CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question for rifle-sighted smoothbore shooters
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm about to click the order button on an 18.5" Remington parkerized fixed IC rifle sight barrel for my 870P. I'm looking for feedback from others who use a similar setup on how you like the sights. Having read some great, some mixed reviews, I'm wondering about fiber optic upgrades. Apparently the sight picture isn't the greatest, front sight looks too small? It's entirely possible that I'll have no problem with it - and I won't be upgrading anything till I really give the OEM rifle sights a shot, but I'm just curious what other shooters' experience has been with this setup.

Almost forgot - I use the shotgun for HD, steel plate competitions, and just range shooting.

Thanks,
Steve

Post subject: Re: Question for rifle-sighted smoothbore shooters
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

I had that barrel very briefly for my 870 and I hated the sights. As you mentioned, the front sight is way too small and it takes too long to line up a shot. The bead isn't as precise but it's a lot faster. I have LPA and XS ghost rings on my shotguns and those are both head and shoulders above the rifle sights. Much faster to acquire the target and bigger front sight. My feeling on the rifle sight setup is that they look like they were taken off a .22 plinker platform and put on a 12 gauge with no adjustments.

Maybe you could consider adding a full length rail system and some AR sights? Haha. Have you considered a mini red dot like a Burris fast fire?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

I laughed out loud at the full-length rail line haha - Not on my gun, thanks! I've only heard great things about ghost ring sights, but they're just so damn expensive. $130-150 for the sights, and my gunsmith quoted me $120 to install them - not a job I'd be willing to try myself.

It's a possibility. Thanks for negative feedback on those rifle sights. Something to think about.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:25 pm 
Field Grade

I have the white dot with the white triangle back sights. Or as they are probably known as "rifle sights". Frankly I like them. Like you I was thinking about upgrading them. So I ordered the meprolight night sights. Unfortunately the front sight is way to small IMHO so they are not getting installed just yet. The other problem I was made aware of is in a darkened environment they will wash out because you lose your night vision after the first shot making them that much harder to see. On the other hand the white rifle sights light up terrifically when my elzetta is on. And they work wonderfully during the daytime also. Ghost rings and such don't do dodo for these old eyes. Its either the configuration I have now or switch to a big bead which I don't care for at this point. Mine by the way is the 20 inch with Ic and will get plenty of range time with slugs at distance this summer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have several and there is no question that they are fractions of a second slower. An EOTech is fastest, with a red dot very close behind. Next is a bead and then trailing them all is a ghost ring and finally the rifle sights.

On the other hand, we are talking fractions of a second.

The one advantage to rifle sights is that it is easy to find good aftermarket replacements, that are easily installed without modification to the shotgun. I particularly like the tritium rifle sights because they not only give you better low light capability but they also give you a larger and MUCH cleaner sight picture in bright light. Personally, if that is what you want, I would get the barrel and shop around for some aftermarket sights to improve the sight picture.

One thing about ghost rings that you should know before you spend the money. Some people like them and some people hate them. I personally do not like them at all, and I find with my advanced age and slight astigmatism that the point of impact will change a bit from day to day. (I also tend to see three to four tiny dots in a red dot scope and two clear reticles in an EOTech with my dominant eye.)

And, yes, night sights will tend to wash out after the first shot in very dark conditions but that is made up for by the fact that a clean and square sight picture will be silhouetted by the muzzle flash better. Plus the fact that to me the night sight capability is secondary to the much better sight picture itself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:49 pm 
Field Grade

When I look at the night sights I have the sights don't present nearly as good a sight picture as the white ones.it could just be the brand or other circumstances that I'm not aware of. But they appear washed out in daylight and the white ones show up much better .

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:12 pm 
Field Grade

The fact is I was just going to start a thread about this very subject ! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:38 pm 
Utility Grade

I have an 18.5" barrel with tritium night sights on my 870 and love them. I agree with the other posters that they are slower than a bead, but I like the precision when my HD shotgun goes deer hunting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

I would echo what others have said. Once they are dialed in they are accurate. They are slower to line up for the shot. We kriol rear sight adjustment screws. We have changed ammo in past and had issues with frozen screws. Once a year year dose of kroil has fixed this issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Wow, thanks for all the replies.
I'll respond to a few of the ideas brought up. I do have a light (Streamlight TLR-1) on the gun, so I'm not overly concerned with how the sights perform in low-light/darkness. A nice clear sight picture during the daytime would be the priority. The sights CdnTrainer posted look pretty good, though.

The fact that the ghost ring installation is expensive and pretty much permanent is definitely a turn-off. I think I'll go ahead with the rifle sight barrel, and I may/may not upgrade after that. I'll let you know how it goes - Thanks a lot for the feedback.
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

This is the sight picture on the rifle sights. Garbage if I may say so.

This is the sight picture on my 870 with the XS sights.

For some comparison, the LPA ghost rings on my 930.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

LPA Ghost Rings almost look like AR sights....just sayin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:46 pm 
Field Grade

Pictures don't really show much. If your good with a camera you can make your case either way. :shock: I personally think everybody looks down the barrel and sees things their own way. To many factors come into play to be a one size fits all type thing.
I do believe Mr Brody you are doing the prudent thing and taking it one step at a time and seeing with your own eyes what works best for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:18 am 
Presentation Grade

nodakjohns wrote:
Pictures don't really show much. If your good with a camera you can make your case either way. :shock: I personally think everybody looks down the barrel and sees things their own way. To many factors come into play to be a one size fits all type thing.
I do believe Mr Brody you are doing the prudent thing and taking it one step at a time and seeing with your own eyes what works best for you.

Well, considering that I had to take two pictures of the XS ghost rings to show a complete sight picture, I am obviously NOT good with a camera. Haha. I just thought it was worth sharing in case he sees that picture, hates the sights as much as I did and has to spend more money sending the barrel back. If you like them, great. I prefer ghost rings though. Different strokes for different folks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

You can line up the standard Rem rifle sights for some decent precision. I have them on my 11-87 Police and can get a little tighter slug group than with the vent rib and FO bead on my other 11-87 Premiere. On the other hand, I find I can get on target faster with the VR and bead which for a close range SD SG, trumps the slight gain in precision using the standard rifle sights.

I'm thinking of putting the XS big dot replacement sights on the 11-87 Police.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:18 pm 
Limited Edition

IMO on a slug gun there is nothing better than a rifle sight. Otherwise, I prefer a bead and I think that the XS Big Dot works well. However, I find the Big Dot almost useless at the range, where it tends to obscure the target at distance.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think the Remington rifle sights will serve you just fine. Best of luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

GoBow wrote:
I think the Remington rifle sights will serve you just fine. Best of luck!

Thanks! Just placed the order with MidwayUSA. Can't wait to get to the range with the new barrel. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:00 am 
Tournament Grade

The doe I shot last season sure hated my Wingmaster with rifle sights. Most RS barrels are 20" so I don't know how an 18.5" stacks up. We have about 5 RS 870 barrels in my family and they are all a little different. Newer models do seem to have smaller front beads but a truglo replacement set is $20 if you don't like them. Ours were originally all brass posts but some have orange tips painted in the front for better sight picture.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:53 pm 
Field Grade

One size definitely does not fit all when it comes to shotgun sights, especially rifle sighted shotguns.

The XS 24/7 Express sight set - I prefer the big dot version - has been a marked improvement for me over the factory RS sights. For me, the small bead and narrow rear notch from the factory were not "aging eye friendly", and any theoretical loss of accuracy due to the size of the big dot has been offset by the ease and speed with which I could get a decent sight picture. Because the sights themselves are so much higher, I still have to adopt a more heads-up shooting technique with the RS barrel than I like, but that's the nature of the beast.

Some people who have tried my combo don't like it, the shallow "v" rear and big dot front sort of throwing them for a loop. (They do admit to it being quite useable in low light.) Vive la difference.

Thinking it might be the best of all worlds, I bought one of the fixed IC 18.5" barrels with the XS low-profile sights (the rear sight being essentially a pistol-style, v-notch rear mounted in front of the receiver), and I rather like it; the fly in the ointment is that I can't get a big dot replacement blade low enough to replace the standard-sized front sight blade.

deaFRN