ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 14th November 1940 ... the Coventry raid
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:21 pm 
Crown Grade

Just posting this as a bit of self indulgence in proud and loving memory of my late father, Leading Fireman (as he was on that night) Pat Molloy.

The Coventry raid was as it turned out, not the biggest nor the worst he and his crews attended, but it was the first that really shook them. Dad, a cradle Catholic, said that if this was what Christian people did to each other he wanted non of it. He lost his Faith that night and never really regained it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-34746691

In love and respect Dad.

Post subject: Re: 14th November 1940 ... the Coventry raid
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Wow, quite a story. I had no idea, in spite of being born in 1949 and learning much about WWll. In any case, my respect goes to your father. I would not have wanted his job at the time of that air raid.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:25 pm 
Crown Grade

As horrible as it was, the decision by Goering to shift the bombing emphasis from the RAF fighter bases to the cities in all likelihood saved Britain. It was a colossal blunder, one that gave Fighter Command the breathing space it needed and contributed greatly to the allied victory in the Battle of Britain.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:39 pm 
Crown Grade

Thank for sharing that, excellent.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:30 am 
Crown Grade

eugene molloy wrote:
Just posting this as a bit of self indulgence in proud and loving memory of my late father, Leading Fireman (as he was on that night) Pat Molloy.

The Coventry raid was as it turned out, not the biggest nor the worst he and his crews attended, but it was the first that really shook them. Dad, a cradle Catholic, said that if this was what Christian people did to each other he wanted non of it. He lost his Faith that night and never really regained it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-34746691

In love and respect Dad.

That is a sad commentary. I am aware of the horrors of war and my father experienced that nightmare for four years. No disrespect of your father intended, but I would say it was a lack of Christianity that lead to his horrible experience.
Someone show me where in the New Testament evil acts, by people calling themselves Christians, are sanctioned.

Honor is due your father and the other brave men and women that stopped a great evil from enslaving the world.
I believe that evil would have succeeded without the intervention of God.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:18 pm 
Crown Grade

eugene molloy wrote:
In love and respect Dad.

My respect to your father,Eug.

Best regards-
Vikram

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Cheers Vikram, chaps.

Eugene

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Man's inhumanity to Man is no more sanctioned by the Christian faith than any other.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell