It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Payment method
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Oldman1949 wrote:
So as the Buyer I am supposed to trust that you have the item and will send it but as the Seller you do not have to trust that I have sent you honest payment ?

Now you're catching on. Pretty soon you'll have it figured out. :wink:

In an online transaction, the seller holds all the cards. It's up to the buyer to satisfy himself that the seller is honest and will deliver on what he promised. The seller need only make sure that he has good payment before shipping the gun to the buyer's FFL.

If this doesn't seem reasonable to you, how about checking with numerous online Dealers (like Bud's Gun Shop or Able Ammo or Joel Etchen) and let us know how many you find that will ship you a gun before you send them any payment of any kind.

I caught on a long time ago . All the online dealers that I have ever bought from accepted credit cards so both of us were protected . And they did not hold the item until payment was received from the card company either .
I wonder who has been "ripped off" most often the buyer or the seller ? From what I have read it would appear that the buyer it taken most of the time . If I were buying from you and you told me you were going to hold shipment until my Postal Money Order cleared your bank I would have to tell you the deal was off . Tell me I am a thief but to trust that you are not ? It takes trust from both parties for a deal to be completed .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:51 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Oldman1949 wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
Oldman1949 wrote:
So as the Buyer I am supposed to trust that you have the item and will send it but as the Seller you do not have to trust that I have sent you honest payment ?

Now you're catching on. Pretty soon you'll have it figured out. :wink:

In an online transaction, the seller holds all the cards. It's up to the buyer to satisfy himself that the seller is honest and will deliver on what he promised. The seller need only make sure that he has good payment before shipping the gun to the buyer's FFL.

If this doesn't seem reasonable to you, how about checking with numerous online Dealers (like Bud's Gun Shop or Able Ammo or Joel Etchen) and let us know how many you find that will ship you a gun before you send them any payment of any kind.

I caught on a long time ago . All the online dealers that I have ever bought from accepted credit cards so both of us were protected . And they did not hold the item until payment was received from the card company either .
I wonder who has been "ripped off" most often the buyer or the seller ? From what I have read it would appear that the buyer it taken most of the time . If I were buying from you and you told me you were going to hold shipment until my Postal Money Order cleared your bank I would have to tell you the deal was off . Tell me I am a thief but to trust that you are not ? It takes trust from both parties for a deal to be completed .

As soon you enter the data for your online credit card purchase and click the "Accept" button, the money is transferred from your account to the seller's account by the credit card company, so the seller has his money in his account before he sends out the gun.

The overwhelming majority of private sellers are going to want the same "money in hand" assurance. Very few of them will ship a gun based on a personal check or on your word that you'll send money unless they know you personally. If you don't want to deal like that, that's your choice. There's no point in railing against the system because I can't do anything about it, and neither can you. But, if it makes you feel better, go right ahead.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:24 pm 
Presentation Grade

The system is what it is . I just have a hard time understanding why the buyer is considered to be the thief when in most all cases it is the seller that is dishonest .

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
Quote:
Not only that, I don't believe it's legal to ship a firearm of any kind across state lines unless it's going to an FFL. Even if I was shipping in-state I would insist on shipping it to an FFL.

IIRC, there is one exception - guns left to someone in a will

You can also send a firearm across state lines to yourself without involving a FFL dealer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
Quote:
Not only that, I don't believe it's legal to ship a firearm of any kind across state lines unless it's going to an FFL. Even if I was shipping in-state I would insist on shipping it to an FFL.

You can also send a firearm across state lines to yourself without involving a FFL dealer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

B.rich108 wrote:
Wouldnt paypal be most secure? If there is an issue on either buyer or seller the dispute would go through pp and they are both protected

Not if it involves firearms...against PayPal policy to use for firearms...you'll risk getting your account locked, nevermind any sort of coverage.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

oyeme wrote:
I have used USPS Money Orders as a buyer and a seller and I take them to my bank. I am not sure why you would go to the Post Office to cash a money order. What am I missing in the discussion?

Post Office can cash USPS money orders...if they have enough cash on hand to cover it. For some, it can be more convenient.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Customstox wrote:
oneounceload wrote:
Quote:

You can ship a long gun only to yourself I believe.
And I’ve never heard of the left in a will exception.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mpolans wrote:
oyeme wrote:
I have used USPS Money Orders as a buyer and a seller and I take them to my bank. I am not sure why you would go to the Post Office to cash a money order. What am I missing in the discussion?

Post Office can cash USPS money orders...if they have enough cash on hand to cover it. For some, it can be more convenient.

I have never been able to get the PO to cash one of its money orders. They always say they don't have enough cash on hand and send me to the bank. Maybe I need to start selling cheaper guns. :roll:

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Zbigniew wrote:
USPS money order or credit card. Either way, someone will be on your side if things go bad.

I wouldn’t put too much stock in the USPS coming to your rescue. The little research that I have done (when I was in the same spot as you) would suggest that to do so would be overly optimistic. Nothing will take the place of doing independent research on the seller — talk to them, ask for specific photos that will illustrate the condition of the gun, look up the seller’s address and phone number, ask for references, etc. If the deal feels wrong to you, let it go. Generally, I have had good luck when I exercised appropriate caution. There are a lot of totally honest and excellent people using this forum to buy and sell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OldSkeeter wrote:
mpolans wrote:
oyeme wrote:

I have never been able to get the PO to cash one of its money orders. They always say they don't have enough cash on hand and send me to the bank. Maybe I need to start selling cheaper guns. :roll:

But, by stopping at the PO first I would hope they could confirm its a legit money order and not a fake.

Steve