It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best 12 gauge pump
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:28 am 
Utility Grade

am looking for a good used one and am new to shotguns. any suggestions for makes and models? would be using it primarily for defense-bear and cougars

thx

tom

Post subject: Re: Best 12 gauge pump
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:19 pm 
Field Grade

The 3 most popular are the Mossberg 500/590, the Remington 870 and the Winchester 1300. All 3 have their fans and are quality shotguns. You can't go wrong with either of them. Another choice is an Ithaca 37. I have one of these and they're good guns too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:30 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

For the purpose your describing any of the major manifactures of self defense or tactical shotguns will work. When people ask about which one is best, most will respond that the current one they own is the way to go. Remington, Mossberg, Winchester, Ithaca or Benelli is some of the major brands.
Most of these can outfitted to the individuals preference with different sighting options, magazine capacity, stock designs, slings and just about any thing else that you can imagine.
Personally I perfer a shotgun with a barrel length of 18 to 20 inches for self defense, synthetic speed feed stock, bead or ghost ring sighting with an attachable flashlight with pressure switch to allow the gun to be utilized during low light or dark conditions.
The main thing is that the gun doesn't need to look like a prop from star wars to be efficient. If it will shoot buckshot or slugs to point of aim it will get the job done.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:14 pm 
Limited Edition

My choice is the Remington 870.

Second choice would be a Mossy 590.

Shooters' Legacy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:58 pm 
Field Grade

Hey Tom, as stated above, there are many good choices. Personally, I would reccomend the 870. It is by far the easiest gun to break down (5 parts total!). If you buy a used gun, look at the shell carrier. The older models hung up sometimes. It should have a u-shaped cut out in it. it is called a flex-all carrier. If it doesn't, you can replace it for about $20.