ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Here's a gun safe maintenance tip.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:19 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Next time you have the door open to your gun safe, with door open, close the handle so the locking bolts will come out of the door. Some safes have a rod that sticks out on the hinge side of the door that keeps you from closing the handle while door is open & keeps bolts from coming up. Push this rod in (as it does when the door is shut) & then close handle so bolts will come out. With a oily rag, wipe the bolts off, this will coat the bolts with oil. Open handle so bolts will go back into the door, shut the door & close the handle several times. You will notice the handle will be a lot easier to operate. I do this through out the year.

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"

Post subject: Re: Here's a gun safe maintenance tip.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:28 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I'll keep tip #2 to myself.

Endowment Life Member NRA, NRA Certified Firearms Instructor (Rifle,Shotgun,Handgun), Georgia Hunter Safety Instructor, Boy Scout Merit Badge Counselor (Rifle,Shotgun). MOTTO: "Molding Young Minds Is The Future" & "I'm The NRA"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:49 pm 
Field Grade

Please don't keep it to yourself I'd love to hear more gun safe maintenance tips.

The best thing I ever did to my safe was to install interior LED lighting. I wired in an infra red motion sensor switch. Now the light comes on when I open the door. Just like a refrigerator. Very convenient and the lighting makes opening the safe a pleasure

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:37 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

piano2ner wrote:
Please don't keep it to yourself I'd love to hear more gun safe maintenance tips.

The best thing I ever did to my safe was to install interior LED lighting. I wired in an infra red motion sensor switch. Now the light comes on when I open the door. Just like a refrigerator. Very convenient and the lighting makes opening the safe a pleasure

Well dog gone it... piano2ner, that was my tip #2. I've got a few more tips coming. Keep a eye on this topic.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:32 pm 

If you have a tumbler lock. Spray some lubricant on the gears from the back side. Mine has a hole to do so once I removed the door panel. It's as smooth as butter now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:04 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Not a maintenance tip for the gun safe, but its a tip for storing long guns with recoil pads.

Recoil pads on rifles & shotguns. To keep them from sticking to the carpet, I cut a 3"X7" piece from wax paper & place under the recoil pad. Although this keeps them from sticking, the weight of the long gun will deform some recoil pads over a period of time. With thought of placement, some shotguns that have recoil pads I'll remove the barrel & place a ziplock bag over the action end & store with the butt stock up. Ziplock bag keeps any oil from getting on the carpet. With rifles that have recoil pads, I store them in the front row with barrel down. The harder recoil pads get the wax paper.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:20 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Another non-maintenance tip for the gun safe.

My safe has the dial type lock, even though the room is well lit those numbers are hard to see even with reading glasses. So.. more light is needed. I use one of those bore lights that has a flexible neck with the light on the end & comes with a magnet on the body that holds the AAA battery. Sticks right on the door above the dial & adjust the light to that right spot for those numbers to be seen. Think I got mine for under $5.

Oops... should have added this in this post.
The bore light I have is a "REAL AVID BORE LIGHT AVBR101-B" it takes 3 LR44 batteries. Not a AAA battery.

Last edited by dovehunter on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The main tip that I can offer is keep your safe a secret and out of sight to visitors. If thieves don't know you have it they will not come with the heavy tools to necessary to defeat or move it. Remember, it is not your trusted buddies who are going to break in and steal your guns. It is the guy that overhears him talking about your big gun collection.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:54 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Ezra Smack wrote:
The main tip that I can offer is keep your safe a secret and out of sight to visitors. If thieves don't know you have it they will not come with the heavy tools to necessary to defeat or move it. Remember, it is not your trusted buddies who are going to break in and steal your guns. It is the guy that overhears him talking about your big gun collection.

Very good advice! Only thing with me is, everyone that knows me... well knows me & that I'm involved with the shooting sports one way or another. If you read my signature line at the bottom of my post you'll see why.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:22 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Ezra Smack wrote:

Another good point, someone involved in the shooting sports or just a gun owner, needs to go a step further than just a gun safe. Having a good security system including recording cameras, extra insurance on firearms, plus a good record of firearms including S/N's. Even installing the better fool proof door hinges, door locks & door knobs. Sometimes going the extra mile is the best route.