It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just got a great deal on my first Mossberg!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:23 pm 
Field Grade

I was looking for either a Mossberg 500 with a 18.5" barrel in 12 gauge. I was leaning towards the 50411 BUT I couldn't find it any cheaper than $319 locally.

Today I bought a Mossberg 500 18.5" barrel and is Parkerized. Model is 50521. I don't see it on Mossberg's website though?????
I found it for $259! This is $60 cheaper than the 50411 AND has a parkerized finish which I believe usually is more money than the blued versions. I has a different forearm stock which imo looks nicer. It also appears to have a shorter shoulder stock is shorter and has a better recoil pad than the 50411 model which I thought was a plus.

So I do have a few questions.
1) Why is this model 50521 cheaper than the 50411?
2) Why isn't this listed on Mossberg's website?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... s_id/39622

Post subject: Re: Just got a great deal on my first Mossberg!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nice find Joe! Buds carries some different items, and I've found some remington limited edition shotguns on there from time to time. I don't know why Mossberg doesn't have it on their site, maybe it's a special run. I like the forearm on that rifle, it's different from the tactical one's they usually offer. You got a great price and enjoy that rifle and shoot it often.

Post subject: Just got a great deal on my first Mossberg!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nerostarr wrote:
...I like the forearm on that rifle... enjoy that rifle and shoot it often.

I'm pretty sure it's a shotgun.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:58 pm 
Field Grade

Yeah it is a shotgun lol. It was cheaper than the 50411 Mossberg and has better feature imo than it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:31 pm 
Utility Grade

That model is cheaper because it features the Maverick pinned fore end. Otherwise, seems neat.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:18 am 
Field Grade

droobies wrote:
That model is cheaper because it features the Maverick pinned fore end. Otherwise, seems neat.

Any huge disadvantage of having this pinned fore end?

I heard it is harder to swap out (not that big of deal for me).

How about quality and functionality?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)

5523PD on 03 Aug 2008 wrote:
I recently purchased a Mossberg 500, model 50521. This is an unusual variant since it is sold as "500 persuader" but utilizes the cheaper Maverick style fore end assembly...
Welcome to the Basement, joepa150. As you posted on another forum, the #50521 is $261 on CTD. Perhaps Mossberg limits certain models to specific distributors or stores, and in this case, the pinned forend would let them offer #50521 at a noticeably lower price to those distributors or stores. It has been available since at least 2007.

As long as a buyer knows that a model has the pinned forend and he is satisfied with it and he has no plans to change it for a different one, then Mossberg helped him to save a little money. Sometimes a buyer does not research a model enough and later he is disappointed when, for example, he wants a nicer Hogue forend and only then learns that he will also need to buy an action slide tube assembly. Only two pinned forends have been reported here as breaking, AFAIK. Your #50521 has a ten year Mossberg warranty, so I think that reliability is not a real issue for you, although upgrading may cost you about as much money as you initially saved. Good luck, sir.