It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forum Guidelines - READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:54 pm 

Forum Guidelines

Personal Attacks. Personal attacks directed at people posting in the forum are not allowed. This type of thing will be dealt with by warnings, locked threads, edited posts or deleted posts, sometimes in that order. Repeat or excessive violators tend to receive less leeway and less understanding treatment. If I delete or edit a post, I’ll usually send a PM as a courtesy to let you know why I did it.

Please note that attacking an argument is not a personal attack. “Bill, you are stupid” is a personal attack; “Bill, your argument is stupid” is not.

If you’re attacked, don’t respond with an attack. Your post will also be deleted. PM me instead. If someone else is attacked and you want to pile on, don’t. Chances are good that your post will also be deleted. If I delete your post, don’t repost it. Continuing the conversation/debate without personal attacks is perfectly acceptable. If a thread is locked because of poor emotional control, don’t make a new thread to continue the flame war. If a thread has been locked and you want to add something that isn’t flame material, then making a new thread is perfectly acceptable.

Private Messages. Don’t repost private messages or emails without express permission from the original sender to do so.

Profanity. Unaltered versions of naughty words are not allowed, but edited versions are fine, as long as their use doesn’t violate other rules.

Off Topic. Anything related to civilian self-defense shotguns, law enforcement shotguns, military shotguns or race gun shotguns (e.g. shotguns designed for 3-gun matches), or the general topic of justifiable use of force is exactly on target for this forum. That’s not an inclusive list. Natural thread drift is expected. Other off topic stuff related to firearms is fine in small doses.

Quoting text. Don’t quote unnecessary text excessively. Quote images only when essential to your message (post on-topic images as often as you’d like). Doing so saves space and bandwidth, especially for people using dial up connections. I probably won’t do anything about this unless the amount of quoted text is excessive, easily removed, and obviously doesn’t change the general message in your post. If I see something like this (an unnecessarily quoted image or a missing bbCode bracket) I’ll just edit it out/in without fanfare.

Arbitration. If you think I’ve fixed some problem incorrectly or dealt with you unfairly, PM me. I’m probably not out to get you. I’m willing to listen to reason, and I’m well aware that I’m capable of making mistakes. Don’t post a complaint of that nature to the group without at least trying to PM me first. If you do, the post will be deleted.

These rules are subject to change as the moderators of this forum and SGW management see fit. If you have any other questions, concerns or comments, feel free to PM me. Please keep general comments and debate on these rules confined to this thread.

Post subject: Re: Forum Guidelines
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:35 pm 

Commercial Posts Shotgunworld (Jay Gentry, site owner) has spoken directly on this issue, so I'll just reproduce his words:

shotgunworld wrote:
- We do allow a tag line in the signature with a link to a commercial site...if they contribute to the forum in a meaningful way. Most vendors are very knowledgeable in their field and may have meaningful insight on the topic. So their contributing works out well for them and SGW.

- We would remove posts, from commercial vendor, if the post was more of a classified than informative reply.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:11 pm 

Pictures and H-Scroll If you link to a picture, please try to make sure that the picture is small enough so that it doesn't affect the horizontal scroll. If you mess with the h-scroll, it makes it a bit difficult to read text in the posts. This may not always be possible, but please try to fix it where it is within your power to do so (resize the image if it's under your control, find a smaller image to link to, whatevs). Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:01 pm 

Not Safe For Work - If you post a link that contains nudity, you should somehow warn other forum members of this, since some might be checking this site from work computers. The standard way to warn others of this is to put the abbreviation NSFW somewhere near the url.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:24 pm 

Grizzlywinmag wrote:
Pictures and H-Scroll If you link to a picture, please try to make sure that the picture is small enough so that it doesn't affect the horizontal scroll. If you mess with the h-scroll, it makes it a bit difficult to read text in the posts. This may not always be possible, but please try to fix it where it is within your power to do so (resize the image if it's under your control, find a smaller image to link to, whatevs). Thanks.

If an image causes the H-scroll problem, I will replace the img tages with url tags, or url="text" tags as appropriate to appropriately resize the right margin. The image will no longer appear in your message, but the text will still hyperlink to image. I won't apply this to any images in the "Post Pictures of your Tactical Shotgun" thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:54 pm 

Disturbing Images - Potentially disturbing images (gun shot wound pictures, for example) should be linked to with the /url tag instead of the /img tag. An appropriate warning should also accompany the links (something like "Warning: Disturbing Images", or "gory picture", etc.).

Post subject: re: Forum Guidelines
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:25 am 

Spam - If you see spam, don't respond to it. Your message will be deleted. The spammers may have ways to detect responses to their threads which indicates that people are paying attention which then shows them to which forums they should send more spam.

The quickest way to see it disappear and never come back is to send me a PM.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:31 pm 

Posting pictures is pretty easy, the basic idea is that you "tell" your post where to look for a picture, and it goes there, hopefully finds a picture and then puts that picture in your post.

To do this, you first need to have the image available on a website somewhere. You can either set up an account with a site like photobucket or imageshack to upload your own images, or you can use Google Image Search to find a represenative picture, copy the location (aka the URL)
and paste it into your post.

You use img tags to tell your post to produce an image. The basic form is this:

Code:
[img]http://www.website.com/YourPicture.jpg[/img]

So let's say we want to post a picture of a USAS-12. Google image search shows us there is a nice, simple USAS-12 picture readily available.

So we click on the image and we see this url:

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/s ... s-12-1.jpg
So we then put the img tags around the url, like this:

Code:
[img]http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/shotgun/sh16/usas-12-1.jpg[/img]

and it should give us an image in our post, like this:

Hope that helps. If you have any questions let me know.

viewtopic.php?p=884425&highlight=#884425

Last edited by Grizzlywinmag on Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:40 pm 

Just a warning, if you type the word "pistol" here on SGW it automatically hotlinks to www.pistolworld.com. If you make pistol the first word in the Subject line of your post, no one will be able to read your post, because pistol will be the only word in the Subject that links anywhere, and it only goes to pistol world. I can access it and fix it if I catch it early enough, but it's a bit of a pain.

So, heads up, if you're going to put the word "pistol" in your subject line, replace the "o" with a zero or the L with a 1, or something like that so we can read your post.

EDIT: It appears that this is no longer in effect. Please disregard.

Post subject: Re: re: Forum Guidelines
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:56 pm 

Grizzlywinmag wrote:
Spam - If you see spam, don't respond to it. Your message will be deleted. The spammers may have ways to detect responses to their threads which indicates that people are paying attention which then shows them to which forums they should send more spam.

The quickest way to see it disappear and never come back, PM MarlandS, jlptexashunter, shotgunworld or myself.

An even quicker way to make spam disappear is to use the "Report This Post" button that should appear as a red exclamation point at the bottom of every post on SGW. Just click that button, fill out the form and submit it.

The mostest quickest way to see this crap leave SGW is to report it and also send me a PM.

Post subject: Re: Forum Guidelines - READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:30 am 

If you are making an off topic post, put "OT", and yes in capitals (umlauts and soupcons optional), as the first two characters of the subject line. This is a courtesy for your fellow posters who may not at that time want to read OT posts. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Forum Guidelines - READ THIS BEFORE YOU POST
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:38 am 

To combat spam we have introduced a post-approval system. If you are posting from a new account, your first post will be moderator approved before it appears. Subsequent posts will not need this approval. If you are wondering why your first post has not yet appeared on the forums, this is almost certainly the reason why. Thank you for your patience in this matter.