It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Shotgun owner here with a question about ammo...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:22 am 
Utility Grade

Bought a 870 HD and was wondering if there is particular ammo I should avoid using besides the obvious magnum shells I know are not suited for this shotgun. Given the nature of the 18" barrel is there any type of rounds that would be best recommended for home defense? Whats a good plinking cans on the farm type of ammo as well?

Post subject: Re: New Shotgun owner here with a question about ammo...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

mathiasX wrote:
Bought a 870 HD and was wondering if there is particular ammo I should avoid using besides the obvious magnum shells I know are not suited for this shotgun.
Only the 3-1/2" shells are unsuitable.
Quote:
is there any type of rounds that would be best recommended for home defense?
Federal Tactical 00
Quote:
Whats a good plinking cans on the farm type of ammo as well?
Cheapest whatever you can find.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:40 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The information posted by sjohnny is spot-on.

Use cheap birdshot for practice, as what you really need to practice is "manipulation", not accuracy. And cheap birdshot will allow you to practice enough to get very familiar with your shotgun.

But load 00 Buckshot for social purposes. :wink:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:27 am 
Utility Grade

Whats the difference between the birdshot you can get and the stuff they say is for skeet shooting (target)? I have noticed the skeet shooting shells are pretty cheap. I got a couple of boxes at BiMart for $5.50 each. The bird shot was about a dollar a box more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Check the dram equivalent or velocity. That may explain the price difference. The shot used is the same size. Bird shot is generic for #9-T sized shot. Buck shot is #1buck - 000.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Buckshot goes down to #4 (not to be confused with #4 birdshot). Game loads usually have a little heavier payload than the cheap target loads and usually better quality components. The more expensive target loads usually have better quality components than either of those. For plinking or practicing just get the cheapest stuff you can find. There are thousands of different shotgun loads for hundreds of different purposes. If all you're going to be doing is using you shotgun for practice/training and defense then all you need to buy are the cheapest loads you can find and some good quality buckshot. If you're going to be hunting the proper load will depend on what and how you are hunting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sjohnny thankyou you are correct #4buck is the smallest buckshot.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

I build tactical shotguns for a living and I make a specific recomendation to my clients......buy whatever is on sale. Any of the leading ammo makers produce a good product and it will do what you want it to do. These are not rifles, shotguns don't produce the pressure rifles do and with smooth bore barrels you are not dealing with the issues rifles have. I buy cases of "Wolf" 2 3/4" 00 to test fire my weapons and it works fine. Don't let the Marketing of the ammo guys take your money. A buyer contacted me about building him a custom shotgun. He asked me how many feet per second would he lose on a slug from an 18.5" barrel as oposed to a 20" barrel. I informed him I had no idea but I would guess none, it's a shotgun. He stated words to the effect that it concerned him that I did not know the answer as I was a professional and he had read nothing but great things about my weapons. I then advised him I was not interested in building him a weapon, thanks and good by......see he was caught up in all this ballistic mess that does not matter in a close quarters smooth bore combat weapon.......don't get caught up in that. Use your money to buy more ammo and learn to use that weapon. A guy is rushing you in your house and all you have is a low brass #6 shot in your weapon and you bust him in the chest at ten feet, well
he is as dead as if you hit him with $2 a round stuff that someone convinced you was what you needed.

Refinishing, Rebuilding, Upgrades, Accessories
http://aiptactical.com / 231-690-0954 / aippi@netscape.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

aippi wrote:
I build tactical shotguns for a living and I make a specific recomendation to my clients......buy whatever is on sale.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion. But professional trainers and Doctors that have done autopsies, that know a lot more about ballistics and have studied hundreds and even thousands of shootings, disagree with you.

You do a dis-service to uneducated folks that are looking for good information about external ballistics, when you post information that has been proven wrong, time and time again. These issues are not really in doubt or even the subject of serious debate. They have been settled long ago.

Being good at building weapons and being knowledgable about external ballistics are two very different abilities.

No personal offense intended.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:33 pm 
Crown Grade

Aippi- I'll have to disagree. #6 shot has been shown time and time again, in both ballistic testing and real world shootings to not be sufficient to stop a threat quickly. They might bleed out slowly, but by that time, they may have also killed you. A number of ballistics tests have shown that #1 buckshot is the ideal size, however, it's also a fairly uncommon size, which is why people recommend 00. As for which loading of 00 is best, the answer is which ever patterns tightest out of your gun. Different loads behave differently in different guns. The load that works best may be an expensive round, or it might be a really cheap round, but unfortunately, it is likely to be near the upper end of the price range. That extra money gets you fancy wads like Federal flight control, that reduce spread, and other things like plated and buffered shot, which serve to reduce pellet deformation, which causes the pellets to fly in different directions when they leave the gun.

Now, for basic function checks, or blasting tin cans, or practice purposes, I agree- whatever is cheapest. No sense wasting good ammo, when the cheap stuff will do the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Sjohnny WTF LOL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:39 pm 
Crown Grade

liljake82 wrote:
Sjohnny WTF LOL

it's a rabbit with a waffle on it's head... I kinda thought that was obvious...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:18 am 
Field Grade

Old_Painless wrote:
aippi wrote:
I build tactical shotguns for a living and I make a specific recomendation to my clients......buy whatever is on sale.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion. But professional trainers and Doctors that have done autopsies, that know a lot more about ballistics and have studied hundreds and even thousands of shootings, disagree with you.

You do a dis-service to uneducated folks that are looking for good information about external ballistics, when you post information that has been proven wrong, time and time again. These issues are not really in doubt or even the subject of serious debate. They have been settled long ago.

Being good at building weapons and being knowledgable about external ballistics are two very different abilities.

No personal offense intended.

i got the impresion that he was saying any 00 buck will do not any shot size....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:16 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

cemoulton wrote:
i got the impresion that he was saying any 00 buck will do not any shot size....

I did too until the last sentence:
Quote:
A guy is rushing you in your house and all you have is a low brass #6 shot in your weapon and you bust him in the chest at ten feet, well
he is as dead as if you hit him with $2 a round stuff that someone convinced you was what you needed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

sjohnny wrote:
cemoulton wrote:

I did too until the last sentence:
Quote:
A guy is rushing you in your house and all you have is a low brass #6 shot in your weapon and you bust him in the chest at ten feet, well

Yep, that was what I was referring to.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:30 am 
Crown Grade

That's how I read it too, which is why I specified #6 at the beginning of my response.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:42 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

TempestV wrote:
That's how I read it too, which is why I specified #6 at the beginning of my response.

Can't find fault with your response Tempest. I just thought my original response was more appropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Anybody have a sea bass recipe?

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:12 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

m24shooter wrote:
Anybody have a sea bass recipe?

Are they.... ill tempered?