ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who's recenty quit smoking ?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Geese ...

So it's 4-months now w/o a cigarette (Maralbo light's), and I guess about a month w/o touching my e-cig.

Putting down the real cigs was surprisingly easy. The e-cig?, - well, not so much ...

I guess the key would have been if my brain had never been exposed to nicotine in the first place.

I thought it would get easier by now, but in some ways, it's gotten harder.

I no longer crave any of it at the normal times (morning, coffee, after dinner, etc. etc.).

But I get bouts of strong cravings at very "odd" and unexpected times.

Like driving home from work in my 1+ hour commute, but at 30 minutes into my commute, and in my Dodge Challenger (for which I have *never* smoked in).

Had I been in my truck, I would have proly had 2-3 (real) cigarettes by then.

But I *did* smoke the e-cig in the Challenger towards the end, so maybe that's what my brain is remembering?

But why on my way home from work like that ? Towards the end, I was smoking my e-cig in my office at work, and on my long walk thru the parking garage to get to the car, so I wouldn't have strong cravings 30-minutes into my commute like that.

I've even had dreams where I got to puff on my Mistic e-cig with 50% Black Note Forte e-juice, and 50% Legato e-juice.

Starting to think that maybe cold Turkey might have been the better approach. That way I wouldn't have all those e-cig thoughts in my head. I probably should have ended with real "nasty" tasting e-juice, or e-cig. Oh well.

Hopefully it gets easier with time. Of late, I keep re-thinking my decision to quit the e-cig in the first place.

Post subject: Re: Who's recenty quit smoking ?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good luck and stay strong. I've never smoked but it sure seems like it's a tough thing to quit.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I quit more than 25 years ago. It was YEARS before I stopped instinctively reaching to my shirt pocket. Even today, if I'm walking down the street and see a Marlboro Light hard pack laying on the street a little voice will run through my head and say "I wonder if there's any cigarettes in that box."

I quit in a hypno-therapist's chair. When we were done with our session she told me, "You're a non-smoker now, but if you smoke ONE cigarette you will be a smoker again. You can't have the first one." It took me years to realize that, yeah, duh, if don't have the first one, I won't have the second one and on and on and on. I will remain a non-smoker so long as I don't have the first one. But even if her advice was not as profound as it seemed at the time I've lived by it. The one thing I know is that I can't have the first one.

Good luck! Stay strong.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I quit quite a while ago but something my buddy said stuck with me. He said you had to be careful the third hour, the third day, the third month and the third year. And I found that to be exactly right when I quit. You just finished the 3rd month so it's all downhill from here.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

It's a one day at a time battle...but once you have made it one day, you've quit. The trick is staying with it another day, and another until you have a few months and then years behind you. But realize that at one day in, you've done it. Just stick to it.
I convinced myself that I hated the smell of it and got super sensitive to the smell on my clothes, hands, in the car...anywhere..I still use those triggers 37 years later.

After about 15 years I was able to smoke an occasional stick without any concern for starting up again. It's been a few years since I fired one up but I wouldn't have a problem to do so and not worry about it.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:51 pm 

emgerrish wrote:
It's been a few years since I fired one up but I wouldn't have a problem to do so and not worry about it.
Good luck!

I thought all was well until you put that last statement in place. That makes the whole statement to be more like the ravings of a lunatic. :shock:
I would no more consider that than jumping out of a plane without a chute. It is the same result for me.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:00 pm 
Crown Grade

I used the reward method when I quit, in 1977. Back then, a carton of Marlboros cost about $5.00, so I put five bucks a week away, to buy the Ruger 77 .270 ($165.00) that was my reward. You could buy a pretty nice shotgun saving what cigarettes cost now :shock: . Not to mention that you can dust off that justification whenever you wan to buy another - I've been doing that for 40 years :wink: .

Congratulations for kicking the habit!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

Curly-Nohair wrote:
emgerrish wrote:
It's been a few years since I fired one up but I wouldn't have a problem to do so and not worry about it.
Good luck!

I thought all was well until you put that last statement in place. That makes the whole statement to be more like the ravings of a lunatic. :shock:
I would no more consider that than jumping out of a plane without a chute. It is the same result for me.

I hear you...for years I wouldn't have tried it. But if you are doing business in Western Europe or Asia it really throws folks off if you don't smoke with them.
At a dinner is a town way North of Tianjin I noticed that no one was smoking...very odd for a Chinese dinner. I asked my driver for a stick and as soon as I lit it the whole room fired up..everyone had been holding back because of me. After that I made it a habit to fire one up every now and then just to let the locals relax. I won quite a few big business deals after I figured that out.

I don't recommend that anyone that has quit do this...I'm just saying that I can. I've conditioned myself to hate it enough that I don't worry about starting up again. They taste like crap, make me smell like crap and make hangeovers much worse....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:10 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I haven't really WANTED a smoke for about 4 years now--but, they still smell GOOD when I get a whiff.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:50 am 
Diamond Grade

Republican,

There are some people that put them down and never look back, it's over. There are other people that say it never goes away. Much of this is mental conditioning we develop in the growing up process. There are many detriments to lighting up: if you are around smokers there's a pretty good chance you'll pick the habit back up.
An idol body and body will be your worse possible enemy, KEEP BOTH OCCUPIED and you'll do fine. It's that ride home doing nothing that sounds dangerous. Find something educational or enjoyable to slip into the DVD player, occupy as much mind energy as you can, this will help.
The hypno therapy mentioned isn't a bad way to go, but it's not how people quit, it's an incentivizing technique or tool that works to support people who wish to quit, the power of suggestion.
The bottom line is if you put your hands on one you'll be back in the nicotine saddle, march on and you'll do fine.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:19 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I found an unopened pack of Marlboros just a couple days ago---just left them in the desk drawer where they belong.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I started smoking at 16 when it was the thing to do for a young teen. Marlboro Reds were $.25 per pack in the machine (probably $3.00 a pack in today's money), $1.90 a carton in the store and when I would go to West Point to shoot, $1.10 a carton in the PX.

My girl friends mother died in 28 days after being diagnosed with lung cancer back in 2001. After trying to quit 4 or 5 times (2 packs of Marlboro Reds as day), I finally put them down for good. Good thing too as they are now $13.50 a pack in New York City and even when I go to visit my daughter in North Carolina, they are from $50.00 (0n sale) to $65.00 a carton.

I did quit once for 11 months and was stupid enough to start again. I had the urge for about 8 more years to smoke and liked to be around people who did, I guess for the smell and the second hand smoke. Now being near a smoker makes me gag.

In 2008 I was diagnosed with throat cancer, funny thing those it was from the highest cause of throat cancer in middle aged men and not from smoking. You can google that if you want.

My girl friend can go out with friends that smoke, have 5 or more cigarettes in a night and then not touch another one for months. Not me, I was addicted to smoking. The doctors will tell you that nicotine will be out of your blood system in 72 hours. I think I was even addicted to holding a cigarette in between my fingers.

Oral fixation too, hence the throat cancer, which knock on plastic computer keys, I have been clear of since 2009.

Of course I have other bad habits, I drink too much, buy too many guns etc.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I didn't recently quit smoking. It was almost 50 years ago that I ditched the habit. Cigarette were 10 cents a pack, 90 cents a carton. I smoked for 20 years, 2 packs a day.

It was New Years Evening. I made it a resolution. On the stroke of midnight, I quit. Cold turkey. Never touched another one. It takes will power but when one makes up their mind, it can be done. I don't like being around smokers and inhaling their second hand smoke.

As for drinking, I never took up the habit. I tried to drink a beer when I was in the USAF but I tossed it after drinking a couple of swallows. My flight crew told me that it was a learned habit. I decided that I didn't want to learn it. From what I saw of how it acted on them, I preferred to keep my sanity. I saw some mighty sick crew members with headaches larger than their egos due to swilling too much brew.

Same as for smokers, I don't enjoy being around drunks. I got my fill of drunks during my LE career.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:27 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I imagine you did !---Good to se you, Ev !

I do have a beer every now and then---buy a new 6 pack every year.

Good whisky would have been my downfall--if I had let it. I suppose my liquor cabinet is still well stocked with some really nice bourbons , it used to be--I haven't looked in several years.

To be perfectly honest. I was well on my way to becoming an alcoholic before I put the glass down for keeps ! I liked it too well !!!!

Now, I need to convince myself that beautiful women are harmful to my health . Then, and only then, I will be ready for the grave.

Last edited by driller on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:32 am 
Crown Grade

Off smoking now for 36 years. No tobacco products (or fake cigarettes, either) at all. I too dislike being around drunks and smokers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:15 pm 
Field Grade

Smoked for 25 years - cigarettes, cigars, pipe - really loved it...tried to quit many times untill Monday, July the 20th 2009 9:15 PM - smoked last one, never looked back. It was Allen Carr Easyway Audio book that did the trick:

https://www.allencarr.com/the-allen-car ... ay-method/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I smoked for 20-25 years and quit a long time ago, one of the best things I've ever done. Oddly, though, I'll have a Marlboro Light once in a while with the son-in-law, while drinking of course, and never have any desire for more than that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Well, I have told my story before; but for those who missed it:

I started smoking at 11 and started trying to quit at 16......never made it more than a couple of months. I knew if I could get away from cigarettes for a couple of weeks I could do it.

June 1994 (O.J. Slow speed chase) I'm in the hospital with a triple by-pass and when I came out of it - there was O.J. on the TV. Anyhow, by the time I got out of intensive care and another week in the ward and a week or two at home I had it made....never thought about smoking again.

Now, the spouse had to quit - I could not be in the same house with all that stink. It took her a couple of months but - she made it.

Then, says she, we need to do something with all the money we are not spending (at the time they were about $18 a carton). Each payday she would put that much month aside. When she got to a $1,000 she went to a stock broker and bought Disney stock. She continued that and the last I knew there was about $60K in various stocks. She had put this money in the name of the grandson who was born in last 1993 (a few months before my surgery). The grandson mother got in the act and started kicking in some money each month.
The stock market has done well since the mid 90's and today the grandson has paid for his AA degree at a local college (including living in an apartment). His last statement from the brokerage firm shows he has just over $100K still in the portfolio.

Not bad for QUITTING SMOKING.............

SO, all of you stop tobacco and save the money.........you may retire early!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:01 am 
Crown Grade

Holy Smokes (pun semi-intended), - some really REALLY good replies to my thread here, - I had no idea, seriously.

Somehow I don't feel so "all alone" here anymore, so thank you for that, each and every one of you for your posts (and the time to make them).

I just wish I can "un" remember, and un-learn the recent joy that I created when mixing those two flavors of Black Note's e-juice together in my Mistic e-cig cartomiser.

I call it my "accidental heroin creation". I'm wondering if I should have just did the whole course of systematic nicotine reduction instead of just cold turkey off of the Mistic e-cig 1.8 mg.

Black Note makes those e-juice flavors in 0% nicotine, and I kinda think (wish) I would have tried them before putting down the e-cig for good. There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about that e-cig (and those Black Note e-juice flavors). It's tough.

I don't ever, ever see myself cheating, and/or going back to analogue (real cigarettes), as that phase in my life is gone for good. That much I know for sure. The Mistic e-cig with 50/50% Black Note 'Forte' and 'Legato' e-juice? Boy I dunno, - not sure that particular craving will ever go away.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I quit 10 years ago after smoking for 35 years. I wish they had the vaping products they have now but it was in it's infancy back then with only 1 or 2 rudimentary products I didn't try.Still I promised myself I would use the money I saved to get back into shotguns.
My choices were either smoke or shoot. Shooting won.