CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HD related: .380, .45, or 9mm for CCW?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hey Guys,
I wanted to ask for experienced advice about getting a small handgun for CCW.
I've fired a .380, a vintage 1911 .45, Sig .40 and mini-Glock .40. The .40's jumped to much fo me. I really liked the feel of the .380 and the .45. I've seen comments that say .380 is only marginally effective for CCW distance and a 1911 is too big for CCW. I saw where others recommended a short-barreled 9mm. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: HD related: .380, .45, or 9mm for CCW?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

I don't know of a good .45 that is small enough for effective CC. I carry a Glock 19 when it is a little cooler, and a Ruger LCP in warmer months.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:18 pm 
Field Grade

Check out the Kahr PM9 I love mine and it goes everywhere with me.

Check out this Video Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHqkQ3CP1HM
(not me btw)

EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW
ABOUT GUN CONTROL IN 99 WORDS!
http://www.freedom-force.org/freedomcon ... age=issues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I carry a G19. It is perfectly suited for me. I'm not at all worried about the effectiveness of the 9, and it is in a small enough package that it is not bothersome. It is a dream to shoot.
Prior to this I carried a G30. It is a .45 in just about the same size pistol as the 19. By far it was the most accurate Glock I ever shot, and that includes the full sized 9, .40, and .45.
I wouldn't go .380 unless I had to.

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:23 am 
Field Grade

Kel Tek PF-9!!!
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/pf9.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:25 am 
Limited Edition

Wait a minute. You'd buy a .45 for HD, but not a .40 because the .40 jumps too much for you? As in, they recoil to much or are erratic when they do? IF so, that doesn't make any sense. A .40 has just slightly less recoil than a .45. I went to an outdoor range with a co-worker and his friend. My co-worker has a Springfield XD in. 40, and his buddy has a 1911 Colt in .45. I shot both of them. .45 had just a little more kick to it. I like .40's and .45's. Both are good guns for HD. I recently put an EAA .40 on layaway at a local pawn shop that i bought my HD shotgun from, also. Good looking gun, and nice feel to it. Similar to a Glock. It has a built in tac rail under the slide, in front of the trigger guard to mount a small tac light or laser. Weaver/picatinny style. Either way. I can't wait to get it outta layaway and shoot it. I've heard good things about EAA's.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Recoil is a subjective thing, but most people do agree that .40 S&W has a more uncomfortable kick than .45 ACP. Me included, though both of my carry guns are .40. .40 may be a compromise round, but it's a good compromise. Capacity closer to 9mm than .45, and power closer to .45 than 9mm. Personally, I find small .380s the most objectionable. They slap the hell out of my hand. Even a .380 PPK hurts my hand worse than my MK40, which is the same size and only 1-2 oz. heavier.

Anyway, the main reason why .380 is considered ineffectve, is because the number of loads that will consistently expand and penetrate more than 12" are very limited. Hornady whatever plastic filled ones turned out to be a 10" disappointment. Standard Hornady XTPs will do about 11", but aren't that consistent through heavy clothing (a common failing of the XTP line, since their hollowpoint cavities tend to be pinprick sized; they're more of a hunting bullet, really). Standard Federal Hydra-Shoks will do 12"+, but only in barrels shorter than 3", and they fail to expand entirely through heavy clothing, penetrating like FMJs (a common failing of the classic Hydra-Shok design, which is ironic since that's what the post is supposed to prevent). If I had a .380, it would be relegated to a backup only, and would be loaded with a flatnose FMJ, or possibly a hardcast lead flatnose bullet.

As for the reasons not to carry a 1911, the main reason is that current production 1911s are very finicky and high-maintenance. If you can get a solid condition pre-WWII one, it should be up there with the most durable and reliable guns out there (with 230 grain FMJ), but then it'd also be a collector's item. But if you drop $1,000 on a new Kimber instead, you can expect a gun that will jam every once in awhile, and break parts every 1-2,000 rounds. MIM parts have very limited lifespans, and even Colt uses them now. Those things cause ridiculous, inexcusable failures, like the thumb safety snapping off. And if you want a small gun, the 3" and 4" barreled 1911s are even worse.

I'd recommend a small 9mm, Kahrs and Kel-Tecs are both good. My experience is, the extra $ for the Kahr translates to much lower felt recoil (even though the weights are similar), and much better accuracy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:09 am 
Field Grade

Me personally, Taurus Millenium Pro 45ACP. It's a little thick, but very concealable. Reliable and packs quite a punch!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:39 am 
Crown Grade

9mm FTW. :D

It's cheaper to train with and there are some great defensive loads in this caliber.

Personal favorite is the Glock 19.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Third vote for a G19 as a CCW gun (suprise there, right?).

.40 S&W is "snappy' when it comes to recoil - and I don't like them for a primary for that reason. 9mm .40 and .45 will all do the job if you do.

With a good holster, you can, in fact, conceal a 1911. Finding a reliable 1911 is harder.

My BUG/"gun for when you can't carry a gun" is a diminutive P3AT with HydraShoks. It's been fluffed and buffed for reliablity, the original HS are a truncated cone design making FTFs less of a possibility, and whether they expand or not, the should reliably reach 12". It's a pain to shoot (literally), but better to have than a .22 and of similar size, and worlds better than no gun at all.

I've also been testing a pocket carried 2" .38 Special. It's not near as easy to do as with the P3AT, the DA trigger is worse (if you can believe it), but with +P ammo fills in the gap between the P3AT and the G19.

Whatever you choose, get some training.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

First you need to know "What works?"

Find that out here: http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

You will notice that .380 is not even listed. But 9mm works just fine.

If you are recoil sensitive, I would suggest a 9mm in a high quality pistol.

And spend some money and get some professional training.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:33 am 
Crown Grade

I've carried a Colt GoldCup .45ACP in a Galco holster for years.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:36 am 
Field Grade

Glock G26 9mm + Hornady Critical Defense or Federal Hydra Shok JHP Premium Personal Defense

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I carried a Colt Officer's for a little while. It was just as easy to conceal as my Glock 23 (a little thinner but a little heavier). It's very reliable as long as I'm not using the factory Colt magazines. I find the recoil from the .40 to be a little bit sharper than the recoil from the .45.

I will echo the voices of those who have said no .380 unless you don't have a choice. I carry a J-frame .38 Special just about everywhere I go in my front pants pocket. It actually kicks pretty hard with +Ps but, at only 15 ounces, it's easy to carry. After shooting this one I gained a whole new respect for the guys who shoot .357 Magnums out of the 11 ounce J-frames (I'll pass on that one).

The best thing to do is to shoot as many OPGs as you can to find out what is the most comfortable and easy to shoot for you. In a semi-auto 9, 40 or 45 would be the calibers I would consider.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:19 am 
Diamond Grade

Since there are so many Glockaholics here already, I'll balance the scales a little and say that mine is a full size S&W M&P in 9mm.

Like Glocks, M&Ps come in a range of sizes and calibers. You have your choice of 9mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W or .45, all in either full size or compact and with or without a thumb safety.

Mine has no thumb or mag safety, and no internal lock. I chose the M&P over others because of the way it fits my hand. For me it points as fast and naturally as pointing my index finger.

I like the 9 as I can shoot it more accurately faster than I can the other calibers. Also, the capacity of the 9 full size is 17+1, except in the commie states, of course. Like others have said, .380 wasn't even in the running for me.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 5711&top=Y

Last edited by Austin12Gauge on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:35 am 
Tournament Grade

Last edited by yesno on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:11 am 
Utility Grade

There is good performing 9mm ammo out there now so don't be afraid of the 9mm. When it comes down to reliability it's hard to beat a glock. I use them in competitions because I know they'll work. The G19 suggested is an excellent choice. If you want smaller to conceal you can go with the G26, or the G27 if you change your mind and go with .40. These are the subcompact pistols and you sacrifice grip length. The G19 is medium framed 9mm. I carry either a G27 (.40) or the G30(.45). The G30 is about the size of the G19 but slightly thicker, but it holds 10 rds of .45 ACP. Either way I'd recommend 9mm and up. .380 is good for backup or if you won't carry the bigger ones then it's better to have a small .380 than not carrying anything at all. Some people find that if their gun is too bulky then they don't carry it as often. Any gun is better than no gun even if it's a .22

Matt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:00 pm 
Utility Grade

.380 seems to be more difficult to find right now. That might factor into your decision.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:02 pm 
Field Grade

didn't read all the replies but i can tell you in my experience, i've had a bersa thunder .380 CC, a 1911, and 2 Springfields (an xd9sc and an xd45c)... hands down, the Springfield XD45 Compact is the most versatile and best shooter. there is simply nothing like the .45 load. i like it better than 9mm (and i'm more accurate with it on followup shots because the recoil is much more predictable and less "snappy") and the 45 compact Springfield is the perfect size. it's a 4 inch barrel with a compact grip that holds 10 + 1 i strongly suggest looking into it. if not that i would get a Springfield 9 or 40 subcomp (sorry to the glock guys but the grip angle on the glock makes me shoot funny, the Springfield feels more natural.)

-Springfield XD9SC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:20 pm 
My favorite carry gun is a Glock 36 (.45 single stack mag). I can wear it easily winter or summer, it's a .45, very easy to conceal, light, and it shoots well for me. Recoil is noticeably less on the 36 than any other Glock .45. It is lots smaller than a 21!

All my Glocks have night sights. I prefer the 19/23 size frame next to the 36. If I carry the 19 on out-of-town trips I usually carry some 30 round mags for it. I don't find recoil a problem on any handgun, but understand that for years I shot lightweight .357 revolvers so maybe my hands are numb. :?

Around the house/property I like the Glock 20 (10mm) with some original 10mm loads (180gr @ 1200 fps) - good for anything. I have 1911's, Springfields, and of course, lots of Glocks. Choice is really what fits you best. They are all excellent. I am not a .380 fan, though I have owned a couple years ago. .38 Special snubbies have great ammo nowadays and would be IMHO a better choice.

Good luck