ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mining engineers
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a bright 16 year old grandson that is interested in the above profession. Is there anyone out there that may know something on the subject, you know, demand, pay, potential work locations etc.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Mining engineers
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:34 pm 
Crown Grade

Due to the developing crisis, salaries are changing rapidly. Here is the average salary for Mining Engineers in the United States since March 2020.
Latest average base salary
$105,946
per year

From Indeed

Salary
$55k - $117k
Bonus
$2k - $24k
Profit Sharing
$2k - $33k
Total Pay
$58k - $127k

From Payscale

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:33 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounce, thanks that is more than I new before.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:02 am 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
Check out Colorado School of Mines https://www.mines.edu/academics/me-ba/ I'm sure their admissions department has outreach programs to help prospective students learn about their programs and possible career paths.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Colo. School of Mines is a great school but with out state tuition @$40,000/yr the family is looking at the South Dakota School of Mines.The fees there are $15,000 out state.
The S.D.school is probably a better fit. My son, his uncle, went there and lives nearby. My daughter in law works at the school.
He is going to do some online class work with the S.D. school that if completed will result in some credits.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:27 am 
Crown Grade

Don't know thew costs, but UNR (Reno) has the Mackay School of Earth Sciences (used to be called the Mackay school of mines). With all of the gold mines in NV it might be an option.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:50 pm 
Field Grade

I work in the industry as a geoscientist and work closely with many fine mining engineers. Can be a great career with a lot of opportunities during the good times. When metal prices or commodities are down, it can be a bit more challenging. I have been quite impressed with the quality of recent graduates and they give me hope for the younger generation. Lots of reasonably well paid internships that commonly translate into FT positions upon graduation. SD school of Mines, Colorado School of Mines, Montana Tech and some others are all well regarded and in many cases are fantastic values when considering education costs vs earnings performance. I think most of the recent newly graduated hires are starting at 60,000-70,000 + with relatively rapid wage increase opportunities. I would encourage his interest. If you are in South Dakota, take him to the School of Mines. I imagine that it would be easy to set up a visit and actually talk to some of the staff. One of the great things about the mining schools is that they are generally smaller and you have 1 on 1 interaction with the professors, rather tan just grad students teaching courses.

I hope this was helpful, but feel free to ask any other questions and I will try to provide answers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

39, Thanks for the reply. His family is very much aware of S.D.Mines. Our son, his uncle. got a B.S.and a Masters at mines. My daughter in law ( his aunt)works and recruits for the school. It is a tough school to recruit to because there are not many easy majors. No Gender Study degrees, political science,etc. All STEM. The student body always hovers around 2000-2500.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mining is a very tough field. I would advise a science and math guy to go into nuclear engineering today. Nobody does it. Nuclear power plants have trouble finding qualified people for really high paying jobs, and it is maybe likely that nuclear power could increase in the future. When I worked for an engineering consulting firm for power generation back about many years ago, it was actually developed the technology that would stop any sort of nuclear melt down like Chernoble in Russia. The development was the nuclear material was constructed so that it expanded when heated until the reaction stopped due to the material getting spaced further apart with the heat. This whipped the problem of what happens if the nuclear power plant loses cooling water like the one in Japan did when they had their emergency. At the point when that technology was developed it really became a safe energy generation method.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:51 pm 
Crown Grade

University of Mo at Rolla was always a good mining engineering school as well as other engineering disciplines. It was called the Missouri School of Mines before I attended. It is now called the Missouri University of Science and Technology - Missouri S&T.

It advertises many different undergraduate programs as well as the only PHD in Explosives Engineering in the country! Boom!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oyeme wrote:
University of Mo at Rolla was always a good mining engineering school as well as other engineering disciplines. It was called the Missouri School of Mines before I attended. It is now called the Missouri University of Science and Technology - Missouri S&T.

It advertises many different undergraduate programs as well as the only PHD in Explosives Engineering in the country! Boom!

The grandson signed up for a week long program in explosives at The South Dakota school last summer. After classroom work they were going to the Crazy Horse Monument in nearby Custer S.D.and do some actual blasting.
Then the covid thing hit and the whole thing blew up.Pardon the pun.The school canceled the whole thing.