ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Better keep that 44 handy, to shoot a feral hog
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:12 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have shot the just behind the ear at 200 yards with my 220 Swift and they drop into a pile.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

casonet wrote:
I have shot the just behind the ear at 200 yards with my 220 Swift and they drop into a pile.

I'll bet they do!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:32 pm 
Crown Grade

What happened once upon a time with a perfectly placed bullet is irrelevant! The famous African ivory hunter "Bell" used something like a 6 or 6.5 mm mauser with perfectly placed bullets. He also nearly became part of the African soil on a number of occasions!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Uh....we’re not talking about dangerous African animals here. Mainly 30-50 lb feral hogs on my land.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My favorite size! Easy for this old man to gut out and drag back to the truck, and easy to butcher out at home. Also better tasting than the really bigger ones, IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:20 pm 
Crown Grade

geometric wrote:
What happened once upon a time with a perfectly placed bullet is irrelevant! The famous African ivory hunter "Bell" used something like a 6 or 6.5 mm mauser with perfectly placed bullets. He also nearly became part of the African soil on a number of occasions!

.275 Rigby was the rifle most attributed to Bell's swatting of elephants. The 7x57's 175ish grain bullet did track deep.

Hopefully, there are not ranchers or farmers in sections of the country complaining of hogs and all the while quietly working to keep a new income stream flowing.
Hogs do too much damage to habitat, et al to play games.....kinda sorta like whitetail deer in some states.

Post subject: Better keep that 44 handy, to shoot a feral hog
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:46 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I raised bison for meat for several years. The slaughter house required that I bring them dead because they would either injure someone or tear up equipment. We are talking 1300 lb 2 year old bulls. For years I would dispatch mine with nothing more than a 30-30 with one well placed shot behind the ear. They would immediately drop dead. Then slit the throat and load them on a trailer with a skid steer and on to slaughter. Right here in Kansas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wow! A 1,300 lb. bison must yield a lot of edible meat. Years ago I saw some bison up close in the bison paddock at Golden Gate Park and was taken aback at their great size, especially the bulls at the front shoulders. Tremendous animals. How are they on the table?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:14 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I like it better than beef. The largest bison auction in the world is coming up soon in Salina. Normally over 500 animals a day. It’s a hoot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I'm glad we still have some. It's shameful that millions of them were slaughtered wastefully.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:25 pm 
Diamond Grade

Not that I mind having a reason to buy a new gun but I’ve decided to reduce my sidearm ordnance to .357 & 9mm with a couple of .22s for good measure. I’ll just have to be real accurate with the magnums if I get into hogs and the .270 fails me.

I won’t be buying a .44.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:27 pm 
Crown Grade

"We are not talking about dangerous African game---"
No, but I am kind of confused as to what you are talking about. It appears to be the good old "apples & oranges comparison". I am talking about ill tempered wild boar big enough to hurt or kill you & you are referring to 75 lb. pigs! A truly wild feral hog isn't African but they are dangerous! Especially when they are fighting for their lives! I know domestic hogs can reach over 1200 lbs.. I don't know how credible reports of 950 lb. wild hogs are but aren't you the guy that wrote about the hog that was big as a refrigerator, sideways? Can a .22 cal. centerfire rifle kill a hog? Sure, it happens all the time. Am I going to face a bad hog with a varmint rifle? I think you know that answer already. Sitting up in a deer stand 200 yds. away, you are not at much risk. When a big tusker comes at you out of a cane break 10' away, it's sort of a different situation! No piglets in this discussion! I'm not going to get in a P-P'n contest over it. You can hunt 'em with a slingshot if you want

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My place, my pigs, my gun. Never had a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:39 pm 
Crown Grade

casonet, were those your bison down northwest of Drexel? At one time there were quite a few in that herd but they're gone now.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:53 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Actually my neighbor’s ranch at Garnett.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:13 am 
Crown Grade

"my place, my pigs-----"
Super, if that's what works for you, go for it! I am not trying to tell you are anybody else what to do. Just trying to share what I think I have learned. If you don't like it, that's fine. It is rare that everybody likes all of the opinions in a discussion. This is a discussion, isn't it? People will make their own decisions regardless of what anybody says. I hope that I have helped some make better decisions!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:59 am 
Crown Grade

This boar went through several dogs. I see a couple of Dogo Argentinos there. Those wounded and survived are not going to be charging at the first pig they see.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:17 pm 
Crown Grade

Yup, one picture is worth a 1000 words! They are not that dangerous to a still hunter but if fighting is the only way out, they will fight! They will do to you what they did to those dogs if you are blocking the escape route. Attacks under other conditions have been reported but I never saw any.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:55 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hogs are dangerous game. I know one hunter who had his calf gashed wide open and nearly bled out trying to crawl back to his truck. After several expensive surgeries he still has to wear a brace because of perminet nerve damage. Another hunter escaped serious injury but was knocked for a flip when a hog charged and hit him low in the legs. He was left momentarily stunned and disoriented but luckily the hog ran off. Sure hogs are not dangerous when shot from a stand at a distance, but neither are Cape buffalo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

Ezra Smack wrote:
Hogs are dangerous game. I know one hunter who had his calf gashed wide open and nearly bled out trying to crawl back to his truck. After several expensive surgeries he still has to wear a brace because of perminet nerve damage. Another hunter escaped serious injury but was knocked for a flip when a hog charged and hit him low in the legs. He was left momentarily stunned and disoriented but luckily the hog ran off. Sure hogs are not dangerous when shot from a stand at a distance, but neither are Cape buffalo.

^^One of the most true statements on hog hunting I've ever read.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next