Shotgun Forum banner

Bought me my first Benelli today. Its the SuperNova tactical

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Julabee Jones 
#1 ·
I couldnt be more pleased to finally have this shotgun in my hands! I initially wanted a Remington 870 but the features on this Benelli were just too hard to say no to. Oh and it was less money than the 870 to boot?

The rotating, dual locking lug, bolt head is just so sexy and reminiscent of the bolt on an M14 or even an M16? I love it. Also, the magazine stop button is a nice feature if I ever want or need to drop in a slug without chambering a round from the magazine. Nice innovative idea.

I just field stripped it per the manual and WHOA! It was super simple? I thought for sure the Italians would have over engineered this gun but they actually made it easier to take down and reassemble that my Mossberg. No more shell stop levers and interrupter levers to fiddle with when reassembling the gun.

The ghost ring sights are freakin awesome. I cant wait to see how easy I can hit a man sized target at 100 yards with rifled slugs with these sights?

Mine came with the Comfort Tech stock which I dont plan on changing for a pistol grip btw. I like my pumps to have traditional style stocks.

The position of the safety right in front of the trigger has to be the best place for a safety I have ever felt. So natural feeling. No more reaching over to the tang with my thumb or bending my finger back behind the trigger. Right in front...who would have thought???

All I need now is a plus +2 mag extension.

The only thing I will miss is having dual extractors. I have lots of guns with single extractors so I should be ok. I dont miss my Mossberg 590 at all.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on the purchase of your SuperNova. It is a fine shotgun, IMHO. I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine.

I've done some write-ups and reviews on the SuperNova and some of the accessories for it and put them on my site. In case you wish to review them, you can find them at the following locations:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/benelli/supernova-1.htm

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/mesa/sureshell/sureshell-1.htm

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/nordic/mag/mag-1.htm

http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/tacsling/tacsling-1.htm

Enjoy!

#4 ·
Hey Guys;

I hope y'all don't mind my eavesdropping on this thread. But ole' arizona98tj said something that resonated with me bigtime,

"Over the past 50 something years, I've never experienced "love at first sight". I came pretty darn close to it when I met my wife....I think it took me the better part of two days before I realized it. But it really was "love at first sight" when I walked into the gun store a couple of weeks ago and I saw that Benelli SuperNova hanging on the wall."

It took me back to when I bought my Nova some months ago, and my Supernova like a month ago. I am enamored of both guns, and like my own kids, I simply cannot choose which one I like best. The Nova stock made a perfect place to hide a microfiber cloth serving as padding for a three bladed lock back knife....the Supernova has the OEM pistol grip, and while I'm not generally enamored of pistol grips, I sure do like this one.

And like you, I couldn't hardly miss lining my eye up with the sights if I tried.

Slings on both have sewn on cordura lock back knife sheaths, and I have 150 lumen lights on each. I've also added elasticised 5 round butt cuffs on each, giving me ten rounds on board (with one in the chamber).

I'm debating the additions of mag tube extenders (but have my doubts about the added weight), and sidesaddle shell holders. I have also added a red dot sight to the Supernova (the Nova isn't drilled, yet, anyhow) and now need to get sighted in with slugs.

Both guns recoil pretty forcefully with 3.5 inch 00 buck, but it hurts in a very nice way.

So, I'm with you both on the Benellis. I'm starting to think about an M4, but haven't mentioned it to Mrs. Jones yet....I may wait on that a while.

JJ

#5 ·
Hi Tom......glad to hear you found some helpful info at the web site. I've not doubt you'll really enjoy your SN.

J. Jones.....sounds like you are certainly neck deep in it. LOL!!!! You seem to have things going along just fine.

I have really gotten my $$ worth out of my side saddle when taking the training classes at Front Sight. We do a number of drills that involves loading rounds (while you are on the clock), such as select slug, emergency reload, load one - shoot one, etc. In all of these drills, the side saddle rules. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast......and in all cases, economy of motion helps get you to fast.

I opted for another shotgun around Christmas time (self induced present I guess). I had been wanting a semi-auto for a while and picked up a new FNH SLP Mark1. I put an EOTech sight on it.....and I really like the combination. With 8+1 capability from the factory, plus you can ghost load a round, I didn't need a full sized side saddle. I added a simple two round shell holder for the Front Sight drills and local range practice. Here is a pic of it.

#6 ·
Congrats on the Benelli SNT!! That shotgun is awesome. I wish I had gotten THAT instead of my Rem 870 (SNT wasn't out yet). Like you, I despise the rear safety of the Remington and prefer the forward location of the Benelli (and others seem to be FINALLY moving to this location). I grew up on Winchesters (which have had forward safeties for YEARS as well as a rotating bolt on 12/1300's), so I should have known better. Oh well. Live and learn. I hope to acquire an SNT as well (and get rid of the 870). IMHO, the Benelli is FAR better thought out than the 870 . Not to knock the 870 though...it is what it was designed for: a cost effective, reliable workhorse. In that it succeeds. To those used to "rear mounted" safeties...even better. But that SNT....ooohhhhh (insert drooling icon here). Darn you! Now i'm obsessing over it again! :lol:

#8 ·
Congrats on a fine purchase. I have the same model as well as two more (one with a pistol grip and rifle sights and one with a pistol grip and ghost ring sights). They're awesome shotguns for sure. You listed most of the features I really like, but I thought I'd add a few more...

The gun disassembles easier than an 870 (the take down pins are easier to remove). It doesn't have a spring loaded shell carrier, which I think is a major plus because it isn't in the way when reloading. The bore is chrome lined and the barrel is over bored. Lastly, unlike the 870, the ejector is spring loaded and easily replaceable where as the ejector on the 870 is riveted in place by the factory.

Yes Sir, the SuperNova is one sweet shotgun. You made a good choice.

Andrew

#9 ·
Wow this gun is getting better and better every time I turn around. You'd think they would charge more for a shotgun with all these factory features? I agree the gun is super easy to field strip. I timed myself just for fun and didnt even rush. 60 seconds flat. Re-assembly was 62 seconds. My Mossberg was easy also but no where near as easy as the SuperNova. Its not over-engineered at all.

Thanks for the updated info. I was so infatuated with the other features I didnt even notice that the loading gate locks in the up position so it wont pinch your thumb? That is awesome. Thats what I like about my Mossberg and I am glad it carries over to my new shotgun.

#10 ·
I dreaded taking my Supernova apart, for I'd read you have to loosen the bolt that holds the pistol grip stock on, in order to remove the trigger group....but I needed to do it in order to punch out the little plugs on top of the receiver, and to add a Weaver rail, upon which I intended to add a red dot sight.

So, I bit the bullet and tied into it. And it was a snap! All that was required was a common enough 1/2 inch nut driver (a socket and ratchet would serve just as well), and everything was just as the Nova from that point. The bolt wasn't very tight, and I didn't torque it particularly tight upon replacement. The only negative is that to this point, I've never yet managed to get the two punch-out pins in correctly the first try....I always get the wrong one in the wrong hole and have to start over.

When all is said and done, I love the gun, can field strip it in moments, and have determined I'm not going to add anything that compromises that ease of use.

JJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.