CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vang Comp with slugs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:14 pm 
Utility Grade

I am in law enforcement and planning on getting one of his barrels for my 870. The smaller 00buck spread is perfect when you are accountable for every round that comes out of your gun, but I have heard that his barrels don't do well with slugs. I use standard 1oz rifled slugs, and their max effective range out of an 18.5 inch barrel is about 100 yards give or take. My question is, will I be sacrificing range and/or accuracy with slugs using a Vang barrel?

I don't want to spend this extra cash and have a gun that does great with 00 and terrible with slugs.

-Thanks

Post subject: Re: Vang Comp with slugs
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:47 pm 
Field Grade

Not to hijack the thread, but before anyone answers zzz's question I thought I'd ask the question how the Federal Truball Slugs perform in a Vanged barrel?

Post subject: Re: Vang Comp with slugs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:08 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Welcome to the Basement, zzz. I found one report of slug patterns from a Vang Comp barrel. TacticalForums.com: "Slug accuracy was tested at 25 yards using Remington's Reduced Recoil Law Enforcement Slugs and Winchester's Low Recoil Slugs. All 3 shot groups ran between 2"-4" with the variation in group size being attributed to shooter, not equipment, error. (PS I'm now getting 1.5"-2" groups at 25 yards---18 Jan 2000)"

"Can I shoot slugs out of the Vang Comp barrel? Yes, you can! The Vang Comp System allows you to shoot whatever your shotgun will digest." So you might as well just call Mr. Vang and ask him about slug patterns (1-928-636-8455 or hans@VANGCOMP.COM ).

But you are in LE and you already know when you need a rifle and you already know not to try to turn a shotgun into a rifle. I would rather stock up with lots of Federal LE132 00 buckshot with FliteControl (only $4.00/5 from Streicher's) and lots of Federal Tru-Ball slugs.

True, when TEOTWAWKI comes, there may not be any LE132 or Tru-Ball slugs available, but you might not be able to get your hands on your Vang Comp 870 either. It's just less complicated to stock up big on good ammo that works right in almost any C/IC shotgun. I am not disrespecting Mr. Vang, but ammo technology has begun to race past the gunsmithing magic.