ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coronavirus is for real!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:33 am 
Presentation Grade

I am posting this to urge the NSCA/NSSA to cancel all events for the next 30 days!
You may think I'm overreacting and that's fine but I am setting in my house for the next 2 weeks because I have been exposed to someone who was positive.

I live in a metro area of 1 million people and as of Saturday we had only 2 confirmed cases. Was I going to go to the shoot? Heck yes how could I have any exposure? We'll someone my wife met for lunch several days earlier has now tested positive on Sunday afternoon and I have to wrestle with the thoughts that I may have been exposed and possibly put many others at the shoot at risk.
Before you jump all over this here are some facts.
The person who tested positive had not traveled anywhere in over a month and never outside the country.
She had no symptoms.
She had some serious heart issues and had been hospitalized earlier in the week and had had very limited contact with anyone but family and hospital personnel.

Never in a million years could we anticipate that this meeting would result in this exposure.
Like many of us at the shoot on Saturday I was not overly concerned about catching the coronavirus from a bunch of shooters. Holy crap the person who was the potential carrier was me!! While neither my wife and I have symptoms and we are sitting home racking our brains to know what to do about telling our friends we had contact with.
God willing we are not positive, but we won't know until we are tested and are waiting to hear from our doctors and County Health Dept. to take the next step.

My wife's friend is currently in the hospital with pneumonia and we are very concerned for her health and ask for prayers on her behalf.
Keep diligent and take this stuff seriously we all want to be able to shoot again with our friends by summer time.
Jim Waterman

Post subject: Re: Coronavirus is for real!!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:57 am 
Crown Grade

Yeah, for us seniors it's no joke.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:05 am 
Crown Grade

I saw this -

Flu - Mortality 0.1%

Corona virus - Mortality 1.0%

That's a huge difference.

Last edited by ShowMe on Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:06 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Great idea Jim.

I hope everything works out OK for you and your wife.

This stuff is a real problem for many people.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:09 am 
Crown Grade

I dropped out of the State Championship. Not for me, but my wife is a year older than me, and has diabetes.

I'm not willing to risk her health. They'll be other tournaments.

If you're shooting, have fun, shoot well, and be safe.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:32 am 
Tournament Grade

Agree 100%
I’m 72 and just had my physical 2 weeks ago and am told I am in excellent health
BUT I am 72 which is the high risk group
Live in Texas and we have 2 major shoots in next 4-5 weeks and am amazed that there is some dithering on cancellations
NSCA has said it is up to the clubs to cancel not NSCA!
Excellent leadership
I am tired of hearing , well it’s outdoors so it is ok
Let’s be blunt, the hygiene on a good day is marginal at best at major shoots and now some risk.

Also wonder what attendance, percentage wise, is for 60+ at these shoots? Would suggest it skewed to that older demographic especially in non summer months

Again agree 100%

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Agree.

Be smart and safe and healthy!!

A short time without Sporting isn't the end of the world!!

My Dad is 86, I can't imagine being the one to unknowingly expose him to this crap.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:57 am 
Crown Grade

At most sporting clays events, 70% of the people are over 60 years old, which means 50% of them could get the virus.

(40% or all internet statistics are made up)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:05 am 
Crown Grade

fal777 wrote:
Agree 100%
I’m 72 and just had my physical 2 weeks ago and am told I am in excellent health
BUT I am 72 which is the high risk group
Live in Texas and we have 2 major shoots in next 4-5 weeks and am amazed that there is some dithering on cancellations
NSCA has said it is up to the clubs to cancel not NSCA!
Excellent leadership
I am tired of hearing , well it’s outdoors so it is ok
Let’s be blunt, the hygiene on a good day is marginal at best at major shoots and now some risk.

Also wonder what attendance, percentage wise, is for 60+ at these shoots? Would suggest it skewed to that older demographic especially in non summer months

Again agree 100%

Right there with you in age and general health ( at least as of last year`s physical; this year`s due this week ). I`m avoiding gatherings as much as possible, stepping up the personal hygiene in public. Just seems prudent.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:13 am 
Crown Grade

I`m not in any way trying to diminish the importance of taking prudent precautions. We should be. Having said that, I find myself wondering about the death rates for this virus. The majority are from Europe and China. Particularly in the case of China, it would be interesting to know the statistics pertaining to the rate of long term cigarette smoking, particularly in males. That, plus the verifiable extremely poor air quality would be a perfect set up for a respiratory virus.

I`ve not heard anything about that in the MSM.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:15 am 
Limited Edition

I will repost this (edited) from a post I replied to on another forum last week.

This pandemic originated in China and rapidly spread around the world. However, China imposed major lockdowns and quarantines and has slowed their infection rate considerably. Italy was not prepared, did not impose travel and quarantine restrictions early enough and risks their health care system running out of resources - ICU beds, ventilators, masks, gowns, medical staff, etc. as the numbers of infected patients increase. Spain and Europe are trying not to replicate Italy's mistakes.
Of course the "regular, common yearly" flus have been terribly fatal and have not caused this type of reaction, but consider that this virus has no cure/vaccine in the near horizon, is more fatal - especially among patients with cancer, the elderly and/or those with preexisting comorbidities, probably more contagious and currently we do not have yet available enough test kits (thankfully kits will soon be available in the necessary amounts).

Yes, cancelling concerts, sport events, school classes and most any and all large gatherings is inconvenient and extremely costly - thinking of the losses the airlines, hotels, restaurants, tourism are going to sustain is staggering. I certainly can't speak to the individual gun/trap clubs shutting down or postponing tournaments; that's their call. And we as freedom loving Americans are simply not used to and are fearful of the government placing such restrictions on us. But as China learned, Europe, the USA and the rest of the world are all understanding, these restrictions/quarantines are absolutely necessary in helping to contain this virus and limiting the ensuing loss of life.

Since then more precautions are being mandated. Let's keep this non-political and yes sir, Rev, this is very real. Thank you for posting and hope all is well with you, your wife and friends. The next month or so may be rough and tough and scary, but we will get through this one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:59 am 
Field Grade

Here in NC, I attended the East Coast Championship (Friday only) to pick up a new gun that had just been altered to fit me, and shot a 50 and 100 12ga prelim. Plenty of hand washing and still enjoyed being in the safest place on Earth ---- the gun club!

Wife and i are both 66, I look like 70 and she looks 55, in good health, but while shooting, the ACC tournament, the NCAA tournament (basketball) was cancelled, Governor cancelled schools and events of more than 100 people starting today (excluding businesses like malls, shopping centers, restaurants) but even attending church could be a class 2 misdemeanor.

Our only child is gonna deliver a granddaughter this week and the hospital in Greenville, NC is doing nothing but emergency surgery and deliveries and dealing with or prepping for COVID19. Only our son in law and my wife (2 people) can be with our daughter, I'll go up later in the week even if I have to wave from outside a window looking in.

Back to shooting, Deep River has cancelled the popular side by side event, and it'll be interesting to see if clubs still remain on a regular schedule with the "100 person" event rules (most days its unusual to see more than 100 shooters on most NC courses, and smaller circuit shoots are mostly in the 50/80 range, but staff/vendors may put them over the 100 rule/law.

Hope and pray this "pandemic" (by definition) will be controlled and treatments/vaccines are on the way. Prayers for all and especially the old gray haired folks who are the majority of shooters, as well as the clubs that are gonna be adversely impacted.

Good Shooting!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:20 am 
Limited Edition

You are free to think as you will. Hopefully you and others will be healthy.
But don’t impose your mandate or attempt to restrict others ideas or movement.
Let them
make their own choices.
It’s still a constitutional republic.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:27 am 
Presentation Grade

Oh, for Pete's sake! I cannot believe how many, otherwise, sane, rational people are being sucked into this media-fueled frenzy. The media is working feverishly to make this "crisis" into Trumps Katrina.
Please read the linked article for a little perspective

https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... ither.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

BobFM and Vette Jockey2, Not all of us will make it!

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:58 am 
Crown Grade

Vette Jockey2 wrote:
Oh, for Pete's sake! I cannot believe how many, otherwise, sane, rational people are being sucked into this media-fueled frenzy. The media is working feverishly to make this "crisis" into Trumps Katrina.
Please read the linked article for a little perspective

https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... ither.html

I'm curious, what did you get your medical degree from?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:15 am 
Field Grade

I am with Vette Jockey on this one.... Holy Moly already......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:21 am 
Crown Grade

KickEez wrote:
I am with Vette Jockey on this one.... Holy Moly already......

Ok, where did you get your medical degree from?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:36 am 
Crown Grade

Tide the reason you have not heard anything about those potentially complicating factors is because you are using your scientific training and common sense. The media has neither!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:44 am 
Limited Edition

I'm a 66 year old Respirarory Therpait working in NYC, so I am very much on the front lines - along with the RN's MD's, NP's and other health care workers. I can assure you this is no hoax it is very, very real.

This is the other part of the post I made on another forum and cited in this thread earlier, but I think its appropriate.

I am hesitant to enjoin and comment in threads that are/have become political for a number of reasons. First is that they seem to initiate and thrive in name calling and insults. There is a reason for that old adage "don't talk about religion or politics at the dinner table." Of course being an Italian American growing up in the sixties, this was not something we often abided by.

Secondly few opinions are changed anyhow, most people on the left, right and in the middle tend to simply accept and cheer those posts that echo their own beliefs and dismiss those that disagree as dumb, blind, ignorant, fascist, liberals - pick your insult. I'm not entirely clean here either, but I'd like to think that I still can be persuaded by an intelligent argument. I think these two articles are unbiased, instructive and worth a read.

Spain looks to Italy for coronavirus lessons as 60,000 Spaniards go on lockdown
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...4 ... story.html

China is not a leftist country, nor is Iran, Russia or in fact most of the world, out to promote a leftists agenda in the hopes of defeating Donald Trump. Yes, I agree there are those on the left, who will accept (secretly) of course, that this virus and its repercussions on the economy are worth the price to pay for getting Trump out of office. I also suppose if a Democratic President were in the White House today, instead of Donald Trump, the same scenario would be played out by the right. Unfortunately, such is the world we live in.

In this Internet driven world you can and will find sources that will say virtually anything - right and left, that's simply incorrect. I think the CDC and Dr. Anthony Faucci are doing a great job with giving us all facts, not fiction.