ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to Post Pictures
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The easiest way to post photos is to use an online web album like Picasa (if you have a Gmail/Google account you already have this), Photobucket, etc. You can post photos from your MySpace or Facebook albums as well. Whichever service you use, once you can see the image online, skip to step 6.

To include an image in your post you can upload it to SGW Photos then paste a link to the image into your post. Here’s how:

Before uploading you should edit your photo a bit. If you don’t have Adobe Photoshop, Corel Paint Shop, or Photo Suite, etc., most digital cameras come bundled with some kind of basic photo-editing software – check the setup disc if you still have it.

1. Resize photos for easy viewing in your post (around 800 pixels wide and/or 600 pixels high) and to help make files smaller than 1 Mb.

2. Lower resolution to 72 pixels/inch (maximum resolution of the average monitor) to help make files smaller than 1 Mb. Some editing software will allow you to lower the "quality" setting a notch or two when saving (i.e. Photoshop) to further decrease image size.

3. I find it easiest to open two windows or tabs to post or reply to a post (just in case you need to go back and get more photos): the Photos page and the SWG Forums.

4. Upload the photo to the SGW Photos page. There are a few easy to follow steps.

5. Once uploaded open the picture in its full size by clicking on the image itself – a new window should open up with the full-sized image.

6. Right-click the image and select “Copy Image Location” (Firefox users) or "Copy Image URL" (Chrome users) or "Copy Image Address" (Safari users). IE users will have to select "Properties", then select and copy the URL in the window that pops up (Microsoft always has to do things the hard way :wink: thanks to Rastoff for the heads-up).

7. Paste the link where you want in your post.

8. Highlight the link and click the button labeled “Img”. It will now look something like this:

Code:
[img]http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/normal_Chuck-O_Connell-c1914.jpg[/img]

The photo will look like this:

Click the preview button to check if it worked. If you uploaded a fairly wide image, you may notice that SGW automatically resizes them so they more easily fit on everyone's screens. You can right click on the image in the thread and select "Open Image in New Tab" to see the original size.

Cheers,

David

Post subject: Re: How to Post Pictures
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:41 am 
Utility Grade

You should make this much easier. Definitely a pain.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm 
Presentation Grade

Now that Photobucket is gone what is the best way to post photos?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:56 pm 
Crown Grade

Upload them to the forum and post from there, as described above.

Or, if using the TapaTalk mobile device app to read/write messages on this and other forums, you can use it's simple click and add method. The app makes it as simple as it gets.

Sometimes I'll write my forum message using the web browser on my PC, then add the pics using my phone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Actually, nothing is different in how to post pictures. As stated above, right click on the photo after it has been posted online or on some hosting site. Then copy the address.

Then click on the "Img" box above your message box. This will put the double "Img" boxes into your post like this [img][img].

Then all you have to do is "paste" the photo address in between the two "img" brackets like this [img] photo address goes here [img].

After doing this, click on "Preview" below your message box to see what it will look like. If everything looks OK, then click on "Submit" to post your message with the photo in it.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

If I only had a brain! I guess I did OK for a guy that never even saw a PC before 2006, never cared.
And I know that 8-year-olds are smarter than I am but I do Ok with emails and taking photos.
I tried once or twice before to post pics and then some red message said the pics are too big.
Even though I have two very nice guns to offer, trying to simplify and post pics from files is a pain.
My solution to this problem is spending more time at my two clubs having fun than I do trying to figure out how to resize my photos I had no control over and manipulating my PC.
Unfortunately, I don't have accounts at places like Gunlist or others, I don't do that kind of sales.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is there some reason that a site with this many members can not have the photo uploads like so many other sites that just allow you to brows, click on a jpg file and stick it in line? Certainly much easier and a lot less steps. Would probably result in less follow up for people who list things for sale, but do not have the requisite photos attached.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:28 am 

rkittine wrote:
Is there some reason that a site with this many members can not have the photo uploads like so many other sites that just allow you to brows, click on a jpg file and stick it in line? Certainly much easier and a lot less steps. Would probably result in less follow up for people who list things for sale, but do not have the requisite photos attached.

Bob

Bob:
Apparently that would require an entire change of the forum software. I am under the impression that process was started over three years ago, but the forum ownership changed hands about a year later and the fellow that was in charge has left as has the fellow that was making the changeover.
There is a possibility that Carbon Media might accept a donation of the funds to accomplish this change, so why don't you chase them down and see if you can arrange that. I am sure that many users will appreciate your community involvement. That way you can have just what you want.
Until then, I suspect you better not hold your breath.
I know, but it is just so easy to spend money out of other folks wallet, just like Bernie would.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:33 am 

Scatergun71 wrote:
If I only had a brain! I guess I did OK for a guy that never even saw a PC before 2006, never cared.
And I know that 8-year-olds are smarter than I am but I do Ok with emails and taking photos.
I tried once or twice before to post pics and then some red message said the pics are too big.
Even though I have two very nice guns to offer, trying to simplify and post pics from files is a pain.
My solution to this problem is spending more time at my two clubs having fun than I do trying to figure out how to resize my photos I had no control over and manipulating my PC.
Unfortunately, I don't have accounts at places like Gunlist or others, I don't do that kind of sales.

There is no need to jump through a bunch of hoops to load pictures if you use IMGUR.com follow the instructions in the guide below complete with pictures.

Using IMGUR.COM to post photos on SGW

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:50 am 
Utility Grade

Now become it so easy to post a photo.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, I found a site called (Postimage) I know it works because I tried it out for a post on SGW. Maybe one or more of you guys can check it out.