It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: How to legally build a Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just an update on the 41P business. It appears that it is going to happen in 2016. It has been published in the 12/15/15 Federal Register here. Relevant text reproduced below.

Quote:
ATF issues regulations to enforce the Federal laws relating to the manufacture and commerce of firearms and explosives. ATF's mission and regulations are designed to, among other objectives, curb illegal traffic in, and criminal use of, firearms and explosives, and to assist State, local, and other Federal law enforcement agencies in reducing crime and violence. The Department is planning to finalize a proposed rule to amend ATF's regulations regarding the making or transferring of a firearm under the National Firearms Act. As proposed, this rule would (1) add a definition for the term “responsible person”; (2) require each responsible person of a corporation, trust or legal entity to complete a specified form, and to submit photographs and fingerprints; and (3) modify the requirements regarding the certificate of the chief law enforcement officer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It appears that his will be implemented, roughly, 180 days from now. Details on the new requirements can be found in this PDF document. The implemented version differs from the original, particularly that the CLEO certification is being replaced by notification.

Last edited by Plain on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

What does all that mean???

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DOGMANN wrote:
What does all that mean???

Good question. Many folks are still sifting through all of it. There is a lot of analysis and conjecture going on now. From what I've read from the document and reliable sources, some of the highlights are:

♦ The CLEO certification is going away for everyone. This was a bar for a lot of folks getting into NFA and one of a number of reasons why some went the Trust route.
♦ The CLEO has to be notified with copies of the materials (Form 1, et al.) being sent or delivered to them instead.
♦ Trusts now have to do a bit more leg work when filing an ATF Form 1 or 4. These include fingerprint cards, photographs, etc. for anyone who is a "responsible person" on the Trust. From what I've read, this is anyone listed as a Trustee, but it would not include Beneficiaries.
♦ The eForms system may be going away for those of us with a trust. While it is possible to collect fingerprints and pictures via a web-interface, the document states that the ATF doesn't have the capabilities at the present to handle the fingerprint part.
♦ This will take effect 180 days after it is published in the Federal Register. Approved Form 1s and 4s are not impacted. Forms currently in a "pending" status are also grandfathered in. Everything received after the 180 days, however, will require the new materials.

Hope that helps. {hs#

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:34 am 
Tournament Grade

Any updates?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One update is that it has been published in the Federal Register here.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:53 am 
Utility Grade

In Canada, I'm not sure if someone did this one yet, but in order to have a short barrel shotgun, you need to have a short barrel manufactured to its short length, In Canada, nobody, not even a certified gunsmith can shorten a regular size barrel. I know, makes no sense to me either. If you have a regular length barrel, the shortest you can cut it to is 18.5 inches. Any shorter and it has to have been manufactured to that length. Apparently the RCMP have ways of finding out if it's sawed off or originally shortened.

Second of all, if the overall length by then is at least 26 inches, great. It's non restricted and you can fire it wherever it's safe/necessary to do so. If it's smaller, no problem, but it has to be registered as a restricted firearm and you can only fire it on an approved range and only transport it to 1) a gun store, 2) a gunsmith, and 3) to sell to another licensed person.

If it's a semi auto, then it has to be both 26 inches or longer, and the barrel must be at least 18.5 inches or else it will be classified as restricted. Semi auto rimfires simply follow the same regulations as repeaters and single shots.

Not sure how many Canadians are on here but since some gun owners don't know too much about SBS and SBR laws, figured I'd post this.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Another Canadian here, and one who's taken advantage of our screwed up SBR/SBS laws. I have a Rossi Ranch Hand that I made extremely useful, and user friendly, by adding a Boyds model 92 full stock. It's truly the best brush gun I've ever owned; nothing to get snagged or hung up on anything, light, short (29in OAL), quick and intuitive to get into play and lots of punch when you need it. Overall barrel length; 12in.

The SBS is looked after by an Adler A-100 in 12ga. This is the short cousin of the gun that caused such a stir in Australia last year. A very nicely made Turkish lever action, not quite as short (this one is 34in. OAL) or as light as the Rossi, but the 12ga. is a big step up in punch, especially being in bear country. With the Rossi, it would need to be life or death before I'd go out of my way to tangle with a 600 pound grizzly; with the Adler not so much. I'm not going to go out LOOKING for them, regardless of which gun is in my hand, but it's comforting to know that if necessary, the gun in my hand will put down whatever is threatening.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:31 pm 
Utility Grade

I was hoping this would be instructions on how to build one. Does anyone have experience with that? My main resource for guns where I am is https://kiehberg.in/shooting.html and I am feeling a little lost.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:52 pm 
Crown Grade

gunnin4life wrote:
I was hoping this would be instructions on how to build one. Does anyone have experience with that? My main resource for guns where I am is https://kiehberg.in/shooting.html and I am feeling a little lost.

I normally use a hacksaw to cut the barrel, a lathe to clean up the cut chamfer the od and id of the barrel, a bridgeport milling machine to drill and tap for the front sight. I ve seen good jobs done with a hacksaw and a flat file.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21