It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun safes
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm looking at the basic Liberty gun safe with a capacity of 18. I'm looking to buy two.

Anyone have reasons to not go there ? Bad experience ? Seems $575 is going to be the price.

Centurion is the model.

I'm looking for basic long gun storage to keep them out of little ones reach. No handgun or ammunition storage needed.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Gun safes
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:09 pm 
Crown Grade

I have two myself, pretty happy with them.

I prefer the digital lock over the dial for ease and speed to get in. Light angle and brightness can make seeing the hash marks on the dial tough at times and there are times I miscount the number of times I turned the dial.

Most definitely, get the low temp seals for the door. The normal seals do not expand to seal the door gap until temps reach a significant temperature. This allows various gases and soot into the safe which can damage your guns. The low temp gaskets seal up much sooner and greatly limit potential damage to the items inside.

That is all I can think of off hand. Hope it is of some help.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:24 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks, I'll check into the gaskets. Never knew there was difference.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:08 pm 
Crown Grade

I didn't know either until I read an article about it in one of the gun rags. I'm guessing the manufacturers are using the lows temp gaskets in their current models, or at least on the better lines I retrofitted my safes as they were much earlier than the article and I have enough stuff to make it a concern to me. I bought the new gaskets from a guy selling safes at a gun show. He had been sent the gaskets in a sample pack but thought they were for repairs. I was able to clear that up for him so he ordered me gaskets to fit all my safes.

As a safe may sit around for a few years before it sells, the possibility of getting an older safe is a possibility. May as well get the latest features if at all possible.

Another thing to consider, get ab safe twice as big as you thought. First off, the safes do not hold as many guns as claimed and even more so if any are scoped. One can usually get the best fit staggering the guns every other space except the front row where you can go every space if the guns go muzzle down.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:57 am 
Presentation Grade

I'll second the bigger than you think comment. Before you know it you'll have important documents, CD's of family photo's, and all kinds of other things you don't want to loose in a fire stored in half of it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The safest safe is one that nobody knows about. Some idiots are so proud of their new gun safe that they make it the centerpiece of their living room and in full view of the windows. Then they proudly show it off to whoever visits. Keep it out of sight and keep your mouth shut. Even a cheap safe is adequate against a random burglary if the thieves don't know that you have it because they will not come prepaired with the proper tools to open it. Remember, it is not your buddies who will break into your safe. It is the guy who overhears one of them talking about his friends extensive gun collection at the barber shop. Keep your safe and all your valuables a secret.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Farmer,
Go bigger AND buy two. Big as you can get/afford will end up too small.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:16 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I have a "gun ROOM" ! Now it sits mostly empty because I gave a bunch of my guns to my sons and grandsons . Still a few rounds of ammo in there !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:59 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ezra Smack wrote:
The safest safe is one that nobody knows about. Keep it out of sight and keep your mouth shut. Remember, it is not your buddies who will break into your safe. It is the guy who overhears one of them talking about his friends extensive gun collection at the barber shop. Keep your safe and all your valuables a secret.

Excellent advice!

Test all theories at their limits - Enrico Fermi
Happiness is a good steak, an excellent Malbec and blood glucose levels under 7.0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

I wanted to keep my guns out of the reach of others. I figured the best way is to not advertise where they are. A gun safe screams "I've got the owners valuable guns here". I borrowed this idea from my grandfather and modified it a bit. I got a piece of 12" PVC pipe long enough for my guns plus about 6". Then cut a hole in my basement big enough to accommodate the pipe. Then slide the pipe into the hole and dug the dirt out of the back of the hole pushing the pipe in as I went. Had to twist it a bit to get it all the way in. Cut a 12" cap down to the diameter of the pipe, glued the back end of the pipe and pushed this cap in to seal the back end, added some silicone caulking to be sure it was water tight. Then made a carriage that had some skateboard wheels on the bottom to hold the guns, slides out real easy. The cover on the basement side is an 1/8" steel plate that has 2 metric nuts welded over hole that go through the plate. In the pipe are two lugs that stick out from the side with strong Neo type magnets that hold the plate pretty tight. I screw in some bolts that push the plate away from the magnets to get it free. Without the right screws all you have is the blank plate that you can't get out by hand. The whole thing is blocked by an old ironing board that no one would steal. Holds 6 guns. You would have to have a hell of a fire to get much heat in there but I wasn't really considering a fire when I built it. My brother looked for my guns a long time before I moved the ironing board and then he couldn't get the plate out. I'm pretty sure they are safe there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

I wanted to keep my guns out of the reach of others. I figured the best way is to not advertise where they are. A gun safe screams "I've got the owners valuable guns here". I borrowed this idea from my grandfather and modified it a bit. I got a piece of 12" PVC pipe long enough for my guns plus about 6". Then cut a hole in my basement big enough to accommodate the pipe. Then slide the pipe into the hole and dug the dirt out of the back of the hole pushing the pipe in as I went. Had to twist it a bit to get it all the way in. Cut a 12" cap down to the diameter of the pipe, glued the back end of the pipe and pushed this cap in to seal the back end, added some silicone caulking to be sure it was water tight. Then made a carriage that had some skateboard wheels on the bottom to hold the guns, slides out real easy. The cover on the basement side is an 1/8" steel plate that has 2 metric nuts welded over hole that go through the plate. In the pipe are two lugs that stick out from the side with strong Neo type magnets that hold the plate pretty tight. I screw in some bolts that push the plate away from the magnets to get it free. Without the right screws all you have is the blank plate that you can't get out by hand. The whole thing is blocked by an old ironing board that no one would steal. Holds 6 guns. You would have to have a hell of a fire to get much heat in there but I wasn't really considering a fire when I built it. My brother looked for my guns a long time before I moved the ironing board and then he couldn't get the plate out. I'm pretty sure they are safe there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:55 pm 
Crown Grade

18 guns means about 12-15; half if you have guns with scopes or pistol grips (like ARs)

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I went the Gun Room route when building my house. No space issues and no Safe Rash.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

chrisyews wrote:

Wow, that's resourceful.

I can just imagine 75 years from now somebody saying "bet you can't guess what we found when we remodeled the basement."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I found a Civil War musket from the Ohio Militia when remodeling a house in Ohio a number of years back. It was hidden in the wall. In New York City on the property where I live, I had a tree takend down that had died. Probably 80 years old. It had grown around an iron fence on the property, which was not that weird. The building, a Church, was built in 1839 and converted to apartments in 1982, but when they chopped up the trunk, they found a rusted revolver that the tree had ground completely around.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

rkittine wrote:
I found a Civil War musket from the Ohio Militia when remodeling a house in Ohio a number of years back. It was hidden in the wall

A gunsmith friend spent years renovating an old house that used to be a vicarage. After he'd finished, he started work on the garden. There was a well near the kitchen so he had it cleaned out and in the bottom he discovered a 1900 vintage revolver! What it was doing down there nobody ever found out.......a murder weapon? Who knows?

My father used to buy old properties, renovate and sell them. One such property was an old thatched cottage reputed to be between 400 and 500 years old. During the restoration work the perfectly preserved remains of a domestic cat were found buried inside a cavity wall. Apparently years ago it was a common practice to entomb cats in buildings to ward off witches and evil spirits. It was spooky seeing the cat whatever the purpose. Here's a link to a similar story.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... ttage.html

Test all theories at their limits - Enrico Fermi
Happiness is a good steak, an excellent Malbec and blood glucose levels under 7.0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Back to safes: Your chances of having a house fire are at least as good as your chances of having a burglary and a good quality modern safe will protect your valuables in the event of a fire. On that note, I keep a large commercial fire extinguisher right beside my bed next to my shotgun. Again, the chances of a home fire are at least as good or probably better than the chances of a home invasion.

"Be prepared" is more than just the Boy Scout slogan.