ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: 12 gauge Wound Profiles (56k beware) Examples on page 3
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Anybody hear something?

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:44 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nope

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Topics that may be of interest to some:

For those that think that birdshot acts just like a slug, and that shotguns can kill through a vest.

Info on penetration after a standard construction interior wall.

Carbine>shotgun, but:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:34 pm 
Utility Grade

As far as handling a Magnum load, I've spent 12 years with an M240 attached to me. I can handle a Magnum 12 gauge load.

To put the great ammo debate to rest, over the years be it pistol, rifle or shotgun I've asked those who argue as to "what works; what doesn't" to rest by asking for volunteers to preform a test. No takers yet on that one.

Doubt I'll get any here as well.

8)

RR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:13 am 
Utility Grade

I'm saving up for my first gun.Going to be a 12 gauge pump.Maybe see if I can find an 18.5" or 20" used cheap at the pawn shop.I'm thinking of going for a Remington 870.I'd be happy with a Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88 as well.....they would all be great for home defense.

I don't exactly live in the "best" part of town....So I could really rest easy at night knowing I had mr 12 gauge next to me :)

I live in apts....But I don't plan on missing the person/persons that would be breaking in anyway...so I'll go with 2 & 3/4" 00 buck.With a strap on buttstock sidesaddle with 3 more 00 buck and 2 slugs.I was thinking maybe that Centurion buck & ball ammo too.

I read all 9 pages of this,and it was certainly good info.I feel sorry for anybody that relies on birdshot for home defence.I doubt that would stop a 300 pound biker on meth or whatever they do now days.... >__>

After the Remington 870, I'm going to probably get a cheap SKS,then a Mosin Nagant :D

I want a Wasr 10, but I'd rather just get a quality SKS over a cheap AK47.Blah...all wishful thinking. :) I'll probably only ever need the 12 gauge if that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:03 pm 
Utility Grade

Haven't been on here in awhile, but I want some imput from people who really know about 12 gauge shotguns...so I am asking all of you. I have previously written on here about this high profile case that I've been researching (I'm an amateur) for 4 years. The person is a 4'10" 21 year old female who police, media, family etc believe committed suicide. Her name is Melinda Duckett and her family is suing Nancy Grace for wrongful death...the court case is coming up November 1,2010. I on the otherhand believe she was murdered.

I have all 769 crime scene photos of her "suicide". As stated in my earlier posts, there was very little blood - none down the front of her torso, only pooled under her head. And...there were 2 shots. If I may, I would like to post that part of my website that talks about this and has pictures of the first shot and the 50 year old bolt action shotgun.http://duckettbucket.blogspot.com/2010/09/two-shots-two-shotguns.html

New information has come out since I last posted here. The magazine loaded with #6 birdshot was jammed in backwards. FDLE had to forcibly remove the clip. There were 2 shots - one into the wall and one into her head via the left jawbone -. What procedure would she have to use in order to insert a birdshot shell into the chamber and then fire the gun? Then what would it take to insert a second birdshot? And would the first shot cause her deafness being in the small closet? How much recoil would the gun have? The report stated that there was 5 lbs of pressure needed to pull the trigger. Could that have been accomplished with her left toe?

I will try to post a picture from my photobucket (with the injury covered)http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/Maytruthprevail/CopyofMelindasinjury.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I forgot to add that the autopsy report (also on my website) showed NO gsr on her hands or feet. There was gunshot residue at the entry wound and inside her mouth and in the airway. She did not place the gun in her mouth. The entry wound was under her left jaw.
The picture of the closet on the website shows packages on the floor. I painted over Melinda's left foot which was on top of one of the packages. Her right foot was under the other packages.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:44 pm 
Utility Grade

Someone just sent me very interesting info...

Captive bolt pistol
The bolt itself is a heavy rod made of non-rusting alloys, such as stainless steel. It is held in position inside the barrel of the stunner by means of rubber washers. The bolt is usually not visible in a stunner in good condition. The bolt is actuated by a trigger pull and is propelled forward by compressed air or by the discharge of a blank round ignited by a firing pin. After striking a shallow but forceful blow on the forehead of the animal, spring tension causes the bolt to recoil back into the barrel.

This gun is used to stun livestock so they can be killed. It can and has killed humans.
It's interesting because it could have been used to kill Melinda - not leave any "bullet" and then follow up with the shotgun into the same area.

I wonder how common these pistols are?

First time I ever heard about them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:12 pm 
Field Grade

Have you ever seen No Country for Old Men? A captive bolt pistol is used in that movie.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:09 am 
Utility Grade

itsstanley wrote:
Have you ever seen No Country for Old Men? A captive bolt pistol is used in that movie.

I saw it referenced when I googled captive bolt pistol, but didn't see the movie. I also looked up how much they were and they run approx $1,300. They look like a regular pistol. They come in .22 and .25 ( would that equate to a 22 caliper?) I was wondering what size hole it would make if shot under the jawbone (human).

But I still don't understand why there is no blood on Melinda's neck or front of her body when the entrance wound was a hole the size of a walnut.

Post subject: Re: re: 12 gauge Wound Profiles (56k beware)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:55 pm 
Utility Grade

amblackm wrote:
This is quite possibly the best post I've ever seen on any forum anywhere about ballistics. Thank you posting this!

Moderator, could you sticky this please.

Andrew

I would say it is all useless unless I know the distance. I do not have a 25 yard living/dining room. At most, I would be firing from 25 feet. Most confrontations occur between four feet and four yards.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:02 am 
Utility Grade

montana bound wrote:
Sgt. T wrote:
The proof is in the pudding, or jello as it were.

Im switching the birdshot for frangible slugs and the 00 buck for #4 buck.

Very informative.

switch the bird for #4 buck and the frangibles for Brenneke R10s, better penetration

A target load will tear off most of a person's face within a house. In one forum, a guy was pointing and giggling at suggestions being made. When she hit the intruder he was lucky she was a doctor or he would have died on the spot.

7.5 birdshot will pass through six sheets of drywall. Brennecke rounds will pass though your wall, the outside wall, and your neighbor's wall. It can kill a buck at 200 yards and make their ears bleed from the hydrostatic shock.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

JohnLloydScharf wrote:
A target load will tear off most of a person's face within a house. In one forum, a guy was pointing and giggling at suggestions being made. When she hit the intruder he was lucky she was a doctor or he would have died on the spot.

7.5 birdshot will pass through six sheets of drywall. Brennecke rounds will pass though your wall, the outside wall, and your neighbor's wall. It can kill a buck at 200 yards and make their ears bleed from the hydrostatic shock.

Read more post less.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:24 pm 
Field Grade

FMD wrote:
Read more post less.

More content less bile.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There's 6 pages of good content containing links to enough reading material to last several days.

No bile involved when the new folks show up and offer an expert opinion that clashes with everything we know is true about wound ballistics having failed to read that content.

While we're welcoming here, that doesn't mean random strangers are allowed to drop by, take their shoes off, put their feet up on the couch, and grab the remote out of our hand to change the channel.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

inbox485 wrote:
FMD wrote:
Read more post less.

More content less bile.

Haven't you said you were done here? Twice?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Roadracer wrote:
To put the great ammo debate to rest, over the years be it pistol, rifle or shotgun I've asked those who argue as to "what works; what doesn't" to rest by asking for volunteers to preform a test. No takers yet on that one.

8)

RR

So, if you refuse to allow me to stab you with a pencil or fire a .22LR into you, would those then put the great ammo debate to rest too? Would that make both of them adequate?
The problem is not what someone will allow to be done to them or not allow to be done to them.
The problem is when you are trying to stop someone from doing something RFN. That person may not be logical. They may not be in the mood to comply with your reasonable demands. That person may not even be in a lucid state of mind. They may be hallucinatory or disoriented. They may just be really, really pissed at you even if they may not actually know you. If you have to stop an attack in a means that does not require the voluntary compliance of the aggressor by using deadly force there are two ways to do so: rapid exangunation and a CNS shut-down.
Aligning a good choice of defensive tool with what a logical, sane, well-adjusted person won't allow someone else to do to them is little off, to say the least.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:32 pm 
Field Grade

m24shooter wrote:
inbox485 wrote:
FMD wrote:
Read more post less.

More content less bile.

Haven't you said you were done here? Twice?

Again with out of context paraphrase quoting. You should really consider a career in politics.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:59 pm 
Field Grade

m24shooter wrote:
Roadracer wrote:

8)

RR

So, if you refuse to allow me to stab you with a pencil or fire a .22LR into you, would those then put the great ammo debate to rest too? Would that make both of them adequate?
The problem is not what someone will allow to be done to them or not allow to be done to them.
The problem is when you are trying to stop someone from doing something RFN. That person may not be logical. They may not be in the mood to comply with your reasonable demands. That person may not even be in a lucid state of mind. They may be hallucinatory or disoriented. They may just be really, really pissed at you even if they may not actually know you. If you have to stop an attack in a means that does not require the voluntary compliance of the aggressor by using deadly force there are two ways to do so: rapid exangunation and a CNS shut-down.
Aligning a good choice of defensive tool with what a logical, sane, well-adjusted person won't allow someone else to do to them is little off, to say the least.

FWIW, I'm with you on this 100%. The "what works test" isn't what a non-violent rational person feels like subjecting themselves to for giggles. It is what has been the result of real whack jobs getting hit while trying to kill somebody. I'd consider either ignoring the injury and proceeding to kill the victim, or running off into the night to be failures to incapacitate irregardless of whether or not the assailant eventually died.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

inbox485 wrote:
Again with out of context paraphrase quoting. You should really consider a career in politics.

The context was included (M24 quoted both my post and your response exactly) and clear. You might want to consider a remedial class in comprehention before he Shooter runs for office.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next