ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's your Deer Rifle?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In thick woods, it’s my Marlin 336SC in .35 Rem or my Marlin 336A in .30-30. In more open or mixed country, it’s my Ruger 77 MKll 7x57mm with handloads.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:32 pm 
Crown Grade

In WV, a .270 Model 70 or a Ruger .257 Bob.

In OH, always a slug gun of some type, Deerslayer mostly.
Now, in Ohio one can use all sorts of scary, silly stuff meant to kill the things but most, by far, now sit in a tree with a pee bottle and archery tackle.
Always was boring regardless but as I aged it simply became too much for far too little.

Glad some folks enjoy it tho.
I talked to the fella farming my place this evening, youth is tomorrow and his young son is using a 350 something or other...8# of recoil, I think he said.
Makes it swell for the kids and hope the lad has both luck and fun.
Myself, A simple pandemic of ehd or the like would suffice.....deer have occasioned changes in this region I would just as soon have foregone.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Multiflora wrote:
In WV, a .270 Model 70 or a Ruger .257 Bob.

In OH, always a slug gun of some type, Deerslayer mostly.
Now, in Ohio one can use all sorts of scary, silly stuff meant to kill the things but most, by far, now sit in a tree with a pee bottle and archery tackle.
Always was boring regardless but as I aged it simply became too much for far too little.

Glad some folks enjoy it tho.
I talked to the fella farming my place this evening, youth is tomorrow and his young son is using a 350 something or other...8# of recoil, I think he said.
Makes it swell for the kids and hope the lad has both luck and fun.
Myself, A simple pandemic of ehd or the like would suffice.....deer have occasioned changes in this region I would just as soon have foregone.

As a tree sitter, I would definitely give it up to have the ruffed grouse back! God, I miss it still

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

My 2 favorites are a Rem 722 in 257 Roberts and A Winchester P0ST 64 MOD 70 FEATHERWEIGHT IN 7X57 Mauser. I have the components on hand to build a .338,06 on a Mau 98 action. THat should cover it all. Skeet,Trap,and Sporting Clays are all covered by Citories. Hunting shotgun is a Beretta 686 12ga. with 20ga.Briley tubes, and I just got a Savage MKII fr .22 fun.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:33 pm 
Crown Grade

I popped a six pointer with the sks Saturday morning. Tree stand in swampy fairly thick mixed hardwoods and conifers. 7.62x39mm 124g. soft point went through broad side at top of heart and just barely nicked the lungs. That deer didn't bleed a drop as far as I could tell. No hair on the ground where it was shot. No blood trail. At first I was thinking I might have missed, but it was twenty yards from the tree I was was up in, less than a thirty yard shot. I saw it run away out of sight with its front legs splayed out, and I thought for sure I heard it crash to a stop. I found it about 75 yards from where it was shot. It was just dumb luck that it fell in a less brushy less swampy more open area, white side up. One shot kill, but I think it's miracle it was recovered. I had almost given up as a miss.

First time I ever shot a deer in the heart, there was no blood on the hide, not even on the exit wound. I'd think I'd rather shoot em in the lungs. Not really sure, but I guess if the heart ain't pumping there is nothing to pump the blood out.

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Glad you found him, OT. Did you get a pass through with that bullet, i.e., was there an exit hole?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:37 pm 
Crown Grade

oldthompson wrote:
I popped a six pointer with the sks Saturday morning. Tree stand in swampy fairly thick mixed hardwoods and conifers. 7.62x39mm 124g. soft point went through broad side at top of heart and just barely nicked the lungs. That deer didn't bleed a drop as far as I could tell. No hair on the ground where it was shot. No blood trail. At first I was thinking I might have missed, but it was twenty yards from the tree I was was up in, less than a thirty yard shot. I saw it run away out of sight with its front legs splayed out, and I thought for sure I heard it crash to a stop. I found it about 75 yards from where it was shot. It was just dumb luck that it fell in a less brushy less swampy more open area, white side up. One shot kill, but I think it's miracle it was recovered. I had almost given up as a miss.

First time I ever shot a deer in the heart, there was no blood on the hide, not even on the exit wound. I'd think I'd rather shoot em in the lungs. Not really sure, but I guess if the heart ain't pumping there is nothing to pump the blood out.

For this very reason is why I adopted the high shoulder shot years ago. They don't go anywhere if hit there. My friend who has hunted more big game than I have, finally tried it this year after losing 3 deer in steep Kentucky woods. He and his grandson killed 3 this year and none budged when shot high in the shoulder. That placement just works!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes Lossking, passed all the way through. I think the bullet held together but I'm not exactly sure. There is only about 3/4 of the heart left fit to eat. The lung facing me was ruptured when I gutted it but the one on the exit side was not.

I'll have a better idea exactly where it was hit when I skin it tomorrow. My shot was further forward and a good bit lower than I wanted, right behind front leg.

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:46 pm 
Crown Grade

Oyeme, I shot a little ten pointer out of the same stand last year, same round, same rifle.

Hit high in the shoulder, bullet passed through and the deer dropped in its tracks. Never saw that before then, had to shoot it again from my tree as it kicked ten minutes after first shot.

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:11 pm 
Crown Grade

The last two nice bucks I killed dropped dead in their tracks. I was lucky both times as the bullets hit too high but they both severed the back bone. The second one was chasing a doe at full throttle & was 200 yardish when I shot. They guy I was with couldn't believe I killed it. I don't kill great quantities of deer but the only one that ran any distance in the last 30 years was a doe I shot dead center thru the heart with a .54 cal. round ball. She ran about 50 yds. & dropped. Maybe I have a horseshoe stuck somewhere. Lossking, I like big bullets also! Bullet placement rules but big bullets give you more margin of error. Back when I was a kid, hunting with a 30-30, kills were not always so clean!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:23 pm 
Crown Grade

oldthompson wrote:

Strange, but it happens. Always assume a hit. I called up 2 gobblers a couple years ago. They came up the edge of a open field. I shot the biggest. He zigged when I zagged! I thought I missed him clean. Birds took off across the field in warp speed. Half way across, my bird stopped and fell over without a quiver. Had it not been in that field, I would have lost that bird and never knew I had hit it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hate it when there's no blood trail to follow. I like the lung shot as there's almost always a blood trail with a pass through/exit hole. It's true that the high shoulder shot is a DRT, but it screws up a bunch of meat especially with high velocity rounds like .270, .30-06, etc. Better than losing the deer, though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Got that deer reduced to venison. Any much more forward and any lower and I might not have killed that deer. On the plus side, apart from the heart, I did not ruin but a cupful of rib meat. :D

Gotta aim a bit aft next time. I'm always afraid picking a shot. Never was any good at it. Never shot one in the guts though either.

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:32 am 
Crown Grade

Any shot that hits or comes real close to the spine floors them. It doesn't always kill and the ones that just got the equivalent of a Judo chop to the neck will eventually get up, so you've got to get over there post haste and administer the coup de grace or whatever that French word is.

If they run some distance, if you hit them in the right spot, they'll be dead when you find them.

If they drop like a stone, better poke that eye to make sure they're dead.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:44 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oldthompson wrote:
Got that deer reduced to venison. Any much more forward and any lower and I might not have killed that deer. On the plus side, apart from the heart, I did not ruin but a cupful of rib meat. :D

Gotta aim a bit aft next time. I'm always afraid picking a shot. Never was any good at it. Never shot one in the guts though either.

Good deal, OT. All's well that ends well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:49 pm 
Crown Grade

A tip a gunsmith gave me years ago was use heavier bullets if you want to minimize meat damage. They are generally built heavier for larger game than deer. The .300 Win. is pretty much overkill for deer but my rifles have never fired a factory round. I have killed deer in recent years with everything from buckshot to a 45-70 but the 300 is what I hunt with most often. I have been loading Hornady 180 gr. Spire points at a published 2900+/- fps.. A late friend loved fast expanding 150 gr. bullets with hot loads in his .308. They killed fast enough, but I cringe every time I think of the mess they made!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:49 pm 
Crown Grade

Geo, there are only two factory 7.62X39mm soft point bullets available in factory loading that I am aware of, the 124 grain SP and the 147 grain SP. They make 122 grain hollow points too, along with FMJ, but the hollow points are dum-dums designed to tumble and not expand. Totally unsuitable for deer.

I'm still working on a 240 round quarter case of Russian made 124 grain soft point that I bought in like 1998. Got about 80 rounds left. I should pick up some 147 grain to try. Considering that I most never need to shoot more than 75 yards or so a heavier, slower bullet would be more ideal.

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:05 pm 
Crown Grade

Sorry oldthompson, I wasn't thinking commercial ammo. & didn't make that clear. Maybe you could find custom ammo. or get somebody to load some for you? Also, that was a general comment & not made in reference to any specific caliber.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:55 pm 
Field Grade

A Mathews DXT is my prime deer hunting tool for archery season. Shot a decent 8 point two weeks ago with that.

I use an old Remington 1100 with slugs. Shot a small 10 point last week with it.

I also have a Traditions Vortek .50 cal muzzle loader for ML season which is in two weeks.

I do have a couple of rifles I would use if I ever get back to a state where they can be used.

Good luck to all you guys still hunting.
John

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:05 am 
Crown Grade

oldthompson wrote:
Anybody using an Armalite variant or other scary looking modern semi-auto?

MY beloved rifle, is my dad's late 1960's Browning BAR, .308W.

My youngest daughter (mid 20's), used Hog's Bane, my 18"-barreled SR25 last year (a 308W-class AR). She likes it.
Also .308W.

My 10-yr old has a .223R AR15 that he MIGHT use, when he has sufficient skill with it one day, with 62gr Barnes TSX's.

It is a lot easier to properly fit an AR-style rifle to people than to have wood stocks modified.

The BAR fits me fine.
The full-length Boyd wood stock on Bane fits me fine.
My daughter uses a collapsible carbine stock on it to fit her shorter length of pull.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next