ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Firewood Poem
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:14 pm 

I spent a good part of the day yesterday cutting and splitting firewood. I recalled a poem that I saw many years ago in one of the outdoor magazines; I cut it out and saved it. Wouldn't you know, a simple search of the internet and here it is. Thought some of you might enjoy it.

Living in the mountain West, the hardwoods are just a rumor to me.

The Firewood Poem

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold

Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold
But ash green or ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter's cold
But ash wet or ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by.

The firewood poem was written by Celia Congreve, is believed to be first published in THE TIMES newspaper on March 2nd 1930.

Post subject: Re: The Firewood Poem
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Seems to be a bias toward Ash. Good for bats and bows. Oak is good. Pine is a joke, but you can heat a house with it if you have enough of it, and an airtight stove. Of course if you don’t keep the chimney clean you will get a whooping big chimney fire and probably burn the house down. Pine is probably better than buffalo chips.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Up here in the Pacific Northwest, we don't have ash. Alder is a popular firewood, but burns too fast for me. Douglas fir burns fairly hot, but leaves a pitch residue in the chimney. Dry maple burns long and fairly hot; it is also clean. Hemlock either smoulders or burns quick and leaves a bunch of ash (not the wood) behind, depending on how dry it is.

My preference is to start with a small amount of fir for a quick start, use some alder during the day and finish the evening and overnight with nice, dry maple. Fortunately, I have access to all three in quantity.

Romans 8:1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is also the old Boy Bcouts fire starting ryme to go with that:
First ya take some needles, dry as they can be.
Then ya find some squaw wood, dead but on the tree.
Then throw on a piney knot to make the kettle foam.
And there's a fire to make ya think you're asittin' right at home.
Around here we have Pinon Pine. A horrid wood that makes little heat and a bulky ash, burns fast and fouls a chimney quickly.Ponderosa pine, ok if well seasoned, but just ok. Two types of Juniper, aromatic, puts out good heat, burns fairly clean and leaves a moderate ash. Mountian Mahogony, a cousin to desert ironwood. Terrific stuff! but it is mostly small becuas it is also a favorite brouse of deer and cattle. Oak, that does all things well that oak does well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:16 pm 

Up here, I use primarily LPP. If you're careful in tree selection and avoid trees with lots of limbs, it's very easy to split. Obviously, it won't last like hardwood, but that's not available to me. I just make sure to build a hot fire a least once-a-week, and have the chimney swept once a year. The stoves are high quality and can be damped such that it's possible for there to still be embers by morning.

Post subject: The Firewood Poem
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If your only alternative is electric resistance, I can see wood, but fireplaces when gas is available strike me as dumb. Non-insert fireplaces are always dumb.

Am I wrong?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Most all open fireplaces are a zero sum game in the end. Modern air tight units are wonders however. Safe, economical and effecient. I have set our place up with as many redundent systems as I was able to. We use wood as our primary, and it does a splendid job. We have a forced air propane heater that is our secondary with three electrical base board heaters as back up. We use wood 90%+ of the time Propane 10%- of the time and we turn on the electric units once a year to check for function.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

nody wrote:
If your only alternative is electric resistance, I can see wood, but fireplaces when gas is available strike me as dumb. Non-insert fireplaces are always dumb.

Am I wrong?

There a lot more ways to heat with wood that a "fireplace."

Modern woodstoves (not fireplaces) are quite efficient and clean-burning (as long as you use properly seasoned wood). They can heat fairly large areas and many models also have electric fans to disperse the heat over a wider area.

There are efficient fireplace inserts as well. Google Heatilator.

Then, there are pellet stoves. They use wood pellets and have an electric feeder. While efficient, they suffer from a loss of feeding capability in a power outage. I have seen people feed them by hand in a pinch, but that's a PITA.

In addition, there are wood-fired furnaces. Yep...a big firebox and air circulation system just like a gas or oil furnace.

And, there are wood-fired water heaters as well; some commercial and some easily constructed.

So, don't just write off wood heat as coming from a "fireplace."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skeeter,
those pellet stoves can be real problems. I know people who got real cold because when the augar stopped, they didn't know what to do, so they got real cold! Turned the stove burners on, stuff like that. Also, the pellet stove sales people tout the fact that they will burn corn in a pinch. Well, they will, kinda. We had a pellet shortage here two years back and several people bought corn. Asode from costing about twice as much, it only burned halfway and mostly just clogged the stoves and made a mess.
You mentioned the capablities of modern wood stoves (I'll send Nioday a picture of ours ans maybe he'll put it up) We heat the whole of a 1800' house with it. We have run a duct with fan to the master bedroom. We seldom use it though

Post subject: Re: Re: The Firewood Poem
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

nody wrote:

Am I wrong?

Where wood really comes into its own is when you own or have access to land and can get the wood for free/cheap (or at least the cost of gas for the truck and saw).

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.----Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

nody if you ever get down my way,you can have all the firewood you feel like carrying home. Granted it's not split but you're welcome to get all you want. And its well seasoned

It's Oak and Hickory mainly.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

heelerman wrote:
Skeeter,
those pellet stoves can be real problems. I know people who got real cold because when the augar stopped, they didn't know what to do, so they got real cold! Turned the stove burners on, stuff like that. Also, the pellet stove sales people tout the fact that they will burn corn in a pinch. Well, they will, kinda. We had a pellet shortage here two years back and several people bought corn. Asode from costing about twice as much, it only burned halfway and mostly just clogged the stoves and made a mess.
You mentioned the capablities of modern wood stoves (I'll send Nioday a picture of ours ans maybe he'll put it up) We heat the whole of a 1800' house with it. We have run a duct with fan to the master bedroom. We seldom use it though

Exactly! And cutting all your wood into those teeny, tiny little pellets is a real chore too. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

:shock: That would be quite the little chore! Jake has it too. if you have to buy wood, you have to really start to pencil that out. in my case it is all coming right off the place so costs are minimal. and I get the twofer. "Wood warms you twice".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:49 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One thing the Ozarks has been blessed with is hardwood trees. Ash wood is by far and away the best for any fireplace or wood stove use.

Ash doesn't snap, crackle, or pop when it burns. It lasts a long time, and provides an even heat. Ash doesn't put nearly so much creosote in the flues. The only thing wrong with ash is cost. Seasoned ash demands a premium over all other firewood used for heating. Even if you cut your own wood, ash is not very plentiful, and ash trees get cut first thing.

Two of my renters heat their entire homes with new wood stoves, and their entire winter's heat bill consists of the small cost of cutting and splitting firewood. Our family and the renters and even some neighbors have cut firewood for over 135 years on our place, and you can't see where they have cut any at all but a stump now and then in the woods.

It's hard to freeze out an Ozarker with a wood stove.:)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wood heat is the best heat ever IMO. We always had a wood stove growing up. Here we have mostly hardwoods and we burn lots of oak and hickory.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:15 pm 

nody wrote:

Am I wrong?

If you're on a natural gas line, you are correct. Our home in western Colorado had a gas furnace and a Heatilator gas fireplace. It's a wonderful thing to come home and flick the switch to turn on the fireplace. I don't heat primarily with wood for any other reason than the fact that the supplemental electric heat is too expensive to be primary. I think Heeler would tell you that propane is too expensive as well.

Heating with wood is extremely time consuming and damned hard work, it seems like I handle each piece about half-a-dozen times. Still, splitting wood on a sunny, 20 degree, winter day is one of my favorite things in the world to do. I recall many days realizing that 3 1/2 hours had flown by and the wood rack in the garage was filled to 7' high. Great day

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

heelerman wrote:
(I'll send Nioday a picture of ours ans maybe he'll put it up)

That's one purdy HA HAcinenda! {hs# :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

Wood heat with a Blaze King can't be beat.

Back when I lived a little farther north it's all I used for heat,load it twice a day,clean out the ash once a month and the flu every fall.

http://www.blazeking.com/EN/wood-stoves.html

Maltz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:39 pm 

nody wrote:
heelerman wrote:
(I'll send Nioday a picture of ours ans maybe he'll put it up)

That's one purdy HA HAcinenda! {hs# :D

That's absolutely beautiful!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks T One of my many hats. All the lumber is native and off the place too. Walnut mantle and the frames arond the shelving. native oak corbles and mountian mahogony pegs. I'm proud of it.