ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Better keep that 44 handy, to shoot a feral hog
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ezra Smack wrote:
The bottom line is that hunters are not stepping up and making a sufficient dent in the feral hog population. The reason is that wild hogs are nocturnal and most of us with day jobs just can't stay up all night staking out a field, even on the weekend.

Ours don't keep hours. All the ones I've taken this year have been in broad daylight around 9am.
I'm in the mountains between the Mojave desert and the San Joaquin Valley and it's VERY dry. The local rancher that leases the area I am responsible for has cattle troughs for water and I keep an eye on them. They're usually not far from there.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

casonet wrote:
I bet Elmer Keith would have no trouble with his Model 29

Elmer wanted S&W to simply standardize his 1,200 foot per second 44 Special load of 17.5 grains of 2400 under a 250 grain Keith SWC, but being Elmer he was delighted when they lengthened the case 1/10” (to keep the new round out of 44 Special revolvers) and presented him with the blistering 44 Magnum at just over 1,400 feet per second. Keith put away #5 and took up the new 44 Magnum.

But the new round required a new, larger sized revolver, and a half jacket that usually came with a hollow point on the bullet. Later loads were made a bit milder. The lead bullet loads for the 44 Magnum do well to equal Elmer’s original hot loads for the 44 Special.

And of course no handgun round has an excess of power when confronted with a hog that weighs hundreds of pounds.

A 44 Magnum or hand loaded 44 Special is by far the best handgun to pack where there are hogs around, as anything more powerful isn’t very practical for everyday carry, and those rounds both offer big, fat, heavy bullets traveling at or more than 1,200 feet per second.

But even a 38 Special would beat throwing rocks at a hog.

But make mine a 44 Special Ruger Flattop.

Elmer, would approve.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

All of us being Keith fans already knew all of that so there was no need to re-educate us. Why did you feel the need to do so? That post, I felt, was condescending.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:30 am 
Crown Grade

Casonet, there are some hogs down around Hillsdale or at least there used to be. The State wouldn't let "ordinary" people hunt them, so they blew who knows how much of our tax money hiring helicopters and "professionals" to shoot them.

I doubt if they got all of them.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have property In SE Oklahoma that is totally infested with them. It is open for hunting them 24/7

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:56 am 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
I have property In SE Oklahoma that is totally infested with them. It is open for hunting them 24/7

We need to hook up. {hs#

Fairly regularly. :mrgreen:

Too bad I work 7 days a week these days LOL. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:00 pm 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:

I’m happy to help control the herd!

Let me know when and where and I’ll bring a friend.

Post subject: Better keep that 44 handy, to shoot a feral hog
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It’s not just me. Almost all of the land owners are of the same frame of mind. Same way in Texas. All you have to do is just show up and ask.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:22 pm 
Crown Grade

EricB wrote:
YES! I’ve been trying to rationalize an AR-308/AR-10!

Just beware if you decide to MAKE one.

They are NOT STANDARD like AR15's.

There are basically TWO major .308-class AR "standards", the AR10 (Armalite Proprietary and The Original) and the DPMS LR308/SR25/Aero Precision M5.

Beyond that, there are a few other companies making their own proprietary versions.

MOST MAJOR PARTS ARE NOT CROSS COMPATIBLE among these.

With an AR10 you basically are stuck with Armalite parts (barrels, bolts/carriers, buffers, handguards (barrel nut is different), triggers, receiver halves, magazines (recently an AR10 version finally uses SR25 magazines).

The SR25 is the 900# Gorilla of "aftermarket components", uses AR15 parts except receiver bolt/carrier, barrel, buffer/spring, magazines (the parts that deal with a 2.8" long cartridge). Of course the handguards are bigger because the barrel and nut are bigger.
AR15 buffer tubes, triggers, stocks.
SR25 has access to Magpul Magazines (P-Mags), probably best magazine out there.

So, if you are a "why pay someone else to make it for me" guy like me, do your research well.

If you just go "off the shelf", IMO shop by Magazines, and IMO NO .308-class AR should be without an adjustable gas block, and should NEVER have a Carbine-Length gas system.

They are great rifles. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

casonet wrote:
All of us being Keith fans already knew all of that so there was no need to re-educate us. Why did you feel the need to do so? That post, I felt, was condescending.

What is old gray hairs all know by heart, to a fair haired youth, might be their first introduction to Elmer Keith.

Keith has been shooting his 44s in heaven for nearly forty years, and he was an old, old man when he died. Anybody under fifty can’t remember reading a brand new Keith story in an outdoor book.

And Skeeter too, is no longer in current memory.

A Skeeter load in a 44 Special would hurt a hog pretty badly.

If, you knew what a Skeeter load was.:)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:30 am 
Crown Grade

Skeeter's "load" was 7.5 gr Unique under a 245 gr LSWC.

But I don't think he came up with it. Elmer had shot that load when Skeeter was a pup.

In fact, did Skeeter even own a .44 Spl before he got out of the Army? I remember reading stories about him owning a .32-20.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:02 am 
Diamond Grade

OldStufferA5#1911 wrote:
EricB wrote:
YES! I’ve been trying to rationalize an AR-308/AR-10!

Just beware if you decide to MAKE one.

They are NOT STANDARD like AR15's.

There are basically TWO major .308-class AR "standards", the AR10 (Armalite Proprietary and The Original) and the DPMS LR308/SR25/Aero Precision M5.

Beyond that, there are a few other companies making their own proprietary versions.

MOST MAJOR PARTS ARE NOT CROSS COMPATIBLE among these.

With an AR10 you basically are stuck with Armalite parts (barrels, bolts/carriers, buffers, handguards (barrel nut is different), triggers, receiver halves, magazines (recently an AR10 version finally uses SR25 magazines).

The SR25 is the 900# Gorilla of "aftermarket components", uses AR15 parts except receiver bolt/carrier, barrel, buffer/spring, magazines (the parts that deal with a 2.8" long cartridge). Of course the handguards are bigger because the barrel and nut are bigger.
AR15 buffer tubes, triggers, stocks.
SR25 has access to Magpul Magazines (P-Mags), probably best magazine out there.

So, if you are a "why pay someone else to make it for me" guy like me, do your research well.

If you just go "off the shelf", IMO shop by Magazines, and IMO NO .308-class AR should be without an adjustable gas block, and should NEVER have a Carbine-Length gas system.

They are great rifles. :)

Thanks OldStuffer, I knew about the non mil-spec situation and still on the fence about building my own. While I did build my own AR following the Sandy Hook scare, I’d probably be fine with a DPMS or similar right off the shelf this time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:40 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Most land owners around here would be more than happy for you to stake out their fields overnight and exterminate feral hogs. But can you stay up all night shooting hogs and still be functional Monday morning?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:42 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ezra Smack wrote:
Most land owners around here would be more than happy for you to stake out their fields overnight and exterminate feral hogs. But can you stay up all night shooting hogs and still be functional Monday morning?

Hell yes. Give me an address!

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Monday is my office day. No problemo!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:34 am 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:

"What is old gray hairs all know by heart, to a fair haired youth, might be their first introduction to Elmer Keith.

Keith has been shooting his 44s in heaven for nearly forty years, and he was an old, old man when he died. Anybody under fifty can’t remember reading a brand new Keith story in an outdoor book.

And Skeeter too, is no longer in current memory.

A Skeeter load in a 44 Special would hurt a hog pretty badly.

If, you knew what a Skeeter load was.:)"

SuperX is correct! Don't assume that because you know something, so does everyone else.
I LIKE Superx's comments and enjoy reading what he posts.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:04 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, enjoy him. Most of us have a different opinion. You might enjoy looking up some “Lum and Abner” videos on YouTube or even “Ma and Paw Kettle of the Ozarks” as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:07 pm 
Crown Grade

There should be a nice range of content available for folks between Pa Kettle and Red Dawn. :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

He taught Dirty Harry how to shoot...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:13 pm 
Crown Grade

Since this thread was about Skeeter Skelton, here's some reading material for those who weren't around in his heyday.
http://darkcanyon.net/skeeter_skelton.htm

Same for Elmer Keith
http://www.elmerkeithshoot.org/GA/

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next