Shotgun Forum banner

Should I get a portable air tank?

1K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Neanderthal 
#1 ·
I'm thinking it would be nice to have a small, cheap portable air tank. Not a compressor, just a tank I can pump up at a WaWa or at my local gun club. I would keep it around with pressure in it to use for low tire pressure warnings on the car, or blowing excess oil off a trigger group, etc

Something like this $30 one: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-gallon-p ... 65594.html

My buddy says they are dangerous - they will accumulate condensation, rust, and sooner or later blow up. What do you think?

I would want to put a quick-connect on it so I can use either a tire valve or a blower nozzle. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Why not tiny electric air pump (walmart, etc.) for about $10-20? No need to fill it. About the size of a sandwich. I have a 6' tall compressor, but often use the little one for just what you describe.
Mike B

#3 ·
Air compressor tanks do sometimes rust out and blow up. Probably because they are not maintained properly. They should be drained frequently. I just replaced my air compressor because it developed a leak (hole) in the tank and I got afraid of it. I used the old compressor for 25 years before it developed a hole.
Unless you need a portable air supply that does not require electricity, I would recommend one of the small pancake type compressors that can be had for not too much money. I have one and it has been handy for small jobs and is very portable if you have electricity available where you want to use it.

#4 ·
CTSCA Mike said:
Why not tiny electric air pump (walmart, etc.) for about $10-20? No need to fill it. About the size of a sandwich. I have a 6' tall compressor, but often use the little one for just what you describe.
Mike B
I keep one of these in each of my cars. I've had the portable bottle and it's almost useless. Buy a small cheap pancake compressor from Harbor Freight for other chores. Drain the air out of it when not in use so it doesn't rust.

#5 ·
Just get a small air pump. Way less bulky than a 5-7 gallon air tank.

#7 ·
You can, and do it in perfect safety, but why?
if you are working off a can, it is almost always to limited. Just buy a compressor. Harbor Freight has any number of models and cheap.
Hint : air powered tools are cheap, CHEEP!
For the shop I have an 80 gallon compressor.
For small stuff and job site. I have a Hitachi portable compressor.
Till twelve years ago I didn't have air, now I wonder how I got by without it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.