CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can I install a Side Saddle on my Mav. 88?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hello everyone. I was just curious if I was able to install a Side Saddle on my Maverick 88. I was just wondering because I know they are a little different than the Mossbergs.

Also what Side Saddle would you recommend?

Lastly, what exactly is involved in installing a Side Saddle? Drilling?

Thanks,

Brandon

Post subject: Re: Can I install a Side Saddle on my Mav. 88?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:05 pm 
Field Grade

I would use that velcro one that was posted earlier this week. It's not breakable plastic, it's removable in seconds and its $5. For that price, you could even get a few of them and keep a couple loaded for quick changes.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=176122

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:18 pm 
Limited Edition

as far as i know the only major difference is the saftey and trigger, so it should be fine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:20 pm 
Field Grade

johnnyeastside wrote:
I would use that velcro one that was posted earlier this week. It's not breakable plastic, it's removable in seconds and its $5. For that price, you could even get a few of them and keep a couple loaded for quick changes.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=176122

If you remove that from the reciever, would it wreck any of the finish?

edit: nevermind answered my own question by reading the original post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:29 pm 
Limited Edition

To answer your question, there is no technical difference between the Mav88 and the Moss500 regarding side saddles.

The TacStar and Mesa Tactical units will fit either one just fine.

If you want to go back to a "non-side-saddle" configuraiton, you need to save your receiver pin.

I have a side saddle on all but 2 of my pumps, cause they are just so handy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:32 pm 
Field Grade

100W_Warlock wrote:
To answer your question, there is no technical difference between the Mav88 and the Moss500 regarding side saddles.

The TacStar and Mesa Tactical units will fit either one just fine.

If you want to go back to a "non-side-saddle" configuraiton, you need to save your receiver pin.

I have a side saddle on all but 2 of my pumps, cause they are just so handy.

Is having a mounted side saddle that much better though than just using a $5 velcro shell holder that can be attached pretty much anywhere?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bigman321 wrote:
Is having a mounted side saddle that much better though than just using a $5 velcro shell holder that can be attached pretty much anywhere?

In regards to the $5 Velcro shell holder, you may just get what you pay for. When you think of the time and material involved in making something like that, there is probably a good chance it wasn't made in the USA. If you are thinking about something for home defense, you might want to think about something of quality. I'm not saying that it's not a quality item, but the economics of the thing doesn't add up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:36 pm 
Field Grade

[/quote]In regards to the $5 Velcro shell holder, you may just get what you pay for. When you think of the time and material involved in making something like that, there is probably a good chance it wasn't made in the USA. If you are thinking about something for home defense, you might want to think about something of quality. I'm not saying that it's not a quality item, but the economics of the thing doesn't add up.[/quote]

Good point, but here, http://www.skdtac.com/product_p/ess.106.htm , even for $15 (made in USA) you can still buy 2 for the price of one of the plastic ones. How 'bout that?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:16 pm 
Limited Edition

The Esstac shotshell cards are good pieces of gear when used in the appropriate situation- when you are wearing load bearing equipment and have extra m4 pouches to slide the cards into to carry. In an HD situation a sidesaddle is the best bet to guarantee that you won't forget/ have room to hold/carry the extra ammo on your person.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

johnnyeastside wrote:
In regards to the $5 Velcro shell holder, you may just get what you pay for. When you think of the time and material involved in making something like that, there is probably a good chance it wasn't made in the USA. If you are thinking about something for home defense, you might want to think about something of quality. I'm not saying that it's not a quality item, but the economics of the thing doesn't add up.[/quote]

Good point, but here, http://www.skdtac.com/product_p/ess.106.htm , even for $15 (made in USA) you can still buy 2 for the price of one of the plastic ones. How 'bout that?[/quote]

For holding shells long term I just don;t know how the elastic holds up. I've had bandoleers that crapped out on my after a while so I'm not sold on the elastic. However, lots of guys use them at the 3 gun matches and I know you can pay more than $15 for a good quality one. I've used the Tacstar type as well and they have held up for years. The quick change out and multi shell capability can't be overlooked so there are pro's and con's on both.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:33 pm 
Crown Grade

I think the Esstac is what I'm going to use on my P350. I like the idea of being able to swap out an empty side saddle for a full one, plus being able to carry shells in a mag pouch seems like a handy way to store shotgun shells in a ready to go form.

Of course, my JC higgins will be getting a leather sidesaddle like I was talking about as soon as I can find a belt slide shell holder that fits right.