ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your business and covid
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Those of you that own or work for a non essential business. How are you doing, is your income down or not effected?
My wife and I are in the custom window covering business. We order and manufacture draperies, shades, shutters ect. We install everything we sell and are in our 43rd year of doing business.
Believe it or not this year is maybe the best year we ever had for sales and by a wide margin. I am still trying to figure out why this is the case. Perhaps since travel is discouraged folks are spending more on their homes. We live in a rural area with a lot of farmers and ranchers and service older folks.
I consider our business non essential but there were no stay at home orders for our state.

Post subject: Re: Your business and covid
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have a small electrical business, I have more work this year than I can keep up with, I am constantly booked 6-8 weeks in advance. Seems like everyone is fixing things that have not worked in a long time.

cdb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:41 pm 
Crown Grade

Good to hear those stories. I’m thinking the stimulus money got spent for the most part.

I hope you both continue to do well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Who determines "essential"?

If it puts food on my table it is essential. The needs of my family come first. Way ahead of the common good, what is best for society or the collective. How many have to starve in order for my little girl to have food? ALL OF YOU! She comes first.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:59 pm 
Crown Grade

In my state the governor made a bunch of decrees and mandates but I've decided that the governor is non-essential.

In God We Trust.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:15 pm 
Crown Grade

My post retirement job in the sporting goods retail sector has done very well but that was often due to customers buying what we had rather than what the customer wanted. Due to supply problems, many had to buy a more expensive brand of a particular item rather than the less expensive "generic". For a while store shelves reminded me of when I was in Rusdia in the mid-1980's - many open spaces on store shelves with little depth to those items available. With all being what we would consider to be off brand generic products. And this was in the "foreigner" stores which were meant to showcase the quantity and quality of Russian products. If there would have been Wal-Marts there back then, that would be where the ruling elites would have shopped.

That said, I suspect sales numbers will begin to drop as many items have been depleted from the shelves and no resupply is in sight. Sales of big ticket items for the upcoming season are behind compared to last year I suspect due to the financial realities of decreased incomes for many as the $600 "bonus" to unemployment ran out and the realities of maintaining a household on a more limited budget come into play. I base this on observing a significant portion of those sales are with cash/debit card rather than credit card even though one can save a significant amount on the first purchase if they open a credit card with us.

From a retail perspective, this Chinese flu scare has been a financial boon so far. Whether it continues depends on the financial resources of the community and the ability of the production side to provide products to retailers. The last several months have shown great weaknesses in the hunting, shooting, boating, canoeing, kayaking, bicycling, camping, and fishing electronics areas for us. We will see how ice fishing holds up. Shelves are mostly filling up but I suspect there will be problems maintaining inventory as that season picks up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:29 pm 
Field Grade

I am in a specialty construction related business. During the stay home orders, we were busier than we would have normally been at that time of year. This is mostly because construction stayed active and projects that were ongoing actually moved faster because trades people could really only work. No kids sports to go to and no other hobby stuff to do. As time has gone on, we were about normal through the summer months. Fall tends to be our busiest time of year but this year is/was slow but that is also pretty typical for an election year. My bigger concern is that next year and beyond will bad. Permit applications are down, housing starts are down and the new economy will likely slow quite a bit. Home improvement/remodeling might still be strong as many people will be permanently working from home so they will want or need to make that situation the best as possible but new construction will take a hit I think.

Good luck to everyone moving forward.
John