It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tactical/Home defense Course Questions and Reviews.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Warlock, I can't believe you uttered the name on an open forum. Expect a hurricane shortly.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:13 pm 
Field Grade

FMD wrote:

Warlock, I can't believe you uttered the name on an open forum. Expect a hurricane shortly.

was it in reply to my post?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yep. Tactiacalreality.com is Defensive Edge's forum. Not a whole lot of traffic except for alumni, but Greg will typically guage interest in upcoming classes by posting there first, and it's the first place that upcoming classes get announced.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:22 pm 
Field Grade

FMD wrote:
Yep. Tactiacalreality.com is Defensive Edge's forum. Not a whole lot of traffic except for alumni, but Greg will typically guage interest in upcoming classes by posting there first, and it's the first place that upcoming classes get announced.

I registered and it said that the administrator needs to review the registration request and approve it. that was the last I've heard and I still can not access the forum. Can you assist please?

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:05 am 
Limited Edition

Anything close to central TN, or is Defensive Concepts in N.C. the best for my area?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:49 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

http://www.tacticalresponse.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:34 pm 
Limited Edition

That's awesome thank you

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:17 pm 
Utility Grade

We will be teaching our Defensive Shotgun course on 17 Sept 2011 in Carthage, NC for those that are interested.

http://defensiveconceptsnc.com/register ... hotgun.php

Vickers Shooting Method Regional Endorsed Instructor

http://www.defensiveconceptsnc.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

ncpatrolar wrote:
We will be teaching our Defensive Shotgun course on 17 Sept 2011 in Carthage, NC for those that are interested.

http://defensiveconceptsnc.com/register ... hotgun.php

Thanks for posting (Defensive Concepts has been mentioned several times in this thread), welcome to the basement, and stick around!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:25 pm 
Utility Grade

FMD wrote:

Anyone have any review or testimonial on this facility and courses offered? Looks good from the website but would like to get feedback from someone who attended one of the courses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Range God wrote:
FMD wrote:

Anyone have any review or testimonial on this facility and courses offered? Looks good from the website but would like to get feedback from someone who attended one of the courses.

Quickest way to get some idea of course & instructor quality would be to sign up at getoffthex.com forums and start reading the AAR threads. Realize that the board is run by Tactical Response, but most of the reviews are pretty accurate.

Personally, I like many/most of the doctrines there, and they have a very good curriculum (insider industry information: most reputable "tactical" schools are teaching variations of the same curriculum). They have lots of traveling classes, so any answer to your "facility" question may not be relevant.

I seldom train with Tactical Response, but I shoot regularly with several of their instructors. I would take a rifle/pistol/shotgun class from them before MagPul Dynamics (Heresy! Stone him!), but that's me. I also believe that they have the finest scenario based force-on-force program available to civvies out there.

Be aware, James Yeager (owner) is a bit of a character, and has a reputation for doing/saying stupid stuff. I liked him just fine when I met him (nice guy), and he'll be the first person to tell you that he does/says stupid stuff sometimes. If the idea of the head guy being human bothers you, I'd look elsewhere (or find a course taught by former instructors). Some of the latter have started their own schools, but teach in essence the same course - see "insider industry information" above.

Hope that helps point you in the right direction.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:47 pm 
Field Grade

Back in early October, I took a defensive shotgun training course at Second Amendment Sports in Bakersfield, CA. Even though I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, the course was highly recommended to me by an old friend of mine who lives in Bakersfield, and it was certainly worth the 5 hour drive. If you go to the web site, click on the "Services" link at the top right of the home page, then click on "Firearms Training" in the list. Scroll down to see all the courses they offer. The class I took was Shotgun I. I'm taking my wife down next week for the same course so we can be "on the same page" as regards our home defense strategies. I intend to take the next level class in 2012.

If anyone is looking for training in the Bakersfield area, you can't go wrong with Second Amendment Sports. I don't get anything for it, just a very satisfied customer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just moved to Baltimore. Does anyone have an opinion on which is best?
http://www.lethalweaponstraining.com/
http://www.philadelphiafirearmstraining.com/
http://www.fireinstitute.org/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:49 pm 
Utility Grade

I've been wanting to take a shotgun/carbine class for quite a while now, can anybody recommend anything coming up in the SanAntonio or Austin Tx area?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:29 pm 
Field Grade

If anyone is in the Atlanta area check out Stoddards guns/range there two guys Tim and Gary teach a great H.D. Shotgun class

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi All....My first post, but I've spent a few hours reading and learning from you folks. Great Forums here!!!

Any recommendations for the southern New Mexico (Las Cruces) area?

I'm a total noob, still doing a lot of web reading and visiting shops. I feel like I might be doing it backwards, cause I haven't decided on what to buy yet, but I'm looking for training. I've shot a couple of rifles years ago, but never a shotgun, so I'm not sure how to decide what gun to choose.

Besides use and safety, do schools show things like cleaning/maintenance, or is that something that there's plenty of on utube?

As a 56-year-old, 5'10 180 lb. guy, I'm not sure I want to be dealing with a bruised shoulder after every time I go to the range. I don't heal as fast as I did in my 20s, so I'm concerned about something having so much of a kick that I don't enjoy the practice....and my reason for starting is for HD mixed in with what I think would be fun in target shooting.

In my $500 budget, I read lots of good things about the Mossberg 500 or 590 and the Remington 870. But (thinking about lower recoil) am I better off with a semi for a few bucks more, like the MB 930? The 930HS starts at about $460 for a 4+1 with a bead sight, but another $100 buys the 930SX with 7+1 and a ghost ring.

For that matter, the 930 alone has about seven configurations, seen here: http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=32&display=specs

Do schools sometimes have guns that they'll let you try out....so I can get an idea of what would work best for me, like 12 ga vs 20 ga, pump vs semi?

Like most of us, I hate to be in that "Damn, I wish I spent a few bucks more and bought a _______" after I become more familiar with things.

So....your thoughts on schools/SG choices?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:43 pm 
Utility Grade

If you live in Northern California, I highly recommend Gray Ops at http://gofast1.com/ for handgun, carbine, and shotgun training. I took their Tactical Shotgun course this past weekend at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center, shortly after purchasing a Remington 870 Express ( I had no previous experience with a shotgun). Gordon Gray and Patrick Deasy did an excellent job both in classroom material and live firing on the range. I walked in as a total newbie and felt much more confident about home defense walking out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:04 pm 
Utility Grade

This is my first post and I am starting out with a question. Also have another first. Just bought my first shotgun which is a tactical. Looking for where I can learn how to take care of it and use it correctly and safely in my area of northwest Arkansas. Yup, that's right, northwest Arkansas. Nope, I'm not a native but close to it. The major towns around here are Bentonville, Rogers, Bella Vista, Springdale and Fayetteville.

Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:42 pm 
Utility Grade

I attended Rob Haughts Two Day Tactical Shotgun class back in October. For those that don't know Rob is a well established "agency" trainer and LEO from West Virginia.
It was made clear from the beginning that the course was not a shotgun tactics course but would focus on the proper mechanics of Rob's push/pull style of recoil control.

The course was $400 for both days and I felt like I got my moneys worth in the first four hours. I was able to accurately fire nearly 600 rounds in two days with no shoulder discomfort or bruising. My target engagement time was cut in half as was my average reload time.

Once the basics of recoil control are understood Rob builds on basic weapons handling skills one drill at a time in a very well thought out and proven progression. It was a very enjoyable and enlightening course.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:23 pm 
Utility Grade

i'm trying to find a training outfit that has shotgun courses in driving distance of philadelphia or northern va (i have family there).

i've found a few here and there but almost all of em that list shotgun courses don't have them on the schedule. Is tactical response all the way over in Tn my best bet?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next