51 am 
Tournament Grade

Take a look at the buyers profile and ask if he is on any other forums/ebay that shows any kind of track record of him either selling or buying. As others have suggested, a phone number and a call can sometimes help get a feel for the person.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You could get the sellers FFL guy to confirm with your FFL guy he has the gun in question. Your FFL guy could confirm he put the check in the mail.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:05 am 
Crown Grade

The gun has to be sent to a FFL dealer. Give that dealer your USPS money order to hold until the gun arrives and you inspect it. If everything is OK, have the dealer send the money order to the seller.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:55 am 
Crown Grade

albanygun wrote:
The gun has to be sent to a FFL dealer. Give that dealer your USPS money order to hold until the gun arrives and you inspect it. If everything is OK, have the dealer send the money order to the seller.

No way am I sending a gun without payment first.

That said, there are a few third party types who act as agents for both buyer and seller where everything is shipped to them and then released to both parties.

TALK to the person involved and let your inner sense tell you if it sounds good or bad. I have bought and sold guns on here and elsewhere and never had an issue. In all but two, payment was by USPS money orders, which I took to the PO and cashed.Then I used USPS to ship the gun. The other instances were FTF for cash.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

B.rich108 wrote:
I am looking at buying the 20ga 686 with 28" barrels on page 2. The wood looks to be dofferent from that of a grade 1. However..the price is in there at grade 1 pricing. He seems legit but I just dont want to get screwed

I get the impression that you do not trust the seller . You might want to put on his shoes for a bit . if YOU were the seller would you send the gun to a buyer without getting payment first ? Takes some trust by both parties for a deal to be made .
As a side note , if I were the seller (which I am not) we would not have to worry about any of this . Reason being , I would not sell anything to anyone that did not trust me at least as much as I would be trusting them .