It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reduced Recoil Buckshot
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:26 pm 
Utility Grade

I have a question for all those out there that have any contact with Reduced Recoil Buckshot. How well does it preforem compared to regulear 00 buck? Does it still deliver when the time comes or does it come up short? I would like to know before I keep it in my HD gun. It runs fine out of my Winchester 1300 but I more concerned that I might be lossing valuable knock down power. Am I just being to overly concerned? As allways all answeres are welcome as long as something positive comes from it. :)

Post subject: Re: Reduced Recoil Buckshot
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I wouldn't use it in a gas gun, but in a pump it should be fine. According to Remingtons site, their reduced recoil is about 50-75fps slower than the regular stuff, and I think both reduced & regular throw the same size and amount of lead downrange.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

BTW, why use reduced recoil when something with "more power" is available? If you can handle the stronger loads, go for it! It's like not using P+ in a .38, you never know when you might need extra ~10%. Now if your wife or someone else might ever need to shoot the gun, then reduced is probably the way to go. YMMV

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:47 pm 
Reduced recoil buckshot was designed for recoil sensitive female police officers. It will not perform as well as standard buckshot. It is ok for extreme close range, which is what it will be used for 99% of the time. But it starts losing momentum very fast and it does not pattern very well. If you can handle full loads, use them. And by the way, if you train correctly, anyone can handle standard 00 Buckshot.

ranburr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:47 pm 
Limited Edition

I’ve shot it in my M1S90 and it functioned flawlessly, if your auto will handle regular 1 1/8th oz target loads it should function with the reduced recoil stuff.

In my gun it feels like a standard target load, which makes sense cause the velocity is about the same as a 3Dram load. Two big advantages are the reduced recoil (duh :) ), which allows for faster follow up shots, and it also patterns very well in a lot of guns.

It should also help with over penetration, and the energy should be more than sufficient at normal HD ranges.

Chuck

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:50 am 
Limited Edition

I think that it is okay, and it's good for training. In a real situation I don't think that you would care about the recoil of the regular loads. I guess there is a school of thought that you should shoot with what you train with, but I suspect that most of us shoot cheaper handgun ammo when practicing and load up with something stouter for carry.

Shooters' Legacy