ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Better keep that 44 handy, to shoot a feral hog
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

casonet wrote:
Uh....we’re not talking about dangerous African animals here. Mainly 30-50 lb feral hogs on my land.

This is what I can’t figure out.

All my life, I’ve heard about little, skinny, half starved Arkansas “razorbacks”, mainly further south than Humansville.

And the first feral hog I look at and actually see, is literally the size of a refrigerator lying down, or a small truck bed. That hog, is a big boy!

From what I’ve heard and read, these latest big monsters have escaped from those “dial a hunt” game farms.

Wherever else, that hog looked like he’d have weighed fifty pounds still sucking the teat.

I’d hate to get between him and somewhere he wanted to go.

And a sow that size with pigs, would be a real threat to anybody that she thought was after the little ones.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Since I started hunting feral hogs as a teen in the 60's, hog hunting has undergone a tremendous transformation. We have always had wild hogs but back then you didn't see many that would go over 250 lbs. & there were not a lot except in isolated areas. You can be sure a 250 lb. boar can be plenty dangerous when backed in a corner. Now the wildlife department kills hundreds of them on DNR land every year & they are definitely getting bigger, a lot bigger! I don't know how credible reports of 950 lb. hogs are but judging by the pics, they are plenty big! Not only that, they didn't just escape from farmer Brown's pig pen. They have been wild for many generations. One of our families in-laws raised breeding stock for Duroc hogs. He had some brood boares that tipped the scales at over 1200 pounds. A wild hog lives a much harder life & won't get that big but that leaves a lot of territory beyond 250 lbs.! That's getting close to the size of a big grizzly! These huge hogs are a relatively recent phenomenon. I hope we don't start getting reports of people that are seriously injured or worse !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:07 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Shooting them will never put a dent into the population, but it sure makes you feel good. The Noble Foundation in Oklahoma developed the trap that follows that really works, but is expensive.

https://youtu.be/T4oNA8ViuwI

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:04 am 
Diamond Grade

That’s a cool trap.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:55 am 
Crown Grade

I guess they need to be controlled but I'll leave that to others. I just like to hunt them. Hogs don't look very smart but they are! They learn fast! They had peanuts planted where I killed the last one I shot. My late cousin leased the land & subleased it to somebody else. There were hog traps all over the place that were left undisturbed. I hunted on my cousins farm since the 1960's and never saw as much as a hog track. Well, they are there now, lots of them!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Control efforts aren’t even close to being enough. Fish and game use helicopters and machine guns, as does the military on military reservations like Fort Sill. The problem is the fecundity of the species; ten or more per litter. Any and all means are necessary in the fight including legalized night vision hunting. Even the, the only event that is going to put a sizable dent into the population is a pandemic like the Asian swine flu, that will also wipe out domestic animals.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:02 pm 
Crown Grade

What amazes me about our DNR is they want you to kill coyotes & hogs but then they make laws & regulations that make it difficult or near impossible to kill one. They are so afraid you are going to kill a deer, you can't carry anything on a WMA after deer season that will reliably kill anything bigger than a rabbit! I want to protect deer from illegal hunting as well but I don't think that law saves many deer. You can shoot them at night on private land if you notify DNR first but the restrictions are not very realistic. You can't shoot them with shot larger than something like #2 or a rifle larger than .22 in certain scenarios like during small game season after deer season but it is legal to kill hogs anytime! Dog hunters have been the most effective in controlling them here but the hogs are winning!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We don’t have those problems in fly over country