ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who's recenty quit smoking ?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I continue to quit everyday, it's been close to 25 years now... but if I have one, I'd be back at it.

Stay strong.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:18 am 
Limited Edition

After you quit smoking, make sure you get plenty of anti-oxidants.
I eat a bowlful of blueberries every day.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:23 am 
Crown Grade

Jaspo01 wrote:
I quit 10 years ago after smoking for 35 years. I wish they had the vaping products they have now but it was in it's infancy back then with only 1 or 2 rudimentary products I didn't try.Still I promised myself I would use the money I saved to get back into shotguns.
My choices were either smoke or shoot. Shooting won.

Yeah, still can't stop thinking about that Black Note vaping liquid. Shame on them for refining N.E.T (Naturally Extracted Tobacco) flavor.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:34 am 
Crown Grade

maggs01 wrote:
I continue to quit everyday, it's been close to 25 years now...
Stay strong.

Boy I hear ya on the "quitting every day"! Does it get any easier as time goes on ?

maggs01 wrote:
but if I have one, I'd be back at it.

Boy, I dunno .... (I don't know how you'd know that actually).

So I've been to a few big (outdoor) outings involving lots of food, drinking, and people smoking. One was a big summer picnic at the bosses house. There is a small group of workmates who were going off in the corner of the yard smoking the bosses cigarettes. Some of them were ex smokers who quit 7+ years ago. I hung out near them, but didn't really have the urge to have a smoke, even with a cold beer in hand, and after a few shots of Jonny Walker Blue label.

But I still can't stop thinking about my concoction of the 2 Black Note flavors that I mixed together to accidentally create heroin. Maybe I should get that all of that out of the house (garage) to make me quit thinking about them.

But in full disclosure, I have found myself pursuing over the Black Note website looking at the 0% (no nicotine) products the other day thinking about how I'd like to try the 0% no-nicotine version of the concoction that I brewed up, and what that might be like. I may still do that, - I dunno.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:43 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Just throw that damned thing in the trash and grit your teeth for a few days. Don't look back !!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:34 pm 
Crown Grade

driller wrote:
Just throw that damned thing in the trash and grit your teeth for a few days. Don't look back !!!!!!!!!!

"Which" damned thing ? ...

So I went out in the garage, fished out the stuffed baggie that I threw up on top the spray can shelf in the garage cabinets.

Here is my "wears" (or however you say that) :

So I consolidated what I wanted to keep, what I wanted to give away, and what I wanted to toss:

My boss at work is still struggling with trying to quit smoking, and is still doing real cigs with refillable e-cigs. I turned him on to the whole Black Note N.E.T. e-juice thing, and he agrees that it's like none other.

So I thought I can give him my care package stuffed in the baggie on the left, I'd keep one of the chargers, and the emergency battery pack charger thing, and toss out the used white caps. Also found an emergency "Blu" that I had in the center console of the truck.

I used to haul the larger baggie with me to work and keep it behind the seat of my truck when I went to work, and take the smaller bag (with the 3 juiced up e-cigs) with me up to the office. I'd keep that little Mistc white box in my file cabinet in my office as an emergency. That thing was great, - it had a built-in battery enough to fully charge a cartimizer or two.

That's that I did when I was TOTALLY hooked on that Black Note e-juice, - wow!

That's ALL I thought about: the "what if's". 'What if I ran out?', and making backup plans.

Prior to carrying around all that stuff, I was known to even REFILL the damn thing at long red lights in traffic going to work! (I have over an hour commute each way into work).

So I had 3-4 juiced up, charged up Mistic e-cigs in that little baggie with me most of the time, plus arms length access to the spare in that white charger/travel pack, PLUS that portable USB batter charger, PLUS an emergency 'Blu' for "just in case".

So I was just going thru this stuff, I said "what the hell", and took good long puffs on the 3 that were in the small baggie. I knew they were by "best", 'top-shelf' performers all juiced up, and charged up the day before I decided to put the ecig(s) down for good (pending a doctor visit over "potentially" being forced to go on blood pressure meds. Whew, dodged a bullet, but that's a WHOLE nothing story for a different thread.

Anyways, I took some "farewell puffs" on them to 'kiss em goodbye' so to speak. They still worked, had a good draw, but the taste wasn't quite what I remembered, and the satisfaction that I remember, well, it just wasn't there. Plus a got a little (just a tad) dizzy, and now I got a little bit of a headache.

Hopefully those 4 puffs weren't enough to get me hooked again, and clawing at the walls.

But just in case I start dreaming about them and sleep walking tonight, maybe I should find some remote place to ditch them. If I threw them aware here, my brain be like: 'dude, you can always just walk out to the garage in your underware and fish them out of the garbage can.'

I can take that baggie with me to the trap range, and throw them out the window into the trees on the exit ramp of the Interstate that I need to get off at to go to the range. But knowing my luck, someone will see me, and/or find it, and my neighborhood will be on the news with helicopter video and TV reporting a sighting of an IED, or terrorist bomb or some crap.

I need to empty 5 cat litter boxes today, so maybe I can mix all of that together (urine saturated cat litter with bag-O-ecig stuff) and throw that in the garbage, and then tell my subconscious brain: 'there ya go pal, suck on THAT, and dream about it'.

I still have that "what if" idea running around my brain that all I need to do is to go online to order the 0%/no-nicotine version of those Black Note flavors, and I'd be in hose. So anytime I even *remotely* thought about em, I can just say (to my brain): Ok, Ok, lets have some "puffs", - lets just get a taste of that magical mixture of 'Legato', and 'Forte'.

Problem is, Mistic doesn't sell "blank" cartimizers, and all of cartimizers pictured all have 1.8% nicotine e-juice in them of some sorts. I thought, well, I can flush one out with the alcohol and the turkey baster and spin-dry them with the bolt with the hole in it on a string (pictured in the above photos) like I've been doing, and then juice up with the 0% no-nicotine thing.

So then I'd be into it for another $30 or so to get the 0% nicotine version of the Black Note thing. But my thought would be that I wouldn't be "addicted" to the stuff like I was, nor would I be "re-addicting" myself, so maybe this is a good way to just naturally 'lose interest' in the whole Black Note flavor thing over time. I dunno. But then there's those reports of getting "popcorn lung" (whatever the hell that really is) with vaping, so, so far that's kept me at bay from doing that.

But I did spend some time looking for 0% nicotine/no-nicotine "disposable" e-cigs, and not finding anything. I see 'Blu' has 0% nicotine refills for their refillable line of e-cigs, but not in the disposable e-cigs that you see in the gas stations and convenience stores.

Anyways, it does help to talk about it. "seeing" the stuff, and looking at the picture of the "stuff" also helps.

Maybe I'll come back and find this post some more months from now and reflect on it an say: jeeze, what a fool, - what was I thinking.

What I really need to do is transfer the endorphins into something else. I have gained weight, so I got to watch that. Peaches (and other fruit) are in season, and man, there is no greater joy than to get one of them ripe peaches from the farmers market just down the road from here, put it in the fridge, get it good and cold, and bite into it to where the juice is all over me, my face, my shirt, my lap, seat, - EVERYTHING.

And 10-4 on the poster above mentioning blue berries and anti-oxidents. I was st that fruit stand on the way from from the range yesterday, and they had blue berries, but I didn't even think about that. So I'll do that today, - thanks.

Now, when I pack up to go to work (or the range), the only "baggie" I make sure I have before I leave the house are ones that look like this with "cold" chucks of fruits, - peaches, pairs, you name it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Hi Folks!! - just an update on this topic....

Yup, I'm still smoke free, and haven't touched a cigarette since April 6th, 2017. :)

Reflecting back, it has been a real journey, let me tell YOU !

And the journey/challenge(s) was nothing like I expected (how could one really know, right?)

The *reason* I hunted down this thread (a challenge in itself), was because I lost track of how long it's been since I stopped smoking.

I remembered that it was 8:40 AM Thursday, April 6th, and I knew it was the beginning months of Trumps presidency, but somehow I was thinking it was only 1-1/2 years, and that I was only coming up on 2-years. The GF kept saying, no, - I think it's more like "3" years that you're coming up on.

Apparently I can't do math. Yeah. April 6th next year will be 3 years.

Looking back on the journey, that's a pretty good problem to have, - not know whether it's been 2 years, or 3 years.

I remember counting "hours" when I first stopped smoking.

Anyways, I did it. It's good to look back on and see the progress.

I was diagnosed with Type-II diabetes in January of this year, and that's changed my life a bit.

I'm controlling it, and working really-really hard at it at that. Diet, exercise, etc. etc.

I lost ~30 Lbs since then, and still have about 10-13 Lbs more to go. I'm 6' 0" and my goal is to be at 200 Lbs. I was ~240 Lbs at the beginning of the year, and fluctuate between 210 and 213.5 Lbs.

Again, thanks for all of the support from ALL of you, both in this beginning thread, and all of the other threads on this subject in this forum. I couldn't have done it without you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:16 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Congratulations, Republican. It's not easy to quit smoking, and quite an accomplishment to do so and maintain your weight, much less lose some pounds. Well done!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:20 pm 

Very impressive! Lose the rest of that weight and your blood sugar may improve as well.\
Remember it is not a good thing to have a smoke to celebrate!!!!

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I can sort of relate. I quit drinking beer New Years Eve. Evidently it was a habit and not an addiction as I have not had any problem with cravings. The real reason that quit is that my neighbor was diagnosed with alcohol related liver problems and that was a wake up call for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:48 am 
Diamond Grade

Glad to hear you're still smoke-free. Stay vigilant... I once quit for eight years and started up again.

I quit on the 2nd of February this year and hope to NEVER start back up. I've gained 13 lbs, which is a good trade, I think. It's easier to loose weight than to quit smoking, right?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:39 am 
Diamond Grade

Congratulations on keeping smoke free! That is a major achievement of which you can be proud.
I quit smoking 11 years ago. I am so grateful that I did as I had smoked two packs a day for over 40 years. I coughed so bad the whole office could hear me. The cough started disappearing the first week after I quit. The blue rings under my eyes started clearing up right away too. I try to eat some antioxidants every day to keep cancer away.

Be proud of yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Just out of curiosity, how many of you started as a result of being issued free smokes while in the service?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Good question, Ezra!

Every ration had a pack of cigarettes in it. I had already started smoking and this was a bonus. I quit a few years after my tour of duty in the USAF. The guys in my flight crew that didn't smoke kept us "chimneys" in smokes.

I would like to know the answer to Ezra's question, also.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I already smoked, but smoked more with cheap PX and ship store cigarettes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

Great going Republican, keep it up.

I quit 50 years ago, smoked heavy for 13 years. I had a procedure done about 3 weeks ago to check my calcium level, another side benefit of the procedure was that it showed up some things I was not even looking for, and one of them was a lump in my lung. So I had to have a biopsy to see if the lump was cancerous. I had that done Friday the 13th, will get my results Friday the 20th. Take care of your body.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

I quit over 20 years ago. The nicotine patch plus will power put an end to it. Good luck. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What is the attitude of the modern military towards smoking?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:24 am 
Limited Edition

The wife and I quit in Oct 2000 after an ER episode with her mother ruined our birthday celebration weekend. Her mother was a life long smoker of 50 years+. She was rushed to the ER after she passed out from lack of oxygen to her brain caused by severe emphysema. When they placed the O2 sensor on her finger it registered 72. The attending Dr. told my wife that if a normal person's O2 had dropped that low they would fall over dead but because her body had gradually gotten used to such low O2 levels she was still able to function. The old girl never quit smoking until dementia, from lack of O2 to the brain, caused her to forget she smoked about two weeks before she died. She was kicked out of an assisted living facility because she was caught twice smoking with oxygen on. We decided we weren't going to put our son through that so we quit. I occasionally smoke a pipe when I'm sitting in a duck blind or on a dove field but my wife hasn't used tobacco since.

Stoeger Condor 12ga 20ga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:34 am 
Limited Edition

Ezra Smack wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how many of you started as a result of being issued free smokes while in the service?

I was already a smoker (1/2 pack a day) before enlisting but became a heavy smoker (2+ packs a day) during boot camp. You chain smoked as many as you could when the "smoking lamp" was lit. Ah the good old days in Uncle Sam's canoe club.

Stoeger Condor 12ga 20ga

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next