It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Payment method
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Trust but verify. As mentioned above, research on the seller/buyer to the extent possible and use a verified/secure payment method such as USPS/Amex/etc. For items which have significant value/risk you may also want to consider (i) brokering through an FFL or (ii) a 3rd party escrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:42 pm 
Utility Grade

I backed out on the buy. I spoke with anpther guy on here who is willing to sell me the same gun for a good price. For whatever reason, I just didnt have a gopd feeling about it. Thanks for the help guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

Smart move. The other fellow might have, and possibly is a straight up guy but if it doesn't feel right then it is time to step aside. Glad you found what you wanted.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:10 pm 
Field Grade

Have bought 2 things over the net, (other than big box )
1. From eBay - 1985 Colony Park Wagon - contacted the seller - he gave me Name, Address and work -Goggled him, turned out to be a pastor, . not sure which of us more nervous, over $5000 - wire transferred the money - car was as described - it worked out just fine
2. Recently bought a DryFire system from someone on Trapshooters, Bob_K connected us, (as I have been banned from Trapshooters - ???) Emailed back and forth, got his name, address, from there Goggled him - he is a CEO, so not likely to cheat for something like this.

Ran across something on Armlist - that made me feel uncomfortabel, no last name, difficult to connect and never gave phone numer - I walked

In todays world with the net - it is difficult for anyone to hide - if I can not find them - I would pass.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:02 pm 
Field Grade

I always talk on the phone and have them send me a text a photo their drivers license

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:29 am 
Tournament Grade

I have bought and sold many shotguns found online. Talking to the seller and getting to know him was always done. Exchanging info like DL and clubs they shoot at helps. Buyers of my guns have been highly satisfied. Each shotgun I bought was exactly as described and I was happy. I have paid by US Postal Money Order and Cashiers Checks. Now I use my local FFL gunshop to package and ship to the buyers FFL.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm in the process of selling a gun and am very concerned what the best payment method is. Cashiers checks or certified checks can be forged. The bank will give you the money, then several days or weeks later and the payment is found out by the bank not to be good, the seller is responsible to pay the bank back. I'm thinking a wire transfer between banks might be the best. I also was under the impression that guns could not be shipped USPS and had to be shipped FedEx.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:48 pm 
Crown Grade

Anyone can use USPS for longguns; only a FFL can ship a handgun via USPS. Personally, I would never do a wire transfer to pay for a gun; it's too easy to get ripped off as there is zero protection for the buyer. USPS money order works well. I cash the check(s) and then ship the gun the same day.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:26 am 
Diamond Grade

Re: cashier's checks; they frequently have features that aren't easily duplicated like watermarks, metallic strips and holograms. If you get a crude check from the E. Egypt Credit Union, just cash it and wait a while to ship. Bear in mind the delivery is going to an FFL so they'll at least have to confirm the identity of the buyer.

Re: shipping; I've used all of the big three.

With UPS you pretty much need to go to one of their distribution centers, which is probably not close by. The kids at your local UPS store are going to freak out when you tell them you're shipping a gun. Other mom-n-pop UPS reps might have trouble insuring your shipment.

With USPS you might find yourself having to convince your local clerks and postmaster that they can accept an uncontrolled long arm. I did. After shipping for me they suddenly did an about face based on a hand written memo that said all guns had to ship FFL-to-FFL only. I had to copy the regs and review them with them before they let me ship again (for the last time). I've also had USPS clerks simply wig out on me (like the kids at UPS) and scold me like a potential felon. All that said, USPS is expensive and as likely as UPS to beat up your package. Initially my first choice, now my last.

I now ship exclusively through my local FedEx store. I ship ground, insured and its there in a few days. Its easy and it's cheap, so much better than the other two.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Regardless which carrier I use to ship a firearm, here is a tip that may reduce the likelihood of theft of the gun.

When addressing the package/box to the FFL, don't include any wording that would indicate that it's a gun store.

For example, if you're shipping the gun to Smith's Pawn and Gun, just address it to "Smith's Store" or "Smith's Business" or just "Smith's". If you've got the address correct, they'll still get the package delivered to the right place even if you don't include the word "gun" or "pawn shop" in the address.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
No way am I sending a gun without payment first.

YUP.

#MMUSOpen2019 #TheForkUSOpen2021 #marist89ForAC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:34 am 
Presentation Grade

Jayce23 wrote:
I always talk on the phone and have them send me a text a photo their drivers license

Ding ding ding ding ding! We have a winner! Always, ALWAYS, talk to the seller on the phone. Did I mention ALWAYS?

If they won't give a phone no. or answer a phone call, pass. Every time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:34 am 
Crown Grade

Last time I shipped a gun, I shipped it to the buyer's name C/O the FFL's name (NOT his gun store's name) that way, no mention of gun is in the address. Now, the FEDEX clerk knows what the store is as she pulls it up, but no one along the way does until the delivery driver.....

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:27 pm 
Field Grade

I believe the regulations with both UPS and USPS state that there can be no markings on the package identifying it as a firearm.

Not only that, I don't believe it's legal to ship a firearm of any kind across state lines unless it's going to an FFL. Even if I was shipping in-state I would insist on shipping it to an FFL.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have used USPS Money Orders as a buyer and a seller and I take them to my bank. I am not sure why you would go to the Post Office to cash a money order. What am I missing in the discussion?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

During my almost 50 years in LE, I hold the US Postal Inspectors above all other federal LEOs in regard to their expertise. They and the Treasury Investigators were the best and didn't take credit for my cases like the some of the other agencies. I rate the Postal Inspectors above them all, having dealings with all, or most of the federal LE agencies.

Thus, I use the local post office for all my shipments and use postal money orders for payment. I have not had to utilize the services of the Postal Ispectors for any postal problems due to all of them working like clockwork.

Should a problem arise, I would not hesitate to calll on them. I have seen their work and am amazed at how they stick to a case until someone gets a trip to the Graybar Hotel. They don't give up and have all the time in the world to solve their cases.

Government’s first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives. Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oyeme wrote:
I have used USPS Money Orders as a buyer and a seller and I take them to my bank. I am not sure why you would go to the Post Office to cash a money order. What am I missing in the discussion?

If the USPS Money Order happens to be a forgery, then the bank won't get paid from the Post Office and you will have the amount charged back to you or your account. Meanwhile, you've sent the gun off to the buyer's FFL.

If, OTOH, you take the USPS Money Order directly to the Post Office, they will determine right then whether it's a forgery/fake or not. If it's bad, they won't cash it and presumably you wouldn't send the gun out to the buyer.

In short, if the Money Order is not good, I want to know about it IMMEDIATELY, not 5 to 7 days later after I've already sent out the gun.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:08 am 
Presentation Grade

So as the Buyer I am supposed to trust that you have the item and will send it but as the Seller you do not have to trust that I have sent you honest payment ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oldman1949 wrote:
So as the Buyer I am supposed to trust that you have the item and will send it but as the Seller you do not have to trust that I have sent you honest payment ?

Now you're catching on. Pretty soon you'll have it figured out. :wink:

In an online transaction, the seller holds all the cards. It's up to the buyer to satisfy himself that the seller is honest and will deliver on what he promised. The seller need only make sure that he has good payment before shipping the gun to the buyer's FFL.

If this doesn't seem reasonable to you, how about checking with numerous online Dealers (like Bud's Gun Shop or Able Ammo or Joel Etchen) and let us know how many you find that will ship you a gun before you send them any payment of any kind.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:50 am 
Crown Grade

Quote:
Not only that, I don't believe it's legal to ship a firearm of any kind across state lines unless it's going to an FFL. Even if I was shipping in-state I would insist on shipping it to an FFL.

IIRC, there is one exception - guns left to someone in a will