ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Trulock Chokes

Post subject: Snow Goose Choke and Load Recommendation.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

I just booked a spring snow goose hunt and am looking for your Trulock choke and load recommendation. I’ll be shooting an HK imported original M1 super 90 Benelli with a max 3 inch shell. I’d like as tight a pattern as possible for pass shooting and for going deep into the flock as they back pedal and fly away after the first volley or two. Steel #1 or BB seem to be the size. Open to brand and speed. What say you based on all your patterning experience?

Post subject: Re: Snow Goose Choke and Load Recommendation.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:29 am 
Site Sponsor

Please accept my apologies as I overlooked your post.

My first choice would be a modified choke (.020 constriction) in the extended version for pass shooting with large steel shot.
Depending on the shell, this constriction normally will give you true full choke patterns. I would suggest a premium shell not over 1550 fps.
Having said the above, we do not offer the original Benelli designed chokes that were used prior to them being purchased by Beretta.
We could run them as a special.
If this is of interest to you contact me via email [email protected]
Again I apologize for the late reply.
George Trulock

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:09 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
As far as a specific load, I like Kent Fasteel 12ga 3 inch, 1-3/8 oz BB's @ 1300 fps

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:17 am 
Site Sponsor

I would expect that load to give a dense pattern with the .020 choke.
George Trulock

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

George and TAL thanks for the input. I’ve had access troubles and just picking this up now. I verified my gun uses the Beretta Mobil choke so I went onto your site and looked up options.

George, your recommendation would be a Precision Hunter PHBER12705 .020 constriction modified if you don’t want porting. I see over in the waterfowl area there is also a Super Waterfowl choke and for BB shot listed as SWBER12695 with .030 constiction listed for pass shooting. Thoughts on these two options? Unclear to me how much more advantage there is to the SW. What is the difference in pattern percentages?

This gun doubles for pheasant duty so an extended precision hunter mod suitable for #5 shot might make more sense than a Waterfowl exclusive.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:17 am 
Site Sponsor

Sir,
The mod constriction Precision Hunter style choke typically give the best performance for the price.
Usually the mod choke with BB's in a quality shell will give a percentage in the mid 70's and in many cases in the 80's.
On occasion it doesn't work well, giving open and or very "splotchy" patterns.
When that happens I go with the SW # 1.
You can expect as a rule with the SW#1 high 70's to low 80's.
In terms of performance I would say about 5% tighter on average. As you can easily get 5% variation in shot to shot pattern density most people will not shoot enough patterns if they pattern at all, to verify this. To top this off the cost of the steel used in the SW choke dictates a very steep price increase.

After having said all of the above, you have to pattern to know what you are getting because if you don't pattern, you don't know.
Hope this helps you.
If you want to discuss this feel free to call me between 8 and 5 Eastern time at 800-293-9402
George Trulock

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:22 pm 
Diamond Grade

Thanks George! Precision Hunter modified order placed tonight.