CalendarCalendar   Photos  * FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Benelli M4 vs Mossberg 930SPX
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a Mossberg 590A1 and am very happy with it. Might be interested in obtaining an auto-loader. The Benelli M4 is a lot more than the Mossberg 930 SPX. Interested in opinions concerning whether the M4 is worth the extra cost.

Post subject: Re: Benelli M4 vs Mossberg 930SPX
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

What is an Benelli M4 running now, about a grand?
Sure it's better than a 930SPX, at that price you'd Hope so. But is it twice as good?

A Ferrari may be "better" than a Corvette, but is the Corvette good enough for what you want it to do? If so, do you need to spend twice as much to drive a Ferrari instead?

I probably haven't run more than a thousand rounds through my SPX, and with the exception of some Fiocchi rounds during break-in, it's been 100% reliable. How much more reliable do I need than that?

Last edited by Fallschirmjäger on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

Actually the M4's are running about $1500.00 give or take. That is almost three times the price of the 930SPX. As I said, I like my 590A1. I did add a choke to my 590A1 and the M4 comes with that, but I could send the barrel of the SPX out to get it drilled to accept chokes for about $140.00.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
Sure it's better than a 930SPX, at that price you'd Hope so. But is it twice as good?

A Ferrari is may be "better" than a Corvette, but is the Corvette good enough for what you want it to do? If so, do you need to spend twice as much to drive a Ferrari instead?

I probably haven't run more than a thousand rounds through my SPX, and with the exception of some Fiocchi rounds during break-in, it's been 100% reliable. How much more reliable do I need than that?

+1 on that....my SPX runs great

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Another thing to consider is the controls that you're used to controls of the 590, the controls of the 930 are the same so you won't need to be fumbling for an unfamiliar safety when your under stress, I like the fact that the safeties are the same as well as the basic stock dimensions....

Smitty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:06 am 
Tournament Grade

Yeah, I thought Benelli's were running around that range, but I always like to give as much credit to the other side as I can when I'm making my case.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here is the issue I see.
The Benelli is a Benelli. It has a certain amount of cache to it, if you are into that. And there are a lot of people that are certainly into that. It is used by the Marines, and a lot of people love that. It is certainly a good defensive/combat shotgun even with the collapsible stock. It will be reliable, and there are enough US parts available that you can work around 922.r now. It will retain its value very well. But it will cost you a LOT. Especially if you decide to add the large capacity mag tube and you will be able to buy a whole other shotgun with what a collapsible stock will cost.
The SPX is a Mossberg. By reputation it will be a more simplistic model. It will not win friends based on brands, and hawt chicks will not be mystically drawn to you. It will in all probability work. It will probably not have the canted sight anymore. It will probably not have a broken forearm retainer anymore. It will probably not have stripped out rail screws, or incorrect rail screws anymore. I say this because these are all issues (the major ones) that the SPX has had and I've been one of the people bitching about them for years. That said, if you get a working model it is a great shogun. It will leave you more budget to put into actually shooting it or modifying, or both.
Obejectively: They both shoot the same rounds. The SPX may be better suited for the lighter loads. They are both semiautos. They have different gas systems. One costs more initially, will cost way more to accessorize, and has more options in some areas of that accessorizing, but will retain almost all of that value. One has more curb appeal.
The only one who can decide if it is worth the extra cost is you. That is a subjective decision.

http://www.weaponevolution.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:53 pm 
Field Grade

my M4 relpaced my SPX. Just because I got smokin' deal on one.. My SPX ran almost
100% on everthing after a good proper break in!! 300rds of 00 buck /slugs to loosen it up. If I would run a lot of rounds all at once like in a shotgun class I would spray some oil in the chamber after I started feeling the action slow usally around 55-60rds of cheap 71/2 target loads.. There great shotguns! But with that said My Benelli M4 was worth every penny!!

CHL/CWP/NRA Certified Firearms Instructor.
http://www.defensiveimpact.com

Post subject: ATF 922R
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:55 pm 
Field Grade

922R

M24 eluded to it, but it hasn't been discussed in detail yet. Although a Benelli M4 would be awesome.... it is an import and therefore you can only add so much foreign aftermarket parts to it.

You would not be able to add a magazine extension, collapsible stock etc. until either American made aftermarket parts come available and get rid of some of the other foreign features.

Info on ATF's 922R:
922 (r)
The Imported Parts Law(1990)
178.39 otherwise known as 922(r) 10 Foreign parts law on semiauto Rifles & Shotguns
http://www.atf.treas.gov/regulations/27cfr178.html
Sec. 178.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.
(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.
(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution
by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of
testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the
provisions of Sec. 178.151; or
(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the replacement of any part of such firearm.
(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

I originally wanted a Benelli M4 but ended up going with a Mossberg 930SPX. I've added tritium night sights, a 9 round magazine for 3-gun, 8 round for HD, a Streamlight TLR-1S, extended bolt nob, Choate pistol grip, metal safety, barrel threaded for REM-chokes, and some other etc.

If you are fine with sticking with an original as sold M4 then you are good to go, but it really ties your hands for customization

Example of cost difference: My 930SPX including gun and accessories has a total of around $800.00 in it. A similar M4 would cost me over $1,800 dollars, and that is IF I would be able to find US made parts for the M4. If I was going to bet my life on the M4 as a HD weapon then it may be worth it, but for 3-gun that price difference is a lot of practice rounds.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:20 pm 
Field Grade

There are a lot of U.S. made afther market parts Now, there are about 5-7 different companies
making Full lenght Magazine tubes and I have a Mesa Tachtical 8 rd one piece Rail shell holder
so you can legally Make your M4 just as you want it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

price and capability of a semi auto defensive 12 gauge hasn't entered the realm of viability in my opinion, yet...when it comes to the every man that is.

until a semi auto is made that is at least roughly as reliable as a pump, has enough aftermarket and OEM parts available as a 500 or 870 and is priced firmly at 800 or less,

no thanks. so many headaches and pipe dreams averted by just practicing and stocking up on ammo with a pump. the price difference and performance3 comparisons are just too far apart and/or close together to warrant purchasing one.

so in my opinion, neither. this is a conclusion that I've come to after much internal debate. i wish i could feel otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:24 pm 
Field Grade

there is one thing semi's have on pumps and that is speed!!
this is my custom Mossy 935 20" with ghost ring sights
It ran 100% 0n 3" or 3.5" :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rjeSnUjtiI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcompnsTm3M[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:52 pm 
Field Grade

I have a Benelli M4, but I would like to suggest the FN SLP to you. They can be had for less than $900. Very high quality weapon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:31 pm 
Limited Edition

I used the 1014 both in security forces and in the fleet. Is it worth the cost? YES Do I have the money to buy one? NO. But that doesnt mean it isnt worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:13 pm 
Field Grade

My 930 Spx runs like a champ no issues ..even running low brass through it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:57 pm 
Field Grade

I like both!! but the Benelli is the Best Shotgun I've Fired!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Very nice examples of both the M4 and the SPX. I went ahead and got a home security verson of the 930 that came with an 18 and 28 inch barrel. Added some items to make it my version of the SPX, with a red dot reflex sight instead of the sight that comes with the SPX. Looking forward to getting to the range.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:35 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a Benelli (an M1S90) and a Mossberg. No doubt about it, the Benelli is a quality gun. Light, good finish, reliable, and it does have the "cachet" as someone mentioned.

Is it worth 2.5X the price of the Mossberg 930 SPX? If I were buying again, I'd go for the Mossberg (or Remington) and put the extra $$$ into accessories or, better yet, ammo.

Even with the M4 having the gas pistons to make the inertia system more reliable with accessories on the gun, it's still a shoulder-pounder.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Fallschirmjäger wrote:

A Ferrari may be "better" than a Corvette, but is the Corvette good enough for what you want it to do? If so, do you need to spend twice as much to drive a Ferrari instead?

It depends on what you want and can afford. Personally I would rather have the Ferrari/M4, if I could afford it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
Sure it's better than a 930SPX...I probably haven't run more than a thousand rounds through my SPX, and with the exception of some Fiocchi rounds during break-in, it's been 100% reliable.

So why is the M4 better?

KLR