It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New SW member
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:40 am 
Utility Grade

Hello,
I've been browsing SW for a little while, but just made an account yesterday. Figured I should introduce myself here since I'm quite partial to tactical/HD shotguns. I collect and shoot a bunch of different guns, but after I had the basics covered I started collecting what a lot of people would consider range toys.

Since everyone enjoys pictures, here's a pic of most of my shotguns:
From left to right,
Winchester model 12
Remington model 31
Franchi LAW 12
Franchi SAS 12
Franchi SPAS 12 (despite popular sentiment, I've found this one to be 100% reliable with the recommended ammo)
UTAS UTS-15

I look forward to talking with you guys, and hopefully learning some new stuff here.

Post subject: Re: New SW member
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:01 am 
Limited Edition

Welcome to the basement. You are off to a good start with that collection. I wish I still had several of your posted guns. I am jealous.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:48 am 
Field Grade

Nice collection! I have a SPAS-12 too. I only put 28g birdshot through it and it cycles fine (Action spring is a bit weak though I reckon)

I also have the SAS-12 and it's just the worst :P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:43 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks guys!
FotoTomas, yeah I've never sold any of my guns for that reason. I always feel like I'd regret it down the road.

Opossum, it says you're in the UK - how difficult was it to get a SPAS 12 over there? I imagine there must be pretty heavy restrictions on something like that.
I might have to see about finding a weaker action spring to run birdshot. They really aren't hard to change out on the fly.
Lol I've hardly shot the SAS 12 at all. Really just wanted it to round out the collection. I had to buy it piece by piece, since I couldn't find a complete one for sale.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:20 pm 
Field Grade

There are restrictions on full capacity shotguns here, basically you need a good reason to own one, like a rifle. If you don't have a reason you can still get them restricted to 2+1 like mine for collecting and dusting the occasional clay pigeon. My weak action spring is likely due to 30 years sitting unloved on a gun rack in a store with the action open.

UK models have an extended thread-on choke welded on to bring the 21.5" barrel up to the legal minimum of 24", though you sometimes see regular chokes on a 24" barrel. They have either the wooden or plastic solid stocks or very rarely they have a fixed folding stock.

Also, I've seen far more SPAS-15's for sale than I have LAW-12's. I'd love a LAW-12 to complete the trio

The SAS-12 is okay, but my example suffers from a horrible practically unusable trigger. Nothing looks worn, it just sucks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:08 pm 
Utility Grade

Wow, kind of mind boggling that you need a reason to buy something. Who decides if your reason is valid? Police chief, I suppose?

I'd love a SPAS 15, but they're very rare over here and sell for about $3500 - $4000. Luckily, SPAS 12s are a bit more common, and it's still possible to find parts for them. Although still more expensive than a regular gun.

The LAW 12 is awesome, it cycles any shell the SPAS will and it's much lighter.

You might be able to find a spare trigger group for your SAS online, they take the exact same assembly as the LAW and SPAS. I'd say take it to a gunsmith, but I doubt anyone local has ever worked on one before.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:42 pm 
Field Grade

Yeah the police get to decide that kinda stuff.

I'll probably never shoot the SAS again. It was a $200 gun bought with the intention that some parts could be used to fix up the SPAS if necessary. I have an 870 Wingmaster and an Ithaca 37 which are more practical for shooting :D

The SPAS-15 is huge. I've handled one and it's big and heavy and silly and I want one.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:10 pm 
Utility Grade

Great price on the SAS! I'm jealous.

And big, heavy, silly guns are right up my alley. I'd love to get a SPAS 15 eventually, but that probably won't happen for a while.

Very nice SPAS 12 too! Most barrel extensions I've seen look stupid, but that extended choke doesn't look too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:42 pm 
Field Grade

Yeah you're right, it' a pretty tasteful choke, and I believe it's legit Franchi, as evidenced by the similar style one that came spare with the SAS:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:57 pm 
Utility Grade

Cool. I've got a few that came in similar boxes, but they're a bit different. The ones I have are parkerized instead of blued, and they have knurling on the end. Also, they're noticeably shorter. I suppose Franchi had those made longer specially to accommodate UK law.