It is currently Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tactical/Home defense Course Questions and Reviews.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:24 pm 
Utility Grade

Their Fighting Shotgun course is top notch. It's 4.5 hours from me and I make the drive for classes they're when I can.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a question that hasn't been gone over in the trainings i have been through. I have a pistol grip on my HD shotgun. In the military I was taught, when firing a pistol, grip it a tightly as possible to reduce the recoil, and to bring better accuracy. Does this hold true on a shotgun with a pistol grip?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:34 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Pistol grip only (on the rear, instead of a stock), or PG with a stock?

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response
Embrace your wear marks. - 870Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:42 am 
Tournament Grade

with stock, i don't care much for the pistol grip only.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Short answer: Best practice for recoil mitigation, push/pull technique as taught by Rob Haught, not too far from you.

Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool, or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool. - Tactical Response

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

FMD wrote:
Short answer: Best practice for recoil mitigation, push/pull technique as taught by Rob Haught, not too far from you.

thank you

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:32 am 
Field Grade

When not carrying a pistol,
Just a shotgun .
Is a sling of any kind necessary ?

Thanks
Nick

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:01 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Short answer: Yes.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:00 am 
Field Grade

Which kind you suggest ?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Anything but a three-point on a pump. Simple two-points, "Tactical" two-points, and single points all have a place at the table, with benefits and drawbacks.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:58 pm 
Field Grade

Hi, any recommendations for a basic shotgun course close to houston, tx? Want to take the wife so she can build more confidence learning alongside me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:47 am 
Field Grade

Last month (JUN 13) I asked NRA HQ about a course for the shotgun in HD. They said that they were working on a new training module for the HD shotgunner, as they do for the handgunner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:52 am 
Field Grade

Hello all ! Time for an update ! I reconfigured my 870 express into my primary HD weapon over the winter re: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=320640
My 870 accompanied me to my first formal class.
The class was tactical shotgun 1. Hosted by timms training out of Baxter mn.
The course was conducted by yavaphai firearms academy out of Prescott Arizona. Lead instructor LOUIS AWERBUCK.
What to say ? Well I was one of two civilians with the rest of the class (including the hosts David Timm and Mike davis ) Leo's. I was also the most inexperienced of the class. A newbie to almost everything that was taught. Almost everybody else had been exposed to tactical training except me. However I never felt like I was looked down upon for my lack of previous training, for which I feel blessed, as I held up the class a few notable times much to my chagrin ! However I wasn't the only one that ran into problems with their respective weapons, I just ran head on into my phobia of being the center of attention :'(
But anyway the class was outstanding and I learned so much that I am still trying to digest all that I learned and i had so much feedback on what works for me and more importantly what didn't and what I need to practice on to become much more proficient with my 870.
Some of the things I learned: install your forearm TIGHT. Mine was loose by the end of the 1st day and Louis broke my weapon down in front of the class against my feeble protests that I could do it over on the sideline . He tightened it down and showed us the proper way to set it up. Lesson learned !
I also had a couple more failures
One when I got off the shooting line and one of my classmates handed me my light which I had never locktited the screws down on.
The other was my mesa tactical 6shot shell holder screws became loose,again because of the lack of locktite. I had managed to hold that on by finger tightening between courses of fire. kudus to Mesa for having a backing on it.
All in all I can say I learned a lot about my weapon, my inexperience, and what I need to do to operate my weapon much more effectively in the future !
My next training venture I hope to be much more prepared. It was an outstanding class and worth the investment with quality instruction and excellent hosts.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:18 pm 
Field Grade

Anyone know of a good beginner and home defense shotgun course in Maryland, Northern VA, or DC?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Stumping my local instructor's on-the-road classes. Beware, he's an ex-cop and, while he's repeatedly been counseled, will NEVER win "Miss Congenialty" but will keep your a$$ vertical:

Rangemaster Courses at East Texas Rifle & Pistol Club,
Longview, Texas taught by Tom Givens and Rangemaster staff

Advanced Pistol Skills, One-Day, Sept 21, 2013, Saturday, 9am-6pm

This course is an excellent tune-up for those with prior formal handgun training. Take your skills to the next level with drills designed to hone and refine your gunhandling and marksmanship techniques. Topics include:

• Rapid presentation from the holster
• Fast, reliable reloading technique
• High speed accuracy at close ranges
• Precision shooting at mid-ranges
• Stress management
• And more.

Students will need about 400 rounds of ammunition.

Tuition is $250.00.

Defensive Shotgun , One Day, Sept 22, 2013, Sunday, 9am-6pm

Many people keep a shotgun at home or in their business. Learn how to handle the most potent home defense weapon properly for self-defense. This course includes topics such as:

* Shotgun Selection
* Types & Operation
* Loading Techniques
* Modifications and accessories
* Ammunition Selection
* Shooting Techniques

You will need about 125 rounds of birdshot (#6,7 ½ or 8) and 40 rounds of buckshot.

Tuition: $250

Special Offer: Register for both courses for $450.00, a $50.00 discount!

Contact East Texas Rifle & Pistol Club to register, or James Sterling at
sterlingranch@suddenlink.net

research Tom's credentials: http://www.rangemaster.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:33 pm 
Field Grade

Any courses around Kansas City ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:55 am 
Field Grade

Hi Guys

Just wondering what sorts of things get covered in a Tactical Home Defense class ?

I am from New Zealand ,we keep firearms for hunting, if you mentioned that you kept guns for home defense, you might well expect a visit from 5 O :oops:

I guess we are lucky, we have a much smaller population, but still a hi percentage of gangs and crack heads, we get a murder or two each 2 - 3 weeks, but usually gang, drug or sexually motivated.

I kind of think about it every now and then, what would I do if faced with an intruder, how would I handle it, the other thing in NZ is that it is illegal to use excessive or deadly force, so That kind of clouds the issue.

Is it really bad in the US, must keep you on edge knowing you might be faced with that scenario.

Please excuse my ignorance, but it's hard to imagine that many bogie men out there, and that you actually have a constitutional right to take a life if yours is threatend.

We have it arse about face here, as the crim has more rights than the victim, and if the victim fights back and wins, the crim becomes the victim.

Benelli Supernova Tactical
Mossberg 930 SPX
Berretta A400 Extreme
Sako A7 7mm-08
Tikka Super Varmint .223
Ruger 10.22
FX Independence .22
Mathews Mission Craze

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:22 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

*slightly off-topic*

QuackerBasher wrote:
...Is it really bad in the US, must keep you on edge knowing you might be faced with that scenario.

Please excuse my ignorance, but it's hard to imagine that many bogie men out there, and that you actually have a constitutional right to take a life if yours is threatend.

We have it arse about face here, as the crim has more rights than the victim, and if the victim fights back and wins, the crim becomes the victim.

Brother, there is a huge cultural difference between America and Oceania, despite our common British origins. It's difficult to describe to a non-native (I have friends from Oz that visit, and Lord knows I've tried), but suffice it to say that there are a few points to consider:

America has always, throughout its history, been violent. We were more violent than Britain when we were a colony, we were violent in throwing off the chains of the Monarchical system with our war for independence, and we've continued to be violent (both politically and privately) ever since. It's part of our makeup - for good and bad.

Crime is not *that* bad outside of some fairly centralized locations (high population density, extreme poverty, with insular racial, social, and cultural communities). With that said, there is some bleed-over into the areas where one doesn't expect it. It is the fear of/preparation for those encounters that typically drives the self-preservation mindset that you will find here.

We, as a country, were founded on Liberal (note to my fellow Americans - that word doesn't mean what you think it means) principles based in the Enlightenment era. The biggest difference between our former colony and yours, Australia's and even our Canadian cousins to the north is that our Founders codified the rules and principles of liberty and made them inviolate - or tried hard to do so. When in doubt, we *still* err on the side of freedom, and defer to British Common Law of the 18th Century (Blackstone's Law is part and parcel to our understanding of how citizens are to act lawfully). The rights of Life, Liberty and Property are seen as sacred, and our laws tend to reflect that (in general - one of the other beautiful things our Founders did was decentralize government to the point that there is some wide geographical variation among specific facets of the law).

There are a few million other points to consider, but they are best discussed over a pint. ;)

Hopefully the above does a little bit to explain our American mindset. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

QuackerBasher wrote:
Just wondering what sorts of things get covered in a Tactical Home Defense class ?
http://www.rangemaster.com/training/specialty-classes/defensive-shotgun/
And more advanced classes even take place in shoot-houses.

And, as an ex-pat Canadian and living long time in The South, I have to give FMD absolute props for his insightful assessment/answer.
For many reasons and circumstances, many of us have decided not to be "Grass Eaters"...
That doesn't make us paranoids or zealots, but just modern realists.
Most of us aren't looking for a fight but a man has responsibilities.
God Bless America and her freedoms.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Im getting ready for Tactical Responses Fighting Shotgun course. Im including a link to the course description. If that is a bad thing here, mods, please just delete it. http://www.tacticalresponse.com/course.php?courseID=15

That course requires (among other things), 600 rounds of birdshot. I think I have finally figured out what specific ammo to shoot without ending up leaving 600 good hulls behind.

I have not taken that particular course before, but have taken Fighting Pistol from them, and they get top marks from me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next