CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Issue with +2 extension on 870
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:37 pm 
Tournament Grade

I got my new 870 to the rang today finally, put a good 100ish shells through it without a single shooting malfunction.

However, I'm having an issue with the +2 stock Remington extension, around 50 percent of the time it doesn't want to let me load the +2 shells. Is this a normal "breaking in" issue, Or should I call Remington about it?

Or is there an easier fix?

Post subject: Re: Issue with +2 extension on 870
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

A couple of possibilities:

1. A coil is binding up on on the coupling in that it may be coming loose. If you go to aippi's site he explains how to correct the problem. I think it's a problem fairly unique to the Remington extensions which is why a lot of his guns have customers who remove them and want something else.

2. Your follower may be hanging up on the coupling area. Is it chamfered or is it the standard Remington orange one? I run the S&J Hardware acid green follower that is chamfered on both ends and it doesn't hang at all.

Last edited by Buffering on Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Take the extension off and make sure there are no burrs that might be causing the follower to hang up. Verify that there are no "dimples" in the magazine tube, and that the spring is not kinked.

These instructions from AIP may help:
http://www.aiptactical.com/Page_2.html

Tube Extensions:

First we have to assume you removed the detents from you mag tube if you are installing the tube extension on an Express model. If not, then you have to so go to the how to video "tube extension kit" and follow that.

Here is the biggest install mistakes guys make. If you have installed you tube and can't get but 4 or 5 rounds in it, you have installed it incorrectly. The Remington LE tube extension is made to install apart. Look at the instruction sheet at the parts. There is a magazine tube coupling, a tube, a bracket, a bracket screw, a follower and a magazine spring. Screw the mag tube coupling off the tube and lay all the parts out in front of you.

Install your barrel then take the magazine tube coupling and screw that on first. Install the follower and spring. Feed the spring down by capturing it with and holding it in place as you work it down. Place the tube over the spring and bring it down to the coupling and begin to screw it on. When you get it screwed most of the way on take the heel of you hand and pop the mag tube coupling. You are doing this to ensure that the spring is not getting caught in the threads. If you tighten the tube down on the threads the spring will bind and you will not be able to fully load the tube, or, the spring will pop out and you can load the tube but the spring will hand up from time to time. So, pop the coupling to make sure the spring is not binding and screw the tube down some more. Repeat this as you tighten the tube down.

When removing the tube extension it can screw off as one unit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:50 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm going to work with those suggestions, but if I can't get the kink worked out buying a new non-Remington extension wouldn't kill me.

Just while the night is young, does anyone have suggestions on a +2 extension?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Carbonstorm wrote:
I'm going to work with those suggestions, but if I can't get the kink worked out buying a new non-Remington extension wouldn't kill me.

Just while the night is young, does anyone have suggestions on a +2 extension?

Wilson: http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Magazine-Extension-Tubes-Followers-Springs/products/163/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

NY always thinks he's right. :mrgreen:

I have a Vang on my 870P.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:18 pm 
Limited Edition

Buffering wrote:
NY always thinks he's right. :mrgreen:

I have a Vang on my 870P.

Nothing to do with being "right"; The OP asked for suggestions and I gave him one. As you know, there are several excellent options, including Wilson, VCS, Nordic, Choate, etc.

With respect to Wilson (which I prefer) vs. VCS: Wilson - $45; VCS - $75. Advantage: Wilson. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:28 pm 
Tournament Grade

I opened her up again (I made sure to scrub and lube it really well before shooting) and I didn't feel any noticeable burrs, but I did a light going over on the inside and edges of both the tube, the extension, and the follower(orange). I made sure the extension went on nice and tight, and it's loaded shells five and six 10 times in a row. Granted blasting off a round could jiggle it back to how it was before.

It is a little bit on the end of crappy in the general design, so even if this works I'll be planning to pick up a new extension. Sitting here looking right now the Wilson Combat will probably be what I go for, one of those and a 6rd Tac-Star style sidesaddle.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:57 pm 
Limited Edition

We had the tac star side saddles on some of our duty shotguns prior to going to the VangComp DSAC. I would suggest you remove and reinstall the 6 (?) small machine screws using blue loctitie. The recessed machine screws that you see on the face of the sidesaddle can back out under recoil and are very difficult to find. We had several sidesaddles lose one or more of these screws during a week long shotgun course before we noticed and went back and used blue loctite to secure them. It could have been a bad batch but its probably worthwhile to loctite them in any case.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:18 pm 
Tournament Grade

terrymo wrote:
We had the tac star side saddles on some of our duty shotguns prior to going to the VangComp DSAC. I would suggest you remove and reinstall the 6 (?) small machine screws using blue loctitie. The recessed machine screws that you see on the face of the sidesaddle can back out under recoil and are very difficult to find. We had several sidesaddles lose one or more of these screws during a week long shotgun course before we noticed and went back and used blue loctite to secure them. It could have been a bad batch but its probably worthwhile to loctite them in any case.

Oh yes, loctite and I are very good friends. That's something I've seen suggested by the Magpul shotgun vids and a lot of other sources.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:17 am 
Utility Grade

1 vote here for Nordic Comp. It is a well designed piece, but is pricey especially if you add in the barrel clamp. Much better made than the factory 870 extension. An added benefit is the ability to lengthen or shorten and only having to buy a tube.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:47 am 
Tournament Grade

I think I might have finally solved this problem. For the past month I've been fiddling with the stock extension and while I made it better, every so often while I was practicing loading off the rig that I've been working on, it would still jam up on the 6th round. I've been in the situation of having a gun I couldn't trust before (Franchi Alcione Ti that loved to randomly shoot both barrels at once), and I was not about to have that problem again. Especially if it was just with one replaceable part.

Therefore I was shopping around Brownells, checking out the different extensions, and I saw the picture for the Remington factory extension. Call me an idiot, but I hadn't realized it was a multi-part extension. It felt like one piece of metal every time I've taken it off and screwed it back on. So I pulled the sucker off, unscrewed the ring off the tube, went over the lip of the tube with a very fine grit emery pad, then screwed it all back together tight after giving it all a thin coat of oil.

I've now been sitting here unloading and reloading for the past 45 minutes without a single jam up. I still want to get a new follower/spring. I just can't believe I didn't catch that before.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:35 pm 
Field Grade

I have no issues with my +2 extension on my 870 Tactical. I installed the Nut on first, and then screw on the extension like said above. If the spring has twisted at all, I tend to push on the follower to try and get any potential kinks out. Usually after that I'll load 6 up and rack them out to ensure good feeding, then reload my HD load.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

I used to have problems with my factory extensions too. I was able to solve the problem though by threading the nut over the extension after it had already been pressed against the base magazine. You'll notice if you strip it down that the nut will click a few times engaging the ball detent without the tube but once you put it on, it will click maybe once. Get the tube on and tighten the nut over it. Don't tighten the nut then the tube. I use a Nordic Components follower in both of my 870s and since I figured out the tube threading riddle and got that follower, it loads and feeds smooth as can be. The only reason I would replace it would be because I HATE the clamp with that jingly, noisy sling swivel. I think the +2 extensions look better without a clamp anyway. I don't use one on my Mossberg 930 or my Benelli Nova Tactical.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:13 am 
Tournament Grade

Misery556 wrote:
The only reason I would replace it would be because I HATE the clamp with that jingly, noisy sling swivel. I think the +2 extensions look better without a clamp anyway. I don't use one on my Mossberg 930 or my Benelli Nova Tactical.

One of the things I plan on doing is replacing the stock clamp with a larger clamp that either integrates a light mount, or has a small strip of RIS to put a light on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:40 pm 
Limited Edition

I have had good luck with Factory, Choate and TacStar magazine extensions on a selection of Remington 12 gauge guns. I recently bought a used Remington factory +2 from a forum member here because I prefer factory gear on a duty/HD gun that might have liability exposure. My fun guns however have all worked great with the Choate or TacStar extensions. The "better stuff" will cost more and might well be better in some ways but for me I have yet to have an issue with the "lesser" brands. That is with many, many years of use out of them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:26 pm 
Field Grade

Misery556 wrote:
I used to have problems with my factory extensions too. I was able to solve the problem though by threading the nut over the extension after it had already been pressed against the base magazine. You'll notice if you strip it down that the nut will click a few times engaging the ball detent without the tube but once you put it on, it will click maybe once. Get the tube on and tighten the nut over it. Don't tighten the nut then the tube. I use a Nordic Components follower in both of my 870s and since I figured out the tube threading riddle and got that follower, it loads and feeds smooth as can be. The only reason I would replace it would be because I HATE the clamp with that jingly, noisy sling swivel. I think the +2 extensions look better without a clamp anyway. I don't use one on my Mossberg 930 or my Benelli Nova Tactical.

I replaced my clamp with an MCS Rail. I do admit though, 1 screw vs 2 allen bolts makes removal a bit of a pita by comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:42 am 
Tournament Grade

+1 to the Wilson Combat extension NYShooter mentioned. I've got one on my 870 and it is tough as nails.