ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Mossberg 500-Forend Suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:00 pm 
Utility Grade

I just recently purchased a Mossberg 500 and so far I am very pleased with the shotgun. I will primarily be using this gun for home defense, as I have a Remington Wingmaster that I use for bird hunting. I also purchased the ATI adjustable stock for the shotgun and again so far I am pleased with the stock. I like the fact that it is adjustable, both my girlfriend and I can use the shotgun in case of an emergency. I am looking for a forend to complete the shotgun, I am specifically looking for a forend with an attached flashlight or a forend with some kind of picatinny rail which I can mount a flashlight. Any suggestions? comments?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post subject: Re: New Mossberg 500-Forend Suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a fore end that you can put a light on with the rails but I dont use it because it move back and hits my fingers when the gun is fired. I have heard that even the Surefire unit can have that problem. I now clamp a light to my barrel so it stays in one place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:22 pm 
Field Grade

Leapers makes one that is pretty heavy duty. All aluminum too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

Im with Cmug with wanting the light upfront on the barrel / mag tube.
No way id want a sharp metal edge by my / girlfriends finger when firing a 00 or slug.
Id go with a Hogue forend. Cheap, And from pictures looks to have a nice "gritty" grip.

How sturdy is that stock? I wanted something adjustable as well, But then was sold on a Knoxx because of the Recoil reduction. I wanted to do it to my 835, because barrels are cheaper [18"] but decided id just chop my winchester 1300 and keep it primarily HD.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've wasted money on a railed forend. The Hogue overmold forend is the way to go IMO. A CDM Gear MT clamp or MOD-C clamp is what I would recommend for a flashlight mount.

And Solo as my pilot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
^^^Good recommendation, TexasNativeDRJH.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:41 pm 
Field Grade

z0n3d0u7 wrote:
Im with Cmug with wanting the light upfront on the barrel / mag tube.
No way id want a sharp metal edge by my / girlfriends finger when firing a 00 or slug.
Id go with a Hogue forend. Cheap, And from pictures looks to have a nice "gritty" grip.

How sturdy is that stock? I wanted something adjustable as well, But then was sold on a Knoxx because of the Recoil reduction. I wanted to do it to my 835, because barrels are cheaper [18"] but decided id just chop my winchester 1300 and keep it primarily HD.

I shot a guy's gun that had the hogue forend and stock. The grip is rubbery not really gritty. The stock is nice and comes with a pretty good recoil pad. You can also get a very similar recoil reduction with a limb saver slip on pad. Personally I shortened the standard stock myself by 2" and put a limb saver on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:43 pm 
Presentation Grade

It is definitely more "rubbery" than "gritty".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I also agree that the Hogue is the way to go. I have one on my 590A1 and everyone I allow to shoot it seem to like the size, shape and rubbery non slip texture.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:34 pm 
Utility Grade

z0n3d0u7-The stock is real sturdy, its solid and the adjustments are tight and lock well. Also, the stock has a recoil pad that reduces the recoil quite a bit.

Thanks for the recommendations fellas, I'm still looking around. Was up in the northwoods of Wis this weekend for opening gun deer season so haven't had alot of time to look around.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:12 pm 
Limited Edition

Another vote for the hogue. Ordered the stock (12 lop) an ordered the forend just cause it was only a few buck more. Didn't replace the forend for a good while since I liked the one I had on the 500. So after a few weeks I put on the hogue forend, just to see how I liked it. It was a big improvement to me an much easier to grip.
doc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

I forget where i seen the picture of it [Amazon?] but it looked to have a "Gritty sandpaper" texture to it. I will take your guyses word for it however, Because i havent seen one in person. I was planning on buying one because i didnt know wether or not my Knoxx i ordered came with a forend, But i recieved it, And it does indeed include one [amazons description was VERY vauge, And mentioned nothing of the forend.]

I still might at some point switch out to the Hogue set-up, but for now i like the Knoxx.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

You are right, it does look "gritty" but because it is all rubber you don't notice it in your grip. If you want something to compare it to, try to see if your local gun store has the Hogue Handall slip on grips for pistols, it is the same rubber feel and look as best as I can tell.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:35 am 
Tournament Grade

Gotcha. I got hogue wrap arounds on my 1911 and Love them.
I am also going hunting for the "Handall" slip on today, for my P3AT.

I have 0 doubts they are great forends. The "Gritty" texture made it look great for those times i had gloves on, However if they are anything like my Wrap arounds, Im it will be just fine with gloves on.

I hope my KNOXX isnt too slick.