ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your HD plan and tactics?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

So you have your shotgun by the bed stoked with your favorite load and your wife is ready to call the police. But what other plans have you made to defend your home and what preparations have you taken to lessen the chances of having to?

Post subject: Re: Your HD plan and tactics?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

Why do you want to know this, should we be concerned? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

After 48 hours the silence is defining.

Does anyone here have any idea of what to do beyond grabbing the bedside shotgun?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

100 views so far and NO-ONE has any thing to contribute?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:23 pm 
Crown Grade

I do not keep a "bedside shotgun".

My EDC artillery piece is immediately available, lately that is a 4 1/2" full-size steel 9mmP (it was getting jealous the .45's were being carried for so long).

Last night, I got home from work about 0045hrs, I did a few things, crawled into bed about 0130hrs.
About 0215 the doorbell rang, and 60 pounds of pitoxer (she's a sweetheart) exited the 8-yr-old's bed at a run, snarling and barking the whole way to her powered dog door, which is immediately left-shin to the front door (only place we could put it that wasn't 2 full feet above the ground).

While she was clearly offering to eat whomever likely shat themselves getting off my porch (brightly lighted, both the front yard floods and the porch light are motion sensored), and Holly never left her dog door (she really dislikes strangers and really seems to hate the doorbell or the smoke alarm), I pulled on some pajama pants, stuck the 9 in a pocket (well, half-in) at hand, and took a look out the door top windows.

The doorbell ringer was about 15 feet out at the edge of the front walkway cement, and we had a nice but un-productive (from his angle) conversation from my doorway of the folly of driving a camaro down the dirt country road (unimproved) immediately East of my house after Mother Nature had spent Wed, Thurs, and Friday (that very day before), raining on it (to the tune of 3 1/2 inches), I had no 4x4 truck with sufficient cleats to be of any help, I did not possess a tractor, no the neighbors West of me do not either I am certain.

He left, Holly and I went back to our respective beds.

Not the first time such an event has happened, but the last was maybe a decade ago, maybe longer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:16 am 
Crown Grade

6 foot chain link fence, alarm system and four dogs between 60 and 100 lbs keeps most problems away. I do investigate any and all nosies we hear with 870 fitted with flashlight and filled with 7 rds of Hornday TAP 00 buck. I have lived in the same house for 30 years and i can find my way around in total darkness if the battery backup night lights go out. There is nowhere in the house anyone could hide that i don't know about or the dogs can’t find.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:00 am 
Crown Grade

A good dog, perimeter motion-activated lighting; good locks on the doors and windows; thorny bushes under all windows, I placed pea gravel walkways around the house (try and walk quietly on that, you can't)
HD is not just grab the gun; it is a multi-layered approach where the gun is the LAST resort. If it comes down to the last resort, you and yours are locked in a safe room, behind some form of barricade like a bed, muzzle of whatever you have pointed at the door while calling 911. There's no playing SWAT and clearing or chasing after them. Things can be replaced and should be covered by insurance.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Excellent posts! Especially the last one which is a text book example of layering defenses and laying in wait. But there are other layers of home defense that no one has mentioned yet.

The outer most layer is your reputation. What people say about you. Now by reputation I don't mean that that you are a fine upstanding Christian, but rather what people might say that could make your home an inviting target. For example I know this one idiot who always carries a big roll of cash in his pocket. He always makes a big show of pulling it out and no matter how small his purchase he peels off a hundred dollar bill to pay for it. I would bet my left nut that there are only a few hundreds on top and the rest of the roll is a bunch of ones. He is obviously trying to impress people and one of them may be so impressed that they knock him in the head. Something that we all can relate to as gun owners is that some of us probably have a valuable collections and many of us have a gun safe. This sort of thing should remain a secret. What people say about you and your home can be directly influenced by the second layer:

What you show and tell. Keep your mouth shut and your valuables out of sight. Have a gun safe? Is it the centerpiece of your den? Can it be seen from an exterior window? Can it be seen by visitors and service people or is it concealed in a closet? Are you so proud of your new safe that you posted a picture of it on Face Book? Remember, it is not your brother-in-law who is going to get up a gang of thugs and break into your house, it is the miscreant who over hears him bragging about his in-laws extensive gun collection. You may trust the maid but do you trust her daughters crack head boyfriend who might overhear something? While we are on the subject of guns as valuables, do you keep yours out of sight when you carry them to and from your car? A passer by who sees you with a nice AR in your hand might get an idea.

Another component of the show and tell layer is things that you intentionally do to make your place appear less than desirable for bad guys. Not only the usual things like exterior lighting and always keeping the garage door closed, but a "BEWARE OF DOG" sign that is visible from the road, a giant muddy pair of work boots on the porch to make it look like a big man is home.

Home invasions, as well as common burglaries, come in two categories, random and targeted. You can eliminate the targeted ones by not allowing information to get out that might make you a target. (And always pay your gambling debts and keep your hands off other men's wives.) You can just about eliminate the random home invasions by making your house just a little bit harder than your neighbors.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:08 pm 
Limited Edition

If you have not at least imagined a reasonably foreseeable what, when & how situation that might cause you to - eventually or conditionally - venture outside of the figurative safe space, then your plan is - perhaps - just maybe - a bit incomplete.

Those that plan to always hole up...what happens if/when the popo don't show...or your safe space gets torched...or someone you care about for whatever reason beyond your control isn't in the safe space...or your alarm zones, cameras &/or backup power go down...so when do you leave the hidey hole, and what do you do?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
what happens if/when the popo don't show

You call 911 and say shots fired;l they'll be there pronto

Quote:
or your alarm zones, cameras &/or backup power go down...so when do you leave the hidey hole, and what do you do?

Power goes out, I am definitely NOT going house clearing........

I am not a video game commando, nor do I play one on TV or stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

This thread is NOT about the total break down of society, anarchy or a zombie appocolips. Just a common sense approach to avoid dealing with armed criminals.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Making your house uninviting to criminals - good fence, large barking dogs will start. Preventing them from wanting to break in to your house in the first place is the key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
Making your house uninviting to criminals - good fence, large barking dogs will start. Preventing them from wanting to break in to your house in the first place is the key

The other side of the coin is not to show or tell anything that might make your home an inviting target.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Guns, Alarm, Dogs which is essentially all one can realistically do beyond training. I am confident that I can 'weather the storm' provided I am not 'flash-mobbed' by multiple perps which would make for an 'interesting time.'