ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rebuilding my 870 express into a HD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:22 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ok hi everybody! Well I've lurked long enough now i finally decided to take the plunge and redo my 870 into a home defense weapon.
As far as tacticool I'm not gonna put myself in the position of having to defend my self and maybe go in front of a jury and have them look at some quasi-swat-urban commando type 12 gauge. Just not my style.(love to look at them though)
So onto my still in progress build.
First thing i ordered was a 20 inch rifle sighted smooth bore with built-in ic choke.
I'm probably going to order nightsights down the road for it.
Next i ordered a rem +3 extension kit. This comes complete with every thing i think i need for now.
next month (or next year lol) i will be ordering some internal springs and a short lop houge stock and forearm. Im still researching lights and sidesaddles.

Any input? Feel free to chime in.
I know the 18 inch bbl is much more popular for a hd weapon. My choice is to have the extra 1.5 inches out front with an extra shell and compensate for that with a shorter stock.

Last edited by nodakjohns on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: rebuilding my 870 express mag into a HD
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just make sure you test the mag extension before you trust it. And maybe add a sling. Looks like you have the right idea! KISS.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yes sir i plan on having qd swivels on it. Dremeled off the dimples fine sanded them then put cold blueing to cover the bare metal then sprayed rem drilube down the pipe and assembled it. Looks pretty nice with the wood still on it but need that shorter stock !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

nodakjohns wrote:
Yes sir i plan on having qd swivels on it. Dremeled off the dimples fine sanded them then put cold blueing to cover the bare metal then sprayed rem drilube down the pipe and assembled it. Looks pretty nice with the wood still on it but need that shorter stock !

Hmm, I got a Wingmaster with a cracked stock and a Hougue front grip. Be hard to go wrong with the Hougue 12" LOP stock, and perhaps we can do some trading on the stuff we have...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:06 pm 
Diamond Grade

Well, you don't have to do any research on the light, just buy a TLR-1. You may find something cheaper but you'll kill it on the pump within a few range trips and you could buy some more expensive but why? I've had a TLR-1s for probably three years now. Had to change the batteries once in that time and I use it pretty often for reloading drills in the dark and room clearing for fun. It's been on my 870, AR, M9 and now back on my 870 through probably 1000+ combined rounds and it's still functioning perfectly. If you buy a TLR-1s, the strobe will cease to function when the batteries are almost dead. You still get a useful amount of light though, that's just how it lets you know you need to change the batteries.

As for side saddles, go with either Mesa Tactical or some form of removable velcro shotshell cards like Esstac or SOE. Tacstar's carrier works but it's cheap, it can be overtightened and compromise the weapon's function and it covers too much of the shell. For example, I have an easier time grabbing a shell from an elastic loop that's 1 1/2" than a 2" elastic sleeve like the kind a lot of people use on their stocks. Same thing with Tacstar and Mesa Tactical. The more of the shell you can grab, the easier it is to use. A 2 3/4" shell is usually only 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" before you fire it. The biggest problem I had with the Tacstar carrier I used to have was that it's made of plastic so it wears out and you have to replace it. I started losing shells when I was shooting and it was useless. Mesa Tactical's retention system is an rubber strip that comes in behind the yokes and holds them in place. When it wears out, you can get more of them from MT for free. Yeah, they cost literally double what the Tacstar unit does but you get what you pay for.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hmm, I got a Wingmaster with a cracked stock and a Hougue front grip. Be hard to go wrong with the Hougue 12" LOP stock, and perhaps we can do some trading on the stuff we have...[/quote]

Sorry to here about the cracked stock! I'm probably going to keep the wood furniture and use it when i convert it back to a pheasant gun as the need arises.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Misery556 wrote:
Well, you don't have to do any research on the light, just buy a TLR-1. You may find something cheaper but you'll kill it on the pump within a few range trips and you could buy some more expensive but why? I've had a TLR-1s for probably three years now. Had to change the batteries once in that time and I use it pretty often for reloading drills in the dark and room clearing for fun. It's been on my 870, AR, M9 and now back on my 870 through probably 1000+ combined rounds and it's still functioning perfectly. If you buy a TLR-1s, the strobe will cease to function when the batteries are almost dead. You still get a useful amount of light though, that's just how it lets you know you need to change the batteries.

As for side saddles, go with either Mesa Tactical or some form of removable velcro shotshell cards like Esstac or SOE. Tacstar's carrier works but it's cheap, it can be overtightened and compromise the weapon's function and it covers too much of the shell. For example, I have an easier time grabbing a shell from an elastic loop that's 1 1/2" than a 2" elastic sleeve like the kind a lot of people use on their stocks. Same thing with Tacstar and Mesa Tactical. The more of the shell you can grab, the easier it is to use. A 2 3/4" shell is usually only 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" before you fire it. The biggest problem I had with the Tacstar carrier I used to have was that it's made of plastic so it wears out and you have to replace it. I started losing shells when I was shooting and it was useless. Mesa Tactical's retention system is an rubber strip that comes in behind the yokes and holds them in place. When it wears out, you can get more of them from MT for free. Yeah, they cost literally double what the Tacstar unit does but you get what you pay for.

Thank you for the heads up on the light! I've seen a photo of your weapon and frankly its kind of my role model for what I'm trying to accomplish! (So feel free to insert photos of the items your recommending lol) as for the shell carrier im kind of on the fence about that as i want to be able to use it with either hand as im a lefty but right eye dominant and shoot with either hand. So i dont think anything on the stock is going to work.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

nodakjohns wrote:
Thank you for the heads up on the light! I've seen a photo of your weapon and frankly its kind of my role model for what I'm trying to accomplish! (So feel free to insert photos of the items your recommending lol)...

Well it looks like Misery now has company.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:45 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well ordered the houge 12 inch lop stock from midway tonight! They were backordered on the carrier spring and extractor. Hopefully by next weekend i will have the stock! Then a light and some way to attach it and a shell holder of some sort that attaches to the reciever .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ok was bored so i ended up ordering a mesa tactical 6 shell holder. So now that i have that on the way the only thing to wait for is my back ordered parts and pick a light and some way to hold it on. Any body having any sales on a TLR-1s ? And what is a good mount for it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:22 am 
Diamond Grade

i agree with your thinking on "tacticool" and think you're going in the right direction.. i have a couple of "friends" that buy anything they find and mount it on their guns declaring they have a swiss army gun lol.... to each his own.. i do think all that stuff has a place and use but the more crap you put on your gun the heavier it gets and the more chance you have of snagging it somehow on bedsheets, clothing, curtains, door jambs, etc.... whatever you put on the gun keep it lightweight, low profile, simple.... for HD i do see a need for a light rather than an extended magazine... even my ar15 has nothing on it but open sights. i only keep 15 round mags loaded with it.. i do have 30's but fel they extend to far and too much weight weight. in a shtf scenario i'm reaching for my 30 rounders no doubt, but for practical defense i like the shorter lighter mags... your choice of pump gun is excellent, the only thing i would do differently would be to ditch the extended magazine and the side saddle.. but thats just my opinion... dont forget to polish the chamber on that shotgun!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:24 am 
Diamond Grade

i also agree with your choice of barrel. the 20 is best all around use length imho. and with screw in chokes its so much more versatile. everything from HD to bears to turkeys and deer you got it covered man! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

OP, Amazon has good prices on the TLR-1. I have one on my 870P, with this mount: http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69903 ... ight+mount

They offer a combo, $117 for the light and mount. I'd jump on that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

cg wrote:
i agree with your thinking on "tacticool" and think you're going in the right direction.. i have a couple of "friends" that buy anything they find and mount it on their guns declaring they have a swiss army gun lol.... to each his own.. i do think all that stuff has a place and use but the more crap you put on your gun the heavier it gets and the more chance you have of snagging it somehow on bedsheets, clothing, curtains, door jambs, etc.... whatever you put on the gun keep it lightweight, low profile, simple.... for HD i do see a need for a light rather than an extended magazine... even my ar15 has nothing on it but open sights. i only keep 15 round mags loaded with it.. i do have 30's but fel they extend to far and too much weight weight. in a shtf scenario i'm reaching for my 30 rounders no doubt, but for practical defense i like the shorter lighter mags... your choice of pump gun is excellent, the only thing i would do differently would be to ditch the extended magazine and the side saddle.. but thats just my opinion... dont forget to polish the chamber on that shotgun!!!!!!!

OK thank you for the gut check! You are totally right about the side saddle shell holder. I will save that for range work and a defensive shotgun course and take it off at home. As far as the extended magazine. Well if it proves 100% reliable. Then it will stay on because it does give me piece of mind having enough shells in the gun for most hd situations.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

cg wrote:
i also agree with your choice of barrel. the 20 is best all around use length imho. and with screw in chokes its so much more versatile. everything from HD to bears to turkeys and deer you got it covered man! :wink:

Well i think it should work just fine. And if i go hunting in a section of the country thats shotgun only i will have that covered . It doesnt have screw in chokes it has an ic choke that's built into the barrel. And yes i certainly plan on polishing the chamber. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Ok well was bored again and decided i had too much money in my pocket and decided
To remedy the situation by splurging on a few more pieces for my build!
Well a little looking and i found the S&j site!So......
I had had heard alot of good things about their followers so i ordered a puke green one
Then i seen a cdm mod c light clamp for a surefire g2x or surefire g2. I like the way it fits on the barrel and mag extension and pulls in tight between them so i ordered that when i seen they had factory seconds .
And of course i NEEDED An oversized safety. So that went on the list too!
So now as far as i know the only thing left is to order the new improved surefire g2-x! I hear the surefires are a solid light and worth the money?

Last edited by nodakjohns on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Excuse my spelling from this phone btw i dont have my bifocals on lol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:03 am 
Diamond Grade

I bought a G2X to replace the Polytacs I kept breaking on my 870 and it didn't work out either. The light would flicker off when I cycled the action and pulled the trigger on snap caps. I emailed Surefire and they told me it's not intended to be used as a weapon mounted light but I had already returned it by the time they finally got back to me. Three weeks. Aside from that, I hated having to twist the cap for a constant on and Surefire does offer a clicky tailcap but they're another $40 on top of the $60 you spend on the light. Anyway, I only tried those two handhelds before I gave up and decided to use the TLR-1 on my 870. I'm going to get another one for my 930 too. There must be handhelds that can stand up to the recoil of the 12 gauge for all the companies that are making mounts like this. Elzetta makes a light that's pretty much indestructable (they have videos were they shoot it and it still works) but they're in the $200 range. A TLR-1S can be had for around $100.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:34 am 
Tournament Grade

Misery556 i have been having buyers remorse since i ordered the clamp! I haven't ordered the light yet so im not in to deep just yet. Maybe maybe maybe idk. I've read some comments from others that had the g2-x and were having excellent luck with it. Which is why i took the plunge. I havent heard to much bad about the tlr-1s except a few that said engaging the strobe can be tricky at times