It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Getting out of the way of Irma
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My son and his girlfriend were watching the coverage of the water sucked out of Tampa Bay by Irma. My son said he catches fish exactly where the reporters were taking pictures of an empty ocean.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/10/hu ... water.html

We still have the Nitro down there, and the kids have most of their stuff inside their apartment, not very far from Tampa Bay. His girlfriend's aunt has evacuated to Georgia, and the entire place is likely to not have electricity for awhile, and the National Guard is enforcing a curfew in Tampa.

After this blows over, by and by the kids will call their landlord or her aunt, and see if their apartment and the Nitro are still there, and we'll decide on how to get them back to Florida.

But I hope, they have had their fill of Florida for awhile. They say it's a beautiful place, but they don't have any hills or hollers, and no snow in the winter, and it's hot quite a bit and the humidity is terrible, and now there's this awful hurricane. They have jobs here in Missouri for young people with a good work ethic, and our tornadoes only wipe out a few small towns now and then, and not very often. The last one to hit the farm at Humansville was 2003, and it only blew over a few big oak trees in Spout Spring Hollow, and before that it was 1921, when my Daddy was two years old, and the tornado tore down the wooden silo they had beside the big red barn, but spared the barn. Not bad for the last 141 years, that we know of.

Tis' a privilege to live in the Ozarks, my old Grandma always said, and the more I read and hear about other places, the more I believe that's true.

I feel bad about folks in Florida having to deal with alligators, hot weather all year round, and hurricanes, but this is a big, free country where anybody can live anyplace they can afford to live.

Looks like over three million folks in Florida have lost electricity, and I'm only glad my kids aren't among them, that we know about.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:10 pm 
Crown Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
And to go with the hurricanes, the Floridians have alligators running around, and I'll bet the authorities frown on shooting one of the varmits.

They frown very much on it.

They frown so much that if one suddenly becomes "a nuisance" to you (say, it eats your dog, your leg, or your kid, or your wife, or your neighbor), either THE STATE or one of VERY FEW licensed "gator trappers" will come catch it (preferably alive) and move it someplace else. Don 't go killin' it yerself (unless it is actively gnawing your ankle at the moment).
A favorite place to move them to is an animal(gator) refuge on Sanibel Island.
People who live on the other end of the island feed them (sometimes by accident).

There is no annual licensed hunting of them like other southern states do which harvests the biggest/most aggressive ones out of the wild (which makes everyone safer). Gators start eating people around 6' in length.

8 states in the USA have Alligators living there.
29 people have been killed by gators in the US since they started keeping records in the 1970's.
1 happened in Georgia.
1 happened in S Carolina.
1 happened in Texas.
All the rest...........26.............. you can guess,,,, only 1 state.

Every once in a while though.. some miscreant Actively Evading the po-po feeds one trying to throw K9's off by swimming across a pond in the dark, so there is a bright side.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Fl has a great gator hunting season and some monsters are taken every year.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
There is no annual licensed hunting of them like other southern states do which harvests the biggest/most aggressive ones out of the wild (which makes everyone safer).

It took me less than 15 seconds to find out, right from the source, that you're wrong: http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/manag ... r/harvest/

Why on earth couldn't you check before blurting that out? Taking internet posting lessons from SX1?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Way off topic but surprising there has been no alligator related fatalities in Louisiana.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

From what I hear the motels as far north as Memphis are booked up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 pm 
Crown Grade

mil_dot wrote:
OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
There is no annual licensed hunting of them like other southern states do which harvests the biggest/most aggressive ones out of the wild (which makes everyone safer).

It took me less than 15 seconds to find out, right from the source, that you're wrong: http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/manag ... r/harvest/

Why on earth couldn't you check before blurting that out? Taking internet posting lessons from SX1?

To get SOMEONE (other than myself) to look up SOMETHING on the internet, SOMEPLACE (and to insure my continuing reputation for fallibility survives). {hs#

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

duckqwacker wrote:
Way off topic but surprising there has been no alligator related fatalities in Louisiana.

It's because the gators are afraid of "Swamp People".

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:11 am 
Tournament Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
mil_dot wrote:
OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:

To get SOMEONE (other than myself) to look up SOMETHING on the internet, SOMEPLACE (and to insure my continuing reputation for fallibility survives). {hs#

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:42 pm 
Limited Edition

While I have sympathy for the hurricane victims, about five years ago GA and ATL faced a serious drought with only several months water supply available and the state of Florida got a court order forcing GA to empty its largest reservoir to keep Florida mollusks viable during the drought. Florida was no friend to GA or ATL citizens during our time of need. When I get the chance I'll make a fifty buck donation to the Florida relief efforts but the water war still irks. Florida was quite happy to let Atlanta go dry to save their precious mollusks. With friends like that, who needs enemies?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

LoFlyer wrote:
Florida got a court order forcing GA to empty its largest reservoir to keep Florida mollusks viable during the drought.

I wonder if one day we will have a governor with enough balls will defy the feds when they overstep the bounds of the 10th Amendment and say, in similar circumstances,: not only do I order state employees to not comply, I will order the arrest and imprisonment of anyone who tries to enforce an unconstitutional writ or who obeys such against my orders.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:46 pm 
Crown Grade

There are water contracts that get enforced. Perhaps Atlanta needs to factor development growth with water availability. You want messed up, try the Western water wars between NV and CA or the fight over the Colorado river water so L.A. where folks who live on the Colorado river in Colorado aren't allowed any of the water. Mr Mulholland was a gangster.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

oneounceload wrote:
There are water contracts that get enforced.
It's the enforcement part that I was talking about. Like "I dare anyone to enforce it" from the state government on the losing end, and backing up the threat with force if need be.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:05 am 
Crown Grade

SuperXOne wrote:
There are going to be a lot of people die over this.

Not 12-dozen, or 1,200, or 12,000

Is "12" "a lot"?

8, out of the entire state of Florida,,, how many people total?

I have it on good authority that at least 70% of those 12 were not killed in the LAST Hurricane they sat through.

The hurricane didn't kill 12 though...........................
At least four people died as a result of traffic accidents on Florida roads soaked by Irma.

Soaked by Irma,, or any other rain storm that wets roads in Florida every day or 2........

No-one has car wrecks unless a named hurricane rolls through though,,,, do they..........

Florida gets some 3,000 traffic accident with deaths every year.
That's 8 A DAY.
Looks like a 3 or 4 day hurricane may have SAVED 10-20 lives or so..................................
https://firesportal.com/Pages/Public/QuickStats.aspx

In Miami-Dade County, a man died of carbon monoxide poisoning from his generator. This can happen if generators are used inside without proper ventilation.

That.............. is a dumb-butt.
Guy I went to High School with, Andrew (last name omitted to protect the stupid), committed the same dumb*** move, 1989, S-Central Ks, after a mere thunderstorm took out his power.
College Gradeate............ you'da thunk he'd be smarter than to run his generator in his basement and go back to bed.
You'd been wrong to thunk that.

Georgia loses 3, 2 from trees falling on people.................................
The Forsyth County Sheriff's Office says on its website that a woman died from injuries she suffered when a tree fell on a vehicle in a private driveway.

The storm is also being blamed for the death of a man in his 50s who was killed when a tree fell on his house just north of Atlanta and for the death of a 62-year-old man in rural southwest Georgia who had a heart attack after he climbed onto a shed during heavy winds on Monday.

So............... really........................ the storm gets credit because the old guy's ticker quit from overexertion.
That's about the same as blaming the NYPD for the obese guy with a bad heart who decided to wrestle what, 5 or 6 cops, and vapor-locked up in the middle of it. Somehow, it's the cops that killed him,, not his own "unwise" decision-making process..............

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

That's SX1 for you. Like most democrats, the concept of personal responsibility is alien to him. It always has to be someone else's fault and it always needs government intervention to get fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:24 pm 
Crown Grade

Dealman wrote:
duckqwacker wrote:

It's because the gators are afraid of "Swamp People".

To a certain extent, the above is true.

Gators do not typically see human beings, Adults, we 5-footers and up, as "food" until they get around 6 feet in length.

Sure, smaller ones, 3, 4, 5 feet go after children, dogs, the things that are what the gator considers "appropriate size for me".

Florida allows 12,000 gators a year to be taken, by random drawings for 6,000 permits.
There is no fee to apply for a permit, but each person awarded a permit must pay for an alligator trapping license and hide validation tags totaling $272 for residents and $1,022 for nonresidents.

In Louisiana, a license is $25 for residents, $150 for non-residents.
Tags cost nothing.
Louisiana’s wild and farm alligator harvests currently exceed 300,000 animals annually, while the population level (based on aerial nest surveys) remains stable.

Louisiana has nearly 2 million gators.
Florida, has roughly 1.25 million gators.

La, annually harvests 15% of it's gators, the biggest ones that can be caught are the goal.
Fl. annually harvest LESS THAN 1% of it's gators, again, hunters want the big ones.

There are ALWAYS hunted animals that are not successfully killed, that survive the season, and they are "educated" every year as to 'what is going on".
We who hunt the non-farmed variety of Mr. Ringneck know the difference all too well between early season birds hatched last spring and the old, smart ones that are all that is left in January.
Close a truck door or slam an autoloader bolt too hard, they launch from 1/4 mile away (and never fly TOWARD you).

15% harvest removes a LOT of the big, aggressive, man-eating gators and the rest become naturally wary of man.

a 0.96% harvest barely scratches the population, this removes 15 times FEWER big, aggressive, man-eating gators, so, with a bit more than half the population, there are some 9 or 10 TIMES as many deadly gators in Fl. as in Louisiana, and it does show.

The only reasonably "safe" water in Florida, has sharks in it.
At least in your in-ground pool,,, you can see what is in there (if you look before getting in).

Florida raises it's gators on Floridians (and tourists, and their children).
Louisiana tries NOT to feed it's locals to it's gators, but tries to feed it's locals Gator.

Thus the reason for the preponderance of gator attacks are in Florida, none Louisiana.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:31 am 
Crown Grade

Is this even remotely connected to hurricane Irma?

(Warning: To those that read my posts.)
I don't shoot registered targets so what could I possibly know or have to offer?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:45 pm 
Crown Grade

Jim Miller wrote:
Is this even remotely connected to hurricane Irma?

Flood waters caused by Irma will be full of gators, ESPECIALLY in Florida.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Gators are NOT the problem. Water moccasins yes, unsanitary water yes, looters stealing Nike yes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:51 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

For 5 years I lived at the North end of Lake George in Georgetown,Fla. Gators were an everyday nuisance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next