ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coronavirus is for real!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:40 am 
Diamond Grade

My parents and grandparents were active and productive into their 90s. 69.5 is late middle aged in my perspective!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

EricB wrote:
My parents and grandparents were active and productive into their 90s. 69.5 is late middle aged in my perspective!

Eric, I feel good, but if 69.5 is the new middle age, I sincerely hope that I don't make it to 139. MAJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:41 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I agree with you MAJ. I sure would like to set a clinic you you and your lady friend. (Haver the virus pandemic settles down some. Years ago, I taught 31 women every week. I believe this was one of the most fun teaching I have ever done. You can come here or I will come to you.

Mike McAlpine
The Clay Target Academy

When I started this reply, I had no intentions of promoting a school but being a salesman before I became a coach makes me do these things. I love to teach but I really love to teach women. They listen much better than most men and are more open to trying new things. I promise that you and your group will learn a lot and become better shooters. I have had only a few students that told me they didn't didn't learn anything. One was the head of the New York Stock Exchange and the other guy was known to do this and try to get his money back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

remdog1187 wrote:
BobFM wrote:
I'm a 66 year old Respirarory Therpait working in NYC, so I am very much on the front lines - along with the RN's MD's, NP's and other health care workers. I can assure you this is no hoax it is very, very real.
China is not a leftist country, nor is Iran, Russia or in fact most of the world, out to promote a leftists agenda in the hopes of defeating Donald Trump. Yes, I agree there are those on the left, who will accept (secretly) of course, that this virus and its repercussions on the economy are worth the price to pay for getting Trump out of office. I also suppose if a Democratic President were in the White House today, instead of Donald Trump, the same scenario would be played out by the right. Unfortunately, such is the world we live in.[/b][/i]

The countries you mentioned certainly don’t have our best interests in mind.
Dictatorships with a Communist or Fascist history are appropriate. Would you like it better if they were labeled progressive’s? The old soft sell?

Your supposition is ridiculous. What party has shown a propensity for weaponizing any crisis including this one? The radical left Democratic Party.

I wish you luck on the front lines. Try to keep it in perspective.

^^^^Like!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:04 pm 
Field Grade

It hit home for me when I found out that a guy who is a law partner of mine, 45 years old, always healthy, got it & had to be put on a respirator & was put in a medically-induced coma.

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/a ... d169a.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:08 pm 
Crown Grade

bjec1248 wrote:
It hit home for me when I found out that a guy who is a law partner of mine, 45 years old, always healthy, got it & had to be put on a respirator & was put in a medically-induced coma.

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/a ... d169a.html

Crazy. Had he traveled out of the country, or did he get it here?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

On an equally serious note.

Will the Deuce be cancelled?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mike McAlpine wrote:
I agree with you MAJ. I sure would like to set a clinic you you and your lady friend. (Haver the virus pandemic settles down some. Years ago, I taught 31 women every week. I believe this was one of the most fun teaching I have ever done. You can come here or I will come to you.

Mike McAlpine
The Clay Target Academy

When I started this reply, I had no intentions of promoting a school but being a salesman before I became a coach makes me do these things. I love to teach but I really love to teach women. They listen much better than most men and are more open to trying new things. I promise that you and your group will learn a lot and become better shooters. I have had only a few students that told me they didn't didn't learn anything. One was the head of the New York Stock Exchange and the other guy was known to do this and try to get his money back.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:08 am 
Presentation Grade

I am sure that some shoots will be cancelled. It has already happened in most places. The last information that I read is that outdoor activities are OK and maybe healthy to be in the sunshine. In my mind a tournament would be somewhat difficult to have and still avoid personal contact.
Shoot cancellations will surely be on Winscore when the decisions are made.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:40 am 
Field Grade

Zbigniew wrote:
Quote:
. . . and I work in health care and the number of meetings I’m having to attend on this matter is as ridiculous as the toilet paper hoarding.

Just curious...isn't that exactly what the medical community is telling the non-medical community not to do?

The healthcare regulatory agencies are telling people not to congregate.

Healthcare execs and management are running scared and reacting to community responses in an effort to staff where they are finding themselves drastically short.

The "unit" where my wife works takes calls for MD offices. They were turned into the community health line over the weekend. Normally there are 2-3 nurses taking calls and the response time is extremely fast - 6-10 minutes for a call back. They were inundated to the point there were 7 nurses on the phones and they constantly remained 30+ calls behind all day long.

They are training float pool nurses to take community health calls and the red tape associated with training is onerous. It may be a combination of attempting to be responsible in their responses, but I sense there is a big case of liticaphobia going around.

Regular healthcare people are . . . *different*. They know it is out there. They know there is no legal or moral response to stupidity. Many of them know they either have been or will be exposed.

The primary concern is mitigating extreme exposure, especially with critically ill, known and/or high risk patients with respiratory issues. Use of oxygen, even with a nasal cannula, creates an aerosolized pathway for spread of pathogens. How to care for the patients while limiting exposure is closely akin to the Ebola protocol, only because isolation procedures are not something most healthcare professionals ever practice.

There is still too much fear mongering out there and not enough critical thinking skills being engaged by the general public.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:25 pm 
Crown Grade

Hi Jim

Any updates ?

Hope you and your wife didn't get it. Hopefully her friend is doing better.

NSCA #551026

FORUMS are for ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. They don't teach shooting!

{RO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:32 pm 
Crown Grade

lcbo wrote:
On an equally serious note.

Will the Deuce be cancelled?

Unfortunately... https://www.rbgunclub.com/events/list/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:51 pm 
Presentation Grade

Stay home!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

Talked first hand to a guy calling on some equipment that got it 25 years old and healthy.
I asked him what it feels like and his answer was it felt like he was lying in the floor and someone was standing on his chest for 12 days straight.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:31 am 
Limited Edition

I still can’t wrap my head around the recent projections of 100k+ fatalities. I sure hope those models are off. But even in the very best possible scenario, Covid-19 looks to be the worst of the flu pandemics save the Spanish flu of 1918. And to those who persist in comparing it to the last couple of flus and saying in effect “nothing was mentioned by the media” once again - there is at this time no vaccine, it is extremely contagious and more deadly once infected.

As a hospital health care worker each year come November we are strongly encouraged to take the flu vaccine. Those who don’t are required to wear a face mask from the time they enter the hospital until the time they leave. I always took that vaccine and followed appropriate precautions with these patients, but I never ever had a concern about either contracting it through patient contact or worse - bringing it home to my family. Now, it’s on my mind every day. And finally consider what the heck the fatalities would be if we did not take the measures we are taking and acted as this was another “yearly” flu - ya know, going to movies and concerts, working in an office with a zillion other people, birthday parties, etc. I bet fatalities would/could be in the millions.

Let’s continue to take the needed precautions as this thing rolls across the country and stay safe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:23 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I agree with you Bob. Also, I would like to salute you as a first responder. I know this is your job but still I think all first responders need to be thanked. Please keep yourself and your family safe.

Mike McAlpine

My daughter in a nurse and has an autoimmune disease, She decided (with lots of encourage from my wife and I plus here husband and three kids) to take a 30 day unpaid leave of absence. We were very afraid for her to continue to work. She is 43 years old and has had this disease since she was 15 years old. It has really caused her a lot of trouble. She went to the ER two nights ago because she had a blood sugar of 578. She has diabetes but never a real high blood sugar like this. She found out that she had a kidney infection. Last year she had Sepsis and was in the ICU for 10 days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:22 pm 
Limited Edition

Mike McAlpine wrote:
I agree with you Bob. Also, I would like to salute you as a first responder. I know this is your job but still I think all first responders need to be thanked. Please keep yourself and your family safe.

Mike McAlpine

My daughter in a nurse and has an autoimmune disease, She decided (with lots of encourage from my wife and I plus here husband and three kids) to take a 30 day unpaid leave of absence. We were very afraid for her to continue to work. She is 43 years old and has had this disease since she was 15 years old. It has really caused her a lot of trouble. She went to the ER two nights ago because she had a blood sugar of 578. She has diabetes but never a real high blood sugar like this. She found out that she had a kidney infection. Last year she had Sepsis and was in the ICU for 10 days.

Thanks Mike for those very kind words. I very much appreciate it. Dang that's tough regarding your daughter - hope she's on the mend - and stays that way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

With the talk of late being that of regional and hopefully 'thoughtful' re-opening of economy, businesses , etc I'm wondering how our various clubs will / can respond.

I'm in SE Pa and both my local clubs (Atglen and Oxford) remain closed. Fingers crossed for an opening sometime next month. I think with common sense this can be accomplished

thoughts ........

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have a friend who often asks "why don't they talk about those who recovered" Probably because many of those who survive never fully recover. Following is some information from medical people that partially tells the story.

What problems do patients experience after leaving the hospital?
There are many. Patients may leave the hospital with scarring, damage or inflammation that still needs to heal in the lungs, heart, kidneys, liver or other organs. This can cause a range of problems, including urinary and metabolism issues.
Dr. Zijian Chen, the medical director of the new Center for Post-Covid Care at Mount Sinai Health System, said the biggest physical problem the center was seeing was shortness of breath, which can be the result of lung or heart impairments or a blood-clotting problem.
“Some have an intermittent cough that doesn’t go away that makes it hard for them to breathe,” he said. Some are even on nasal oxygen at home, but it is not helping them enough.
Some patients who were on ventilators report difficulty swallowing or speaking above a whisper, a usually temporary result of bruising or inflammation from a breathing tube that passes through the vocal cord. Many patients experience muscle weakness after lying in a hospital bed for so long, said Dr. Dale Needham, a critical care physician at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and a leader in the field of intensive care recovery. As a result, they can have trouble walking, climbing stairs or lifting objects.

Nerve damage or weakness can also whittle away muscle strength, Dr. Needham said. Neurological problems can cause other symptoms, too. Dr. Chen said that Mount Sinai’s post-Covid center has referred nearly 40 percent of patients to neurologists for issues like fatigue, confusion and mental fogginess. “Some of it is very debilitating,” he said. “We have patients who come in and tell us: ‘I can’t concentrate on work. I’ve recovered, I don’t have any breathing problems, I don’t have chest pain, but I can’t get back to work because I can’t concentrate.’”
The center also refers some of these patients for psychological consults, Dr. Chen said.
“It’s really common for patients to have PTSD after going through this — nightmares, depression and anxiety because they’re having flashbacks and remembering what happened,” said Dr. Lauren Ferrante, a pulmonary and critical care physician at Yale School of Medicine who studies post-I.C.U. recovery outcomes.
Emotional issues may be heightened for Covid-19 patients because of their days spent hospitalized without visits from family and friends, experts say.
“This experience of being extremely sick and extremely alone really amplifies the trauma,” said Dr. Putrino, adding that many patients were contacting his program to ask for telemedicine psychology services. “They’re saying, ‘Listen, I’m not really myself and I need to speak with someone.’”
To describe the wide variety of recovery challenges, experts often use an umbrella term, coined about a decade ago: post-intensive care syndrome or PICS, which can include any of the physical, cognitive and emotional symptoms patients encounter.
    What makes someone more likely to face recovery challenges?

Studies of people hospitalized for respiratory failure from other causes suggest recovery is more likely to be harder for people who were frail beforehand and for people who needed longer hospitalizations, Dr. Ferrante said.
But many other coronavirus patients — not just those who are older or who have other medical conditions — are spending weeks on ventilators and weeks more in the hospital after their breathing tubes are removed, making their recovery hills steeper to climb.
“You have prolonged lengths of stay on a ventilator and in the I.C.U. that are now longer than we’ve ever seen before,” Dr. Ferrante said. “One worries that this is going to have repercussions for physical function and that we’ll see more people not recovering.”
Another factor that can extend or hamper recovery is a phenomenon called hospital delirium, a condition that can involve paranoid hallucinations and anxious confusion. It is more likely to occur in patients who undergo prolonged sedation, have limited social interaction and are unable to move around — all common among Covid-19 patients.
Studies, including one by a team at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, have found that I.C.U. patients who experience hospital delirium are more likely to have cognitive impairment in the months after they leave the hospital.

Be safe, be calm, be kind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:53 pm 
Field Grade

Not sure how many people are really getting this in my area NOVA
(just outside of DC) went to the ER 2 weeks ago wife cut her finger. The ER was empty, the rooms are set up with positive ventilation that vents to outside. Also the hospital also called me to tell me Cardiac Rehabilitation starts back up next week. So the most high risk people can go back into the hospital???

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next