It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Armed man killed shooter at restaurant
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Highly doubtful that any plaintiff lawyer would spend his time and money pursuing a wrongful death action for the survivors of a man killed while shooting innocent people, and certainly not the kind of case which would garner a jury's sympathy.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:58 am 
Crown Grade

If the first thing your training instills in you is to think about the 'civil' suit implications of saving another person's life with your gun, you have no business carrying one.

All a civil suit can do is break you. The person you turn your back on has a hell of a lot more at stake than that.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Zbigniew wrote:
If the first thing your training instills in you is to think about the 'civil' suit implications of saving another person's life with your gun, you have no business carrying one.

All a civil suit can do is break you. The person you turn your back on has a hell of a lot more at stake than that.

Nope it wasnt the first thing in the training, the legal aspects and ramifications of carrying, displaying and firing it were the last things we covered. And the part that was stressed the most was your firearm is for personal and family protection, you are not the police.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Steve Y wrote:
Zbigniew wrote:

Nope it wasnt the first thing in the training, the legal aspects and ramifications of carrying, displaying and firing it were the last things we covered. And the part that was stressed the most was your firearm is for personal and family protection, you are not the police.

Steve

Yep, same for us. One instructor put it like this, you are not being licensed so you can be the "white knight". If you are in a situation where a gunman could, in fact, train the gun on you, then absolutely shoot. However, if you hear shooting two blocks away, don't go looking for the fight; you are not the police.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
Nope it wasnt the first thing in the training, the legal aspects and ramifications of carrying, displaying and firing it were the last things we covered.
What earthly difference does it make WHEN it was covered if it turns you into a coward, more worried about preserving your net worth than saving someone's life? Especially when there is ZERO chance you'll be sued by anybody if the shooting is justified?

-Securitization
Take your pick.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Zbigniew wrote:
Quote:
Nope it wasnt the first thing in the training, the legal aspects and ramifications of carrying, displaying and firing it were the last things we covered.
What earthly difference does it make WHEN it was covered if it turns you into a coward, more worried about preserving your net worth than saving someone's life? Especially when there is ZERO chance you'll be sued by anybody if the shooting is justified?

You know very little about the Civil Court system. It makes no difference if the shooting was justified. Just ask OJ. This person has left himself open to a lawsuit. Not because he shot the "bad guy", but because he left the building to get his firearm and returned to do it. Further more it does not matter where this happened, the person or group filing the suit as well as their lawyer can come from any state in the country.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

But some states much more likely than others

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:55 pm 
Crown Grade

Steve Y wrote:
Zbigniew wrote:
Quote:

You know very little about the Civil Court system. It makes no difference if the shooting was justified. Just ask OJ. This person has left himself open to a lawsuit. Not because he shot the "bad guy", but because he left the building to get his firearm and returned to do it. Further more it does not matter where this happened, the person or group filing the suit as well as their lawyer can come from any state in the country.

Steve

Nope.

Sorry, but, the one thing that person, or group has to have, is "standing".
They have to be able to be a directly "injured" party somehow, so they'd better be a CLOSE relative someplace.

Quote:
In law, standing or locus standi is the term for the ability of a party to demonstrate to the court sufficient connection to and harm from the law or action challenged to support that party's participation in the case. Standing exists from one of three causes:

1- The party is directly subject to an adverse effect by the statute or action in question, and the harm suffered will continue unless the court grants relief in the form of damages or a finding that the law either does not apply to the party or that the law is void or can be nullified. This is called the "something to lose" doctrine, in which the party has standing because they will be directly harmed by the conditions for which they are asking the court for relief.
2- The party is not directly harmed by the conditions by which they are petitioning the court for relief but asks for it because the harm involved has some reasonable relation to their situation, and the continued existence of the harm may affect others who might not be able to ask a court for relief. In the United States, this is the grounds for asking for a law to be struck down as violating the First Amendment, because while the plaintiff might not be directly affected, the law might so adversely affect others that one might never know what was not done or created by those who fear they would become subject to the law – the so-called "chilling effects" doctrine.
3- The party is granted automatic standing by act of law. Under some environmental laws in the United States, a party may sue someone causing pollution to certain waterways without a federal permit, even if the party suing is not harmed by the pollution being generated. The law allows them to receive attorney's fees if they substantially prevail in the action. In some U.S. states, a person who believes a book, film or other work of art is obscene may sue in their own name to have the work banned directly without having to ask a District Attorney to do so.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:59 pm 
Crown Grade

OJ murdered 2 people (one of them a woman he beat the s*** out of when she annoyed him), and managed to get a friendly jury who wouldn't have convicted him on a direct live confession.

Then he wrote a book "If I did it".

So, ask OJ what exactly?

The DA's failed to prove murder, the Civil court proved Wrongful Death responsibility.

OJ then committed kidnapping, live on video, and had a less worshipful jury.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Steve Y wrote:
Zbigniew wrote:
Quote:

Steve

And you must know even less about the law than I do.

If you think what OJ did was in ANY way a justifiable homicide, you are confused, to put it mildly.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Zbigniew wrote:

If you think what OJ did was in ANY way a justifiable homicide, you are confused, to put it mildly.

WHAT, how can you even say that??

OJ was found not guilty of murder but was sued in Civil court for wrongful death and lost is all I am saying.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:45 am 
Crown Grade

Steve Y wrote:
Zbigniew wrote:

OJ was found not guilty of murder but was sued in Civil court for wrongful death and lost is all I am saying.

Steve

Sorry, but for another correction,, OJ SPENT IT ALL paying his Dream Team lawyers to get him off the murder.
The day he was arrested, he was worth 11 million dollars.
When he was acquitted, he was supposedly broke.

No-one has collected hardly ANYTHING (as in The Goldmans) from the Wrongful Death victory, except a very nice and frameable piece of paper.
They BOUGHT the publishing rights to his book If I Did It, which was sold in bankrupcy court, and then the court ordered the Goldmans to publish the book.

Oh, and The Juice got to keep any money he made from autographs, his 25-grand monthly NFL pension was untouchable, and the house in LA was multi-mortgaged to pay his lawyers.
The Goldmans have collected less than 1% of the 40-million The juice owes them (with 20+ yrs interest added).

As of 4 yrs ago Simpson's Florida home was in forclosure.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:14 pm 
Crown Grade

OJ is still collecting his pension annuity, playing golf and living life

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Post subject: Armed man killed shooter at restaurant
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Armed customer thwarts restaurant robbery - Fox Newshttps://apple.news/Aho2NGMjZRd-P2SEsmKZgCQ

Wonder how this one will go down. It was a guy shooting out of his car through a drive through window or at least that’s how it sounds to me and in California.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
Steve Y wrote:
Zbigniew wrote:

Steve

Sorry, but for another correction,, OJ SPENT IT ALL paying his Dream Team lawyers to get him off the murder.
The day he was arrested, he was worth 11 million dollars.
When he was acquitted, he was supposedly broke.

How can you even assume that what I said I was referring to money?? He lost the civil judgement. Period. Not guilty for murder but guilty for wrongful death. That"s all I said, and thats 100% correct.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:56 pm 
Diamond Grade

his might help with that civil lawsuit thing.

Wyoming Gov. Matt Mead announced today that he will allow House Bill 168 to become law without his signature. The new Stand Your Ground measure strengthens Wyomingites’ fundamental right to self-defense anywhere they are legally allowed to be.

Once enacted, law-abiding citizens will no longer be required to retreat before defending themselves. The law also allows those facing civil lawsuits to first apply for a determination of the use of force. If the court finds the use of force to be justified, they can be awarded reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs, and other compensation incurred in defense of any related civil lawsuit.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180315/nra-backed-stand-your-ground-bill-becomes-law-in-wyoming

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:47 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hats off to your governor, chucka. That law is a good step toward eliminating frivolous lawsuits stemming from justified shootings. The threat of having to pay attorney fees, court costs and other defense expenses will make some of these bloodsuckers think twice before suing innocent people.