CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ARMSCOR Shotguns
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am 
Utility Grade

Hi I'm a newbie here, I would like to know if anyone has any reviews or experience in handling an ARMSCOR Shotgun. I was able to hold one in their pump configuration and it seems well built. I am a beginner in the shotgun art, hope you can share your expertise. Thanks. :wink:

Post subject: Re: ARMSCOR Shotguns
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Welcome to the Basement, naro!

I thought that there might be some discussion if there were some pictures. The USA office of Arms Corporation of the Phiippines is Armscor Precision, Inc., 150 N. Smart Way Pahrump, NV 89060, 1-775-537-1444, armscor@armscor.net

Armscor shotguns 3" chamber; Pump action; Interchangeable choke (improved cylinder, modified or full choke) for D/IC model; Bead front sight; Serration on receiver; 6.0-9.0 lbs. trigger pull; 13.5"-13.75" LOP; Parkerized finish; Contoured barrel; Damascened bolt; Cross-bolt safety; Polymer buttstock & forearm (pistol grip for BG & FS models) except wooden stocks for DI/C model. I think that the capacities as given for 3" shells are probably the same when loaded with 2.75" shells.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:46 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you wfb 18 in welcoming me to the Basement and for sharing your pics of Armscor shotguns. I hope someone would share their opinion about this shotgun. BTW, have you handled or owned one of these guns? I am considering this gun for home defense and competition. Thanks again. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
No, naro, I had not seen nor heard of Armscor before your post. The $$$ price was just a currency conversion that I did. They may sell for less in the USA, so one should call their Nevada office if he wants to buy or sell their shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:08 pm 
Utility Grade

I first saw these listed on Centerfire Systems website, listed as the Rock Island M5.
The thing I noticed is it appears to be a High Standard model 200 clone. I've been looking for one local
so I can look at the quality and maybe pick one up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

If price tags show to be the right ones, I just can't see why one would bother with theses when you can get a M88 brand new for 180$. Just my opinion though.

:wink:

(only reason to buy one of theses for me is the Franchi style folding stock wich seems sturdier than the ATI thing).

Regards,
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:18 pm 
Field Grade

I tough armscor was a south African company that saw day when the apartheid and arms embargo was in effect.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Concept2w wrote:
I thought Armscor was a South African company that saw day when the apartheid and arms embargo was in effect.

"The Armaments Development and Production Corporation (Armscor) of South Africa has its United States office in Maryland, although known by the slightly altered name of Armscorp. The "p" at the end of the name was added, within the USA at least, when it was determined that Armscor of the Philippines predated them, both in the USA and worldwide. It is important to note that for the past decades of concurrence, the firearm merchandise of the Philippine and South African entities have hardly overlapped in terms of caliber and type. The Philippine entity has remained focused on manufacturing sport or personal-defense arms and ammunition, and such are generally quite distinguishable from the refurbished military surplus that have been the bulk of the South African entity's business." (Wikipedia)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:11 am 
Utility Grade

Actually, I'm considering this one as against a Norinco 870. Both are all steel and almost the same price. Hope someone would chime in for their opinions on these guns. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:01 am 
Limited Edition

FYI: New Maverick 88s are over $225 most places... The days of $180 model 88s are GONE!!! Unless you find a dealer who has not marked up existing inventory.

Armscor makes a decent 1911. RIA 1911s are not bad at all. (I don't care for the stock springs or mags, but, that's just my taste)

[disclosure: I used to work on RIA 1911s that a dealer buddy of mine sold. On the side for folks who didn't have alot of $$$ and with just $20 in springs, they ran 100% reliable after initial break in. New 18# recoil spring and a "match" trigger spring is all it took to make those things sing]

Its my understanding that these are basically clones of Mossbergs. (where as the norinco are clones of Remington 870s or the Winchester 97)

Correct?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:05 am 
Limited Edition

naro wrote:
Actually, I'm considering this one as against a Norinco 870. Both are all steel and almost the same price. Hope someone would chime in for their opinions on these guns. Thanks.

I seem to recall that the Norinco 870s were METRIC, but, I don't have this on authority from a gunsmith.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:32 am 
Tournament Grade

You're right, seems cheap Mav' are over.

But still, why would you go this way when you could get a 590 for the same price as the Armscor version ?

I'm not saying theses aren't any good. But you can find a combat proven, american made shotgun with plenty of accessories for the same price. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:01 am 
Utility Grade

I read a review of the ARMSCOR shotgun in GUN-TEST.com, it was priced at $120 only. It was pitted against FN's Police shotgun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:34 pm 
Utility Grade

I've read that H & R's pardner pump is a better built gun for the money! 200.00 here out the door at Academy......

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:29 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks sinister for the info. But is it true that the Pardner Pump shotguns are made by Norinco?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

MAX100 shows that the Norinco 982 Pump & the H&R NEF Pardner Pump are basically the same gun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi Naro,

I'm not really an expert on armscor shotguns but my father owned a mossberg 500, remington model 11 and an armscor shotguns. He gave me the remington and to my brother the mossberg saying that he prefers the armscor. I guess it more durable and reliable. Also, based on my friends at the gun club. Most of them would prefer using armscor rather than other brands because of its durability , and it is cheaper.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Welcome to the Basement, archjames99!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:58 am 
naro wrote:
I read a review of the ARMSCOR shotgun in GUN-TEST.com, it was priced at $120 only. It was pitted against FN's Police shotgun.

Welcome to the Basement naro and archjames99! {hs#

I would be very cautious making decisions based on gun magazine (site) testing. See if you can find anyone who actually owns one and uses it with any degree of regularity. I get a catalog from Centerfire Systems every so often. They carry a lot of stuff that no one else, except maybe CDNN, does. Saw $199 for the RI M5 (Armscor).

As others here have already said, the Chinese shotguns are very much hit and miss. Some are great, some are junk. I have an H&R Pardner (Chinese copy of an 870) and it has worked pretty well. But I bought it because my daughter needed something for protection in her apartment that I wouldn't mind getting stolen if it happened, so cheap was the word. This thing is kind of the Hi-Point of the shotgun world - it always goes bang and that's it. I owned a Norinco Winchester 97 copy that I used in Cowboy shooting. Pretty decent gun.

I think if you shop carefully you can find a servicable shotgun for around $200 or, for another $100, get a Remington 870 Home Defense or one of the Mossbergs. Lots of guys seem to like the Mossberg Maverick 88 and I haven't seen any problems with them. IIRC most of the competition guys are running FN SLP or some other exotic - about $900-$1000.

ETA: Welcome to the Basement sinister and redcrow ... didn't mean to forget you. Did I miss anyone else?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:37 pm 
Utility Grade

I have been looking for some sort of review before I purchased this shotgun - no luck. I ended up just buying it because it looked cool ($230 brand new). I have the Rock Island Armory M5/ARMSCOR 12G... whatever you want to call it. I spent all week scrubbing off the gooey factory splooge so I can shoot it this weekend. I'll post again.